Door Won't Open From Inside or Outside

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Jackie Lo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 996 door won't open

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
I have a perhaps related issue that I need to explore as well, just not looking forward to taking the door apart again...

I replaced my regulator and then had a problem with the door latch so I replaced that as well. Window now works great, door latch, well, read on...

When unlocked, door opens great from inside or out, no issues.

When locked the key will not unlock it, it just turns in the lock cylinder like you'd expect but without actually doing anything. However, the keyfob DOES unlock it which is just as God intended, however after that I have to pull the doorhandle up several times (anywhere from 3 to 10 times) before the door pops open. Note that the window drops slightly with every pull of the handle so it IS getting the signal that I want to open the door...

If I get it open and then close it and relock it, upon unlocking it again the whole cycle resets and I have to pull the handle a number of times again to open it. However if I get it open and then close it WITHOUT relocking it it opens first time every time as per normal. So something with the lock/unlock cycle is haywire.

Any experience would be appreciated. When I replaced the latch I was able to do so without actually taking the doorhandle out of the door, I was able to undo and re-fasten the little threaded rod into the plastic tab thing from the door handle by somehow making my fingers perform a very unnatural move (akin perhaps to a CounterClockwise Swirl with a Knuckle if you are a Seinfeld fan)
Originally Posted by aqtlibra
it takes awhile before i figured out this passenger door problem. probably 3 months or four. the door lock mechanism is a common problem of 996 carrera defective. anyway, if you tap the edge of the door handle from the outside 3 times door may open. if door open remove the door panel. you need T25 10mm socket Philipp and Flat Screw driver. disconnect the battery before removing the airbag. otherwise, you'll get an airbag light. you can find pictures that will guide you on how to remove the door panel at Pelican Technical Article: Porsche 911 Carrera Door Locks and Handles.
replace the door lock. i bought mine on ebay for $50. good luck.
Hi aqtlibra,
Thanks for your opinion; I get your idea. I just typed a search of 996 Door lock in eb. There are actually a few item descriptions:
-door actuator lock module.
-door lock actuator handle latch.
-door lock latch assembly
Are they all meaning the same part? But they looked from something small piece behind the handle to a sizeable block. Price also ranges from USD 60-150.

Another potentially confusing aspect is that, we are in HK driving on the other side, the passenger door is on the left with no external lock. If I happen to buy a handle from a US spec, say. will I get a handle with a lock with it. Or the inside mechanism is independent to the outside handle regardless?
Old 09-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Check the parts diagram here for your MY. You want part #14, door lock. The lock tumbler where the key inserts into is a separate part.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=804-00
Old 09-15-2017, 01:10 AM
aqtlibra
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackie Lo
Hi aqtlibra,
Thanks for your opinion; I get your idea. I just typed a search of 996 Door lock in eb. There are actually a few item descriptions:
-door actuator lock module.
-door lock actuator handle latch.
-door lock latch assembly
Are they all meaning the same part? But they looked from something small piece behind the handle to a sizeable block. Price also ranges from USD 60-150.

Another potentially confusing aspect is that, we are in HK driving on the other side, the passenger door is on the left with no external lock. If I happen to buy a handle from a US spec, say. will I get a handle with a lock with it. Or the inside mechanism is independent to the outside handle regardless?
If you live in HK you should buy it in UK at ebay.co.uk 996 LH passenger door latch lock. good luck
Old 10-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Alexander Forbes
2nd Gear

Hi Walter,

I just experienced this morning a bipolar door handle exactly as you described it. Can you describe specifically what part it was that needed replacement? I am comfortable working on the door as I did the window regulator last month. Thanks a lot
Old 10-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Alexander Forbes
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
I have a perhaps related issue that I need to explore as well, just not looking forward to taking the door apart again...

I replaced my regulator and then had a problem with the door latch so I replaced that as well. Window now works great, door latch, well, read on...

When unlocked, door opens great from inside or out, no issues.

When locked the key will not unlock it, it just turns in the lock cylinder like you'd expect but without actually doing anything. However, the keyfob DOES unlock it which is just as God intended, however after that I have to pull the doorhandle up several times (anywhere from 3 to 10 times) before the door pops open. Note that the window drops slightly with every pull of the handle so it IS getting the signal that I want to open the door...

If I get it open and then close it and relock it, upon unlocking it again the whole cycle resets and I have to pull the handle a number of times again to open it. However if I get it open and then close it WITHOUT relocking it it opens first time every time as per normal. So something with the lock/unlock cycle is haywire.

