Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Track Day - High Performance Driver Education Check List

Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Add zip-ties (various sizes) and a knife to the supplies list. And some wet-wipes.

My pile-o-track-crap grows with every event.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Zip ties is what I was going to add. The last track event I had to use some so my day wasn't finished.
If you want to work on you lap times, download Harry's Lap Timer to your phone.

-Jason
Old 05-31-2016, 06:05 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
Agree 100%. The right attitude is the best way to have fun and stay safe. You need "two ears and one mouth" too. Keep quiet and listen to your instructor. Be a sponge...talk to others who are experienced (like Pete), go on ride-alongs, etc...

Final point to add to your checklist, find track videos and try to mentally memorize the track ahead of time. Youtube is your friend. Find a narrated walk through, or any decent video to boost your learning before heading on track for the first time.
Could not agree more. After years of autocrossing and canyon blasting I thought I would dominate my run group at my first DE. What a humbling experience! Learning a line, watching corner stations, watching the mirrors, passing (usually signalling to be passed...) and listening to the instructor was overwhelming during the first event. Wasn't sure I wanted to come back for another event but very glad I did. Everything started to slow down for me, my speed greatly increased, and fun factor went up 10x.

Spend time with your instructor after your runs to ask lots of questions and ask for specific feedback. I also recommend spending time walking around the paddock and talking with the drivers in the higher run groups - great source of knowledge and experience on driving and car set-up.

And finally ask your instructor to take you around in your car at speed - you will be amazed!
Old 05-31-2016, 06:06 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts
Default This may be a fitting image of the Porsche-Oil debate

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Don't make this an oil thread for God's sake..
Old 05-31-2016, 06:12 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RobbieVan
And finally ask your instructor to take you around in your car at speed - you will be amazed!
That was one of the best parts I liked, it's nice to see your own car going so fast or braking late with a better driver at the wheel.

-Jason
Old 05-31-2016, 08:42 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
Youtube is your friend. Find a narrated walk through, or any decent video to boost your learning before heading on track for the first time.
Can you point to any walk through videos??
Old 05-31-2016, 08:51 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Walk through videos are tough to find. There is one for Palmer that was done right after it opened but most of that, if exists, is on PCA, et al local region websites and may not come up in a search. For those really dedicated to finding that stuff, figure out what PCA or BMWCC runs at the track and check the local chapter's DE page, a lot of good stuff can sometimes be found there.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Most clubs require car numbers - it's easy to print a set of numbers in large font on your computer at home before you leave for the track. Just tape them to the inside of the rear quarter windows after you get there (don't forget to remove after you are finished for the day or you'll probably get a few street challenges and/or weird looks on the drive home). If you forget to print the numbers, there's always the painters tape trick.

It's also a lot of fun to review your driving later - if you have a Go Pro or other portable cam mount it in your car to record the day.

You may also want to think about track insurance - most insurance companies won't cover you on the track but there are some companies that specialize in this (I use On Track).

If you haven't been on this particular track before search You Tube for the track name - that should bring up lots of videos (probably good and bad).
Old 06-02-2016, 11:26 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

One more thought for the first time participant at a DE especially those showing up in a reasonably fast car like a 911 that is likely faster than other first timers:

The reason the person in the car ahead of you didn't give you a point by isn't because they are an *******, it's because they are busy.

Why does this matter? Because when you think of that (most likely overwhelmed and perhaps scared to death) driver as an *******, you get angry at them and when you get angry you drive more aggressively and, as a result, less safely. When you think of that same driver as busy, you empathize and you drive calmer and more safely as you try to position your car where it can be seen in hopes of getting a point by from this fellow beginner.

99.999% of the time a slower driver* would love to point you by and when they don't, it's because their brain is already maxed out.

*Applies only to lowest run groups. Guys not giving point bys in higher run groups are, in fact, giant ********.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

99.999% of the time a slower driver* would love to point you by and when they don't, it's because their brain is already maxed out.

*Applies only to lowest run groups. Guys not giving point bys in higher run groups are, in fact, giant ********.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:50 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One more thought for the first time participant at a DE especially those showing up in a reasonably fast car like a 911 that is likely faster than other first timers:

The reason the person in the car ahead of you didn't give you a point by isn't because they are an *******, it's because they are busy.

Why does this matter? Because when you think of that (most likely overwhelmed and perhaps scared to death) driver as an *******, you get angry at them and when you get angry you drive more aggressively and, as a result, less safely. When you think of that same driver as busy, you empathize and you drive calmer and more safely as you try to position your car where it can be seen in hopes of getting a point by from this fellow beginner.

or thy just don't care
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Well said DT. Another thing that is amplified on the 911 that I had to learn the hard way is to never brake mid turn. No matter how fast you are going, if you just keep a little throttle it will hold. If you take your foot off the gas and brake just a little, get ready to push in the clutch as well because you are about to spin.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:05 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JayG
or thy just don't care
That's the same thing tho
Old 06-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

I had a guy in a Chevy Volt that wasn't giving point by's to no one, then finally there was this huge traffic jam behind him. Then he started doing point-by's, I think he had no idea or was so concentrated on how much gas he was saving. Lol I was about to do a drive thru to the pits.

-Jason
Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
or thy just don't care
Are these the Chevy/Ford guys that have gobs of power and can drive really good on the straights? The ones that don't bother to point you by since they know they will just pass you up on the straights again?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Day - High Performance Driver Education Check List