Sponsored by:

New 996 owner Chicagoland

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 05:39 PM
cqk56
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 996 owner Chicagoland

I recently got a 2003 911 cabriolet 6 spd manual with 25000 miles on it. I did'nt PPI the car prior and now after finding this forum I find I am driving a ticking time bomb. I will admit I probably should have done more research but I do like the car.

Car has maintenance history showing only service at a dealer but having low miles the history is fairly limited to basic maintance. I did change the oil and inspected the filter and did not find any metal, car also drives great, no drips of oil or any obvious issues.

But holy cow, now I read this forum and I need to replace motor mounts, AOS, water pump, RMS, IMS, run Joe Gibbs oil, drive it not too fast but not too slow wash it with fuji bottled water and read it a bed time story at night. What have I done? I really like the car but should I even drive it?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

LOL! You can be extra afraid because of the low miles on your car.

I do have a Durametric, if you haven't checked cam deviation (quite frankly I don't know if it's the same for a 3.6 as compared to a 3.4), I would be happy to check it for you. I live in Forest Park.

Enjoy!
Old 05-10-2016, 05:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I think you're going to fit in just fine here. Congrats on the new car.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I am starting to believe that the solution to your concerns is to stop reading the forums and just go drive your car.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:51 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL

These are great cars that were meant to be driven. Just drive it and enjoy it. Most of them never have any more problems than other cars but be prepared for sticker shock when you buy parts.

The 996s are a bargain and you can pick them up for cheap money (comparatively) but they are not cheap cars. Ferrari had its bargain cars as well the Mondial/308/328/348 could all be picked up for low price (until the last year or so) but they cost just as much to fix as their more expensive brethren. The same is true here.

It is a good idea to check your oil filter regularly though.

Oh, and most important, make sure you only use GENUINE PORSCHE coolant or your car will implode immediately. You have been warned.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

take a couple deep breaths and relax

you're not the first person to have bought a low mile 996 without a ppi (self included)

water pump? is the car overheating?
AOS? is the car acting like a mosquito abatