Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Problem, Top Won't Open

Old 07-18-2016, 10:27 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

You are correct, I do no see a fuse between the module and the motor....

It appears the ground to the motor comes from its attachment to the chassis (via screws, bolts or nuts), as nothing else appears in the circuit.

Given that pin 1 is the one that opens the top, possible reasons:

1.- The module is not receiving all the OK signals to open the top and send the +voltage (seems you did all the homework here?, checked also the signals from the power windows, etc...?)

2.- The motor is shorted inside, grounding the +V voltage (hence reading zero) - unlikely

3.- There is something wrong inside the module (circuitry driving the motor) - likely

4.- Wire coming from the module to the motor is broken - likely
Attached Images  

Last edited by pesuazo; 07-18-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:17 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you figure out the issue? I have a newer to me 04 and have notices that this a common issue with droptops. I know that earlier p-cars have solder joint issues in control units and opening the boxes then resoldering seemed to correct issues in both the speedometer and convertible top control box.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:28 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

It is the control module. I swapped on from my buddy's car and the top works. So now to find a used one. They list for $725.
The following users liked this post:
JamieD (10-11-2022)
Old 07-18-2016, 05:31 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow. Great job diagnosing the issue. Also disappointing poor quality.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

I was lucky to have a friend with the same car so I could swap the modules and determine that was the problem. The module lists for $725 and the local dealer said it would take 3-4 days to get although I could probably paid extra to have it Fedexed overnight, but it was already after 2 in the Chicago area so it was probably too late to get it shipped today from Porsche. I can usually get a discount at one dealer so maybe about $600 plus shipping.

Instead I went on eBay and there were probably 10-15 of the things on sale ranging from $114 to $423. The part number on mine is 996.618.111.03, but that is super ceded to 996.618.111.04. I called some of the sellers directly, the less expensive ones, but one did not answer their phone and one said it was too late to ship it today.

LA Porsche Dismantlers had a few when I called them. They said $350 with shipping. When I pointed out that the listing on eBay was $174.99 He said OK that as he price. For overnight shipping they wanted $60, for delivery before 8 AM they wanted $95. I went for it and just got notice from FedEx that it will be here before 8.

So I should have a working top for our trip this week!!

Thanks to everyone for their help and comments. I am pretty familiar with the tops now so if anyone needs help fell free to ask.
JamieD (10-11-2022)
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

$ 300.00 all in isn't too bad .I can't imagine what the dealer cost to diagnose would have been .
Since there appear to be a lot of used control units available doesn't sound like they break that often and is a good case for a used one .
Enjoy your trip............
Dave
Old 07-19-2016, 09:11 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Dharn,

I am glad you found the root cause, hopefully the replacement unit will get you going.

If you have time (at some point after your trip)......It would be interesting to open the module and look around inside....to see if there is any obvious signs of component damage....

And thanks for the offer to help, owning a convertible has its challenges.....and if the time comes, I will take you on the offer !
Old 07-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

OK,not he new/used controller is in, the top recalibrated and everything works fine. I also reinstalled both the Smart Top and the RemoteTop and they are working fine (remember that the recalibration function does not seem to work with the Smart Top installed).

So the used part was not too expensive, and I could have gotten in for less if I had been willing to wait until I got back from our trip, but now we can enjoy the top down. I have had the car for 16 years, and the only other long trip we took was to the east coast in 2003 so we are looking forward to this ride.

When I think about the "diagnostic time" I spent it was probably 10+ hours. I hate to even think what this would have been at the dealer at $175+/hr. these days. They might have gotten it done quicker if they had a tech that had worked on tops much, but then they would have wanted to use a new controller at $725+ tax, so I am sure it would have been $2,000+.

In the past I was the reference for how to fix a cracked head/intermix, I guess now I can be a reference for how to fix a convertible top��
JamieD (10-11-2022)
Old 07-19-2016, 05:20 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Invaluable info and thanks for sharing (y)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 AM
luchturbo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
OK, I think I have a solution. I had forgotten that I had the Aftersales Training Manuals for the car. Just read through the section on the convertible tops. It give great details and a step by step description of the entire sequence of the top systems. It tells how each microswitch controls each step and how each motor is controlled, how if one step is not completed the next will not complete. A great resource. Based on this I am guessing that one of the side flap microswitches that show the flaps in the bottom position has malfunctioned or come loose. If these microswitches don't show the flaps in the bottom position then the top motor/hydraulics won't operate.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the problem. I test each one and if one is not working simulate it being I the right position. If the top motor starts to work I will know that is the problem. Then if a local dealer has one or one can be sent overnight from Atlanta I will have a working top for our trip.

I will also be able to help others if they have problems.

By the way i have the Service Manuals and these training manuals in PDF format and I am always willing to share them (DropBox) if anyone is interested. Lots of peop,e have the Service Manuals but these After Sales Teaining Manuals are fairly rare outside of dealers and have lots of details not found in the Service Manuals..
Hello,
Just reading one of your old posts on trying to get a roof working on a 04 911. Any chance you still have the service manuals you could share with me.
Thanks and regards,

Luch
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM
tcastella
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can you share the pdf manuals? Thanks

OK,not he new/used controller is in, the top recalibrated and everything works fine. I also reinstalled both the Smart Top and the RemoteTop and they are working fine (remember that the recalibration function does not seem to work with the Smart Top installed).

So the used part was not too expensive, and I could have gotten in for less if I had been willing to wait until I got back from our trip, but now we can enjoy the top down. I have had the car for 16 years, and the only other long trip we took was to the east coast in 2003 so we are looking forward to this ride.

When I think about the "diagnostic time" I spent it was probably 10+ hours. I hate to even think what this would have been at the dealer at $175+/hr. these days. They might have gotten it done quicker if they had a tech that had worked on tops much, but then they would have wanted to use a new controller at $725+ tax, so I am sure it would have been $2,000+.

In the past I was the reference for how to fix a cracked head/intermix, I guess now I can be a reference for how to fix a convertible top��
T
I am experiencing similar problem with my 2007 C4S Cabrio. I would appreciate if you could share the pdf manuals if possible. Thanks in Advance
Old 03-27-2020, 07:47 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcastella
T
I am experiencing similar problem with my 2007 C4S Cabrio. I would appreciate if you could share the pdf manuals if possible. Thanks in Advance
PM me your email address and I will send you a DropBox link with the manuals.
Mpfaff (03-28-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 06:03 PM
kevsgone
5th Gear

PM me your email address and I will send you a DropBox link with the manuals.
I too would appreciate the manuals, I am having issues with my 1999 cabriolet top,
Old 11-08-2020, 11:10 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Me too
Old 05-18-2021, 01:36 PM
thejumbo
Cruisin'

I tried to send a DM to our friend @Dharn55 but his inbox seems to be clogged up.

I, too, would love the manuals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible Top Problem, Top Won't Open