996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Door Won't Open From Inside or Outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 02:56 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 246 Posts

Since I just dropped the engine in my 996 I tried the door again. It opened! I'm thinking that once I disconnected the battery it could mechanically open. So looks like the actuator is bad or misaligned. There's a few steps you're supposed to follow when you re-install it so I'll be following those before spending $$ on a used/new one. But that's after I put the engine back in.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:30 PM
TopPorscheFan
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogibara
Since I just dropped the engine in my 996 I tried the door again. It opened! I'm thinking that once I disconnected the battery it could mechanically open. So looks like the actuator is bad or misaligned. There's a few steps you're supposed to follow when you re-install it so I'll be following those before spending $$ on a used/new one. But that's after I put the engine back in.

Hmmmmn, maybe what I need to do is DISCONNECT the battery. Maybe no juice will reset it or somehow allow it to work…
Old 01-09-2022, 09:29 AM
996clubsport
Banned

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Did disconnecting the battery work?
Old 07-02-2022, 03:34 PM
TriGator
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem as several previous posters. As someone said before, this keeps coming up.
2002 996 Targa with a stuck driver's side door. The window will come down slightly but when pulling the door handle, the latch will not disengage allowing entry. A temporary resolution before tearing apart the door to fix the problem is to firmly bump the door in front of the door handle.

I too need to dig into what the problem is but here's a quick solution to getting in, in a pinch.

I hope this helps someone else. If you have what parts fixed yours, I'd love a link to a US supplier.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:18 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGator
I had the same problem as several previous posters. As someone said before, this keeps coming up.
2002 996 Targa with a stuck driver's side door. The window will come down slightly but when pulling the door handle, the latch will not disengage allowing entry. A temporary resolution before tearing apart the door to fix the problem is to firmly bump the door in front of the door handle.

I too need to dig into what the problem is but here's a quick solution to getting in, in a pinch.

https://youtu.be/mcxZuzh1eQs

I hope this helps someone else. If you have what parts fixed yours, I'd love a link to a US supplier.

Your lock mechanism is about to go. Change out the part before bumping the door method doesn't work anymore because you must have access to inside the door with it opened.

Follow these instructions...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-detailed.html
The following users liked this post:
TriGator (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 06:03 PM
TriGator
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you B3freak!

So I order and replace the correct piece, is it correct to order and replace this component to fix the problem? 9A7-837-015-03-OEM / R8N1837015C

Old 07-02-2022, 06:33 PM
Josh Randall
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGator

https://youtu.be/mcxZuzh1eQs

You can also just press the door in a little bit while opening I've found. Although I'm wondering what is failing inside the latch to cause this?

Edit: this is a really extensive thread on possible solutions for rebuild https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...rebuild-2.html

Last edited by Josh Randall; 07-02-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Door Won't Open From Inside or Outside