Received 123 Likes on 58 Posts

I run 102 unleaded.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
I run 102 unleaded.
Rumor has it yours isn't a normal engine upgrade though. Something about a 3.6 conversion prior to upgrading to a 4.0?

What does 102 cost you?
Old 11-18-2016, 11:58 PM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

The 102 has been 6.95 for the last few years.
Jake will build them to run off pump fuel as well.
I think this one is built off a M97 block.
There wasn't much left from my last kerblammo.
That one was a X51 upgrade on a 3.6 upgraded to 3.8 by Jake after the original crank broke in half.
I do run a 5,2,2 ECU with a variocam plus engine. RPM window switches power the solenoids for Vcam full on or off.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:38 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Ya the GT2 confused me too the first time I saw a 996 cup with a GT2 sticker. I was shocked that they had totally stripped a "GT2" and turned it into a track car.
Is GT2 your PCA class or do you race COMMA at Hallett? I raced a BMW M3 there several years ago, won GT2 class. I sold the car but it still races there.

Also curious if you bought your silver 996 locally.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:56 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
Is GT2 your PCA class or do you race COMMA at Hallett? I raced a BMW M3 there several years ago, won GT2 class. I sold the car but it still races there.

Also curious if you bought your silver 996 locally.
Yes, GT2 in COMMA. If it's a white 70 something M3 driven by a kid named Ryan then it won the class again this year.

Currently, for PCA, my car is classed as GTB1 but once it gets the 3.8 it will no longer qualify. I'm pretty much committing to COMMA or NASA at that point. Unless I swap engines with my daily just to run PCA for a year.

Yes, I got the silver one from a guy in Norman named Marty. He had owned it for a year.

Last HST of the year at Hallet this weekend. You should come join us!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:58 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

The 102 has been 6.95 for the last few years.
Jake will build them to run off pump fuel as well.
I think this one is built off a M97 block.
There wasn't much left from my last kerblammo.
That one was a X51 upgrade on a 3.6 upgraded to 3.8 by Jake after the original crank broke in half.
I do run a 5,2,2 ECU with a variocam plus engine. RPM window switches power the solenoids for Vcam full on or off.
Sounds like a monster!

Oddly enough I can get 110 for about the same as 101 around here, just over $7.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:20 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Yes, GT2 in COMMA. If it's a white 70 something M3 driven by a kid named Ryan then it won the class again this year.

Currently, for PCA, my car is classed as GTB1 but once it gets the 3.8 it will no longer qualify. I'm pretty much committing to COMMA or NASA at that point. Unless I swap engines with my daily just to run PCA for a year.

Yes, I got the silver one from a guy in Norman named Marty. He had owned it for a year.

No, mine was a red/black 98 M3. Ryan is a great driver but he's been at that track for at least 10 years. The year I beat him he had a few DNFs from mechanicals I think.

I had a silver 996 identical to yours that I sold 3 years ago and really regret it. Wondering if yours is the same car. Does it have 6sp, grey interior, and aftermarket HIDs from https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...and-986-a.html

Love your new track car! Envious
Old 11-19-2016, 11:32 AM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

Me too but its leaded. Not a big problem, because I don't run no stinkin' cats. It will also show up in your UOA if you do them.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:35 AM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

You can always run GT3 in PCA. I am usually out gunned there but I get stickers because not that many cars run it and there is always someone to race just not in the same class.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:46 AM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

Got a chance to weigh the car tonight. 2530 with an 1/8 of tank of gas.

Total weight loss from Phase 1, 470lbs!
I run at 3000 with driver, cool suit, and a half tank of fuel. So you did a righteous job of weight loss!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

You can always run GT3 in PCA. I am usually out gunned there but I get stickers because not that many cars run it and there is always someone to race just not in the same class.
That is awesome information. Thanks!!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:26 AM
Christobol
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not quite related to this thread, can you point me to a site that explains what each of these acronyms mean? To say I'm new to PCA, or competitive track racing is generous.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:14 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Clubs:

COMMA - Competition Motorsporta Association (local racing association in Oklahoma)
NASA - National Auto Sport Association
PCA - Porsche Club of America
SCCA - Sports Car Club of America

Driving
HST - High Speed Touring - it's the same as DE (drivers education) where you can take street cars on the track for laps

Racing Classifications:
GTB1 - PCA class
GT2 - SCCA class

Each organization has a classification system based on your vehicle ranging from specific to very specific. Here is a link to the PCA racing rules which contains each of the PCA classes. You can look up SP996, GTB1, or GT3 to see what's required for each of them.

https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...ng%20Rules.pdf
Old 11-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Had a good final weekend at the track. Ended up with 21 days on track including two racing schools, two days with a personal coach and 4 races.

Saturday I was with my coach and the front pads were shot by after lunch. I went to put my spare pads on that I had purchased from a Rennlister and they were way to big. I own the fact that I should have verified they were the right size.

So that day was done and I showed up with my original set of EBC Ref Stuff. My initial impression was they weren't very good for the track but it was on my very first track day so hopefully I was wrong. JayG loves them so I was crossing my fingers. Well, they were crap. I was trying to shove my foot through the floor and they still didn't have enough bite to get to the ABS with slicks on.

However, it was one of the best things that's happened to me. Without ABS the weekend before, I had learned if you aren't stopping, turn in anyway. And just try and manage the rear end the best you can. So first session I took it easy to try and bed them in and then second session I went for it.

I moved my braking points back quite a bit but was still coming into the corners really hot. So I just kept the brake pedal mashed to the floor through the turn until it was time to get on the throttle. The first full lap of doing this dropped over a second off my personal best time. I was able to reproduce it a few other times during the day, mainly when chasing a C6 Z06. So it gives me something to look forward to next year and puts me only 3 seconds off pace with the class leaders. I think the FSI upgrade will get me another second and that dialing in the setup and improving my driving will put me in a good position to compete next year.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

So, less brake more gas?

Quick Reply: My new '99 C2 Coupe Track Car