Sponsored by:

Wiring info for top operation

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:40 PM
saline
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring info for top operation

I had to replace my speedo cluster. I found a GT2 cluster for my 2004 TT, but I have a cab. The top is not operating correctly and I have narrowed it down to the reason being that the cluster is from a coupe - It works with my friend's cab cluster. The top only operates when the car is in motion. When I am stopped it won't work. If I roll to a stop while the top is in transit it will stop in the location that it is in. When I roll again it will continue its operation. This cluster, of course, does not have a top indicator light in the cluster.

I was wondering if anyone here has knowledge of the wiring differences between a cab and a coupe in the instrument cluster. I have not led a totally clean and pure life , so I don't expect this to be as easy as adding a light bulb to the cluster, or a jumper wire, but I thought I'd ask.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 PM
saline
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Interesting solution

My problem is solved in an interesting way. I had purchased a SmartTop controller from Mods4Cars thinking it might circumvent the wiring issue. The off-the-shelf product did not work, but Stefan Wilhelmy immediately knew what the issue was once I explained what I was trying to do. 2004+ top controllers allow operation while moving, however there is a 0.5 MPH signal from the speedo that it needs to operate while stationary. The 2004+ speedos send that signal even when stationary, however older speedos don't. My GT2 speedo must be an older unit.

Stefan at Mods4Cars has modified the firmware in their device so that there is another option in the settings as to the year of the speedo. Selecting the older speedo option, their device sends the required signal, therefore the top operates while standing still.

Thanks to the great customer service at Mods4Cars and Stefan specifically.

Quick Reply: Wiring info for top operation