***GROUP BUY*** SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit for your 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default ***GROUP BUY*** SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit for your 996

SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit by FUNCTION-FIRST Performance

***GROUP BUY***
SHIFT-RIGHT Retrofit Kit regular price of $295 will be reduced to $265
SHIFT-RIGHT Core Exchange regular price of $349 will be reduced to $319

I was recently contacted by a customer about arranging a Group Buy for our SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit Upgrade, compatible with the 986/996/987/997 models. I’m opening this deal up to the Rennlist community, so please take advantage of the savings!

Once at least 5 people commit, the lower price will take effect and invoices will be emailed out. Following that, as people sign-up they’ll receive an invoice at the discounted rate immediately. There is no limit to the number sold. The Group Buy rate will expire August 12, so please reach out before then via email or PM.

Please be sure to include the following info:
1. Your name
2. Email address
3. Mailing address
4. Shifter unit model
5. Retrofit Kit or Core Exchange

Here is the link to the product page that outlines all the details of the kit, as well as installation instructions:
http://www.function-first.com/produc...right-solution

Please reach out with any questions. I'll be updating the buyer list at the bottom as people sign up.

***PLEASE NOTE***
South Carolina customers will be subject to sales tax.
There is a limited number of Core Exchange units in stock at any moment, so please plan accordingly - I will reach out with an estimated ship date.
Group Buy pricing is exclusive of S/H and Core Deposit fees.

Group Buy Participants

1. CarreraGuy02
2. bugeyemilo
3. Karnuts
4. The Ox
5. MaddMike
-----------------------------------------------------------------
6. MC968CS
7. modoz61
8. -
9. JEI-Porsche
10. the_buch
11. BauerR
12. -
13. Gear Rower
14. Nedster
15. Hilltopper
16. heliflyer
17. Hula
18. Long Islander1
19. kk2

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.

Last edited by Function-First; 01-09-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:38 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:29 PM
MrBigglesWorth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really tempting - anyone have reviews? Would you do this before/after in place of a short shift kit?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've gotten a lot of questions via PM and email about the kit - what it does, how it does it, how good it is etc. So I've compiled a little FAQ to help answer those questions, along with some customer reviews...

SHIFT-RIGHT Solution - FAQ

Q: Is this the best shifter upgrade value for my Porsche?
A: YES! No other shifter upgrade on the market matches the performance and durability of the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution for under $300. You will completely transform your shifter’s feel and accuracy, resulting in fewer missed shifts, smoother and more direct operation, and zero flex or play from the shifter.

Q: Is the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution a short shift kit?
A: No, the kit utilizes your original shift lever, so the shift throw remains unchanged.

Q: I like the kit, but I’m a little intimidated about installing it myself. What can you do for me?
A: We just rolled out a core-exchange program for 986/996 and 987/997 standard throw shifters! For an additional fee, you’ll receive an OEM shifter with the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution pre-installed that makes install plug and play – just send back your original shifter within 2 weeks of receipt to receive your core deposit refund. And best of all, a return shipping label is included to make the process that much easier! (USA customers only)

Q: What have other owners been saying about the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution?
A: Here are some owner reviews, in their own words…

CS-ICEMAN:
I took mine to COTA a couple weekends ago. Worked wonders. No trouble finding the gears. Yes, downshifting to 2nd was easy. No longer a concern about a misshift. I did not have to think about shifting. My hands were moving faster than my feet. I was shifting as fast as I could press the clutch.

intubator:
I have to say it made a significant difference in positive gear selection and smoothness in shifting between gears over what I had. In fact, I didn't realize the degree of drag I had become used to until I installed this kit with the roller bearings. The F1st bearing yoke is much better than the cheap plastic factory part and adds significantly to the smoothness and accuracy in the left/right gear selection movements, looks better too... I don't have the console on my car so everything is visible along the tunnel. I have been very happy with this upgrade and have done several track days with a greater degree of confidence while shifting between gears. I couldn't be happier.

husker boxster:
I'm happy to report the 5-4-3-2 downshift for T12 at COTA went very well. Happy with the solid feel and lack of sloppiness.

BillZ260:
Highly recommend, whether you have a stock shifter or a short shift kit, it removed all the slop in the pivots and transfer mechanisms. I think it actually helps the 2-3 shift smoothness as well where it used to hang up if you tried to force it too quickly before, maybe since there is ZERO play now, it's just straight shooting. Very satisfied.

eracer:
Just vouching for the product. I installed the Function First "Shift-Right Solution" Ball bearing kit in my 996T and was impressed with the product. It was installed in conjunction with the factory short shifter replacing the plastic bearings. The 'play'/'slop' in the shifter was reduced drastically and the shifting feels more tactile and precise. No more accidental shifting into the other gears. I'd definitely recommend this product to upgrade the driving experience. (Porsche should have designed it this way to begin with.)
Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only 2 more to go!
Old 07-13-2016, 01:06 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

Will this benefit (and work with) an after market short shift kit?
Old 07-13-2016, 02:47 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a 996 right now, but I'd be all over this if I did. Looks like a fantastic product.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBigglesWorth
This is really tempting - anyone have reviews? Would you do this before/after in place of a short shift kit?
This was the first thing I did to my 996 after I got it. The stock shifter was really imprecise, with what felt to me like huge amounts of play, and on the (otherwise excellent) test drive I was worried about hitting 2nd instead of 4th.