Any experience would be appreciated. When I replaced the latch I was able to do so without actually taking the doorhandle out of the door, I was able to undo and re-fasten the little threaded rod into the plastic tab thing from the door handle by somehow making my fingers perform a very unnatural move (akin perhaps to a CounterClockwise Swirl with a Knuckle if you are a Seinfeld fan)
Hi Walter,

I just experienced this morning a bipolar door handle exactly as you described it. Can you describe specifically what part it was that needed replacement? I am comfortable working on the door as I did the window regulator last month. Thanks a lot
Old 10-03-2019, 10:32 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Forbes
Hi Walter,

You more than likely need a new door lock assembly. Pretty common wear item. They run about $200 from Pelican Parts.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Akkord29
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Forbes
Hi Walter,

If it's the driver door I just put a lock mechanism up for sale today.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:51 PM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi all, I am having the same issue after replacing the window regulator. My specifics are:
  • Passenger door US Car
  • When the door card is off, everthing works fine... when door card is on then the handles dont operate, initially the internal then both.
  • I had the door wont open issue as well and luckliy I was able to remove the door card whilst door was closed, and it opened.
  • I am wondering if the torque of the xzn bolts affect this as the Pelican parts states that the se are lighltly torqued from the factory and I may have overdone it there.
  • I am happy to change door latch mech as i have no lock tumbler on the passenger side.
  • microswitches work fine as windows drop etc prior to opening/closing
Thoughts before I change the latch mech?
Old 08-07-2021, 12:01 PM
greg_spreeman
Advanced

Quick follow up. I opened the windows and the top by using the key in the driver's side door lock. At that point the driver's side door opens and closes just fine. So, I am guessing it's a micro switch. Any guesses as to which one?
Old 11-11-2021, 01:14 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by greg_spreeman
Quick follow up. I opened the windows and the top by using the key in the driver's side door lock. At that point the driver's side door opens and closes just fine. So, I am guessing it's a micro switch. Any guesses as to which one?
Crazy that this is happening to a bunch of us. I literally just ran into this issue. When I bough the car the outside door handle came disconnected from the door lock. Easy fix. Months later, door lock sounds like it actuates (with key or interior button) on the passenger side but neither the bowden cable nor outside door handle can open the door. It feels like it's locked. When unlocked there's a distinct increase in pressure on the cable when it's about to open. I've given it a few love taps on the inside of the door (panel removed). Anyone ever disconnected the door lock with the door still closed? Such a weird behavior.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:10 AM
TopPorscheFan
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts

I’m not certain if this is the same problem, however NEITHER my fob or the key will open the drivers door. No sounds, no window clearance drop, no clicks, ticks, or knocks.

Just… nothing.

Red light on the dashboard is still blinking on and off, and my USB adapter in the cig lighter still has red leds lit. So I don’t think it’s the battery. But, could it be? Could the main computer be down.

I'm completely flummoxed at this stage. Does anybody have any ideas, or experience that might point me in the right direction? Btw, there was no lead up to this in anyway. It just summarily started occurring one night. I haven’t been able to drive it since this began.

2002 C2 Cab
Old 11-16-2021, 12:54 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the door lock actuator. However, mine makes all the appropriate noises and lowers the window. It just won't freakin open! Is there a way of removing the door lock actuator w/o the door being open?
Old 11-16-2021, 02:11 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,136 Posts

I keep seeing this thread come back from the dead - and I have to laugh because the OP's post is about the car that I now have. PS, both my doors are working flawlessly five years later so whatever Jeremy did is holding up.
The following users liked this post:
JK_996 (06-01-2024)
Old 11-16-2021, 02:24 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

For me it's all about getting the door open. After that I can swap parts like the best of 'em.
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:10 AM
TopPorscheFan
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogibara
For me it's all about getting the door open. After that I can swap parts like the best of 'em.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I’m still in the same boat.

I did locate the engine cover cable, and tugged it to get the cover open thinking that I could trickle charge the battery, and either rule that out, or remedy the power level to get the lock working to get into the car. The only thing that happened was the alarm went off straight away. It sounded healthy, as in the battery was not low healthy. I was hoping it was a low/dead battery issue, but alas, nope.

I’ve been reading a number of posts, but nothing seems to have this particular problem. As it happens, I have another 996 (a ‘99) that is sitting idle right now due to a dead alternator, and even without any power, the lock mechanism on it still works by twisting the key in the door lock.

Does anybody have any further thoughts, I am flummoxed.

Last edited by TopPorscheFan; 11-29-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Door Won't Open From Inside or Outside