The FF shifter is the complete opposite. No slop, every gear is where it should be. Once the trans has warmed up, shifting is a joy.

I've not driven other alternative shifters so don't have much to compare to. And I didn't really consider a short shift kit, for a daily driver I'm fine with the stock throw. I went for the core exchange option, the extra $$ seemed like a no-brainier. Install was straightforward and the instructions are thorough. So overall I'm very happy with the FF product (and service).
Old 07-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Will this benefit (and work with) an after market short shift kit?
Absolutely! The SHIFT-RIGHT Solution is compatible with most all aftermarket short shift kits. As long as your short shifter utilizes the OEM shifter cradle, our kit will work, and you'll gain much needed smoothness and precision from your shifter.

Originally Posted by white out
I don't have a 996 right now, but I'd be all over this if I did. Looks like a fantastic product.
If you ever build another beast of a 996, give me a call!

Originally Posted by JimmyB
This was the first thing I did to my 996 after I got it. The stock shifter was really imprecise, with what felt to me like huge amounts of play, and on the (otherwise excellent) test drive I was worried about hitting 2nd instead of 4th.

The FF shifter is the complete opposite. No slop, every gear is where it should be. Once the trans has warmed up, shifting is a joy.

I've not driven other alternative shifters so don't have much to compare to. And I didn't really consider a short shift kit, for a daily driver I'm fine with the stock throw. I went for the core exchange option, the extra $$ seemed like a no-brainier. Install was straightforward and the instructions are thorough. So overall I'm very happy with the FF product (and service).

Thanks for the in-depth review! Very happy to have helped transform your driving experience and re-inject the performance your Porsche deserves.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:06 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

[QUOTE=Function-First;13447861]Absolutely! The SHIFT-RIGHT Solution is compatible with most all aftermarket short shift kits. As long as your short shifter utilizes the OEM shifter cradle, our kit will work, and you'll gain much needed smoothness and precision from your shifter.

Ok, thanks...this is the after market SSK setup I have (not yet installed):

It'll be going into my OEM 997 shifter cradle (I believe that's what I have).

You think I'd see greatly enhanced shifting feel by adding shift-right to this setup?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:04 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

IMO, yes this will greatly improve upon an aftermarket short shifter, and that sentiment has been echoed by several customers who have installed this on similar setups. Plus, there won't be a drop-off in precision like with the plain bearings the 3rd party short shifters implement.

Here are some reviews of the SHIFT-RIGHT installed on short throw shifters:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l#post13261202

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...r-tune-up.html

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...ml#post1028186
Old 07-17-2016, 09:07 PM
PedalMaxer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This product worked great for me. I recommend buying the shift alignment tool used to properly align the cables. I got one for under $10 shipped and it made a big difference in my case.

Before I did the shift right I had a ton of play in the shifter and I had a lot of trouble getting into 3rd and just shifting correctly in general. After I put the shift right in everything felt a lot tighter but I still had problems getting into 3rd and things felt off. When I used the shift gate tool I was surprised by how much the cables were off even though I had marked them before I did anything. Maybe this was caused by someone screwing around in there before, or maybe it was from the cables stretching overtime, I am not sure.

The bottom line is that after the shift right and using the alignment tool I have a huge improvement. It runs through the gears perfectly in every condition I have tried it in so far. I think my shifter was particularly bad, so I may have received more benefit than most from this, but it definitely worked as advertised for me.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are some before and after comparisons of the shifter mechanism, pre and post SHIFT-RIGHT Solution installation!

(Note that the BEFORE video is the stock shifter out of a 2001 986 Boxster S, and the AFTER videos are of a SHIFT-RIGHT retrofit kit upgraded factory 987/997 short shift kit. It's still an apples-to-apples comparison, since both units utilize the same bushings from the factory.)

BEFORE...
Excessive shifter play and slop, particularly in the fore/aft bushings.

AFTER...
Zero flex and zero play in the mechanism yields smooth, solid, predictable, and consistent shifter action.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Group Buy reduced pricing is now in effect.

Please reach out to secure your order!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

UPDATE:

The 996 Core Exchange units are back in stock!

Reduced group pricing on them is $319
+ $15.50 S/H both ways

Please PM or email to participate in the Group Buy.

Quick Reply: ***GROUP BUY*** SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit for your 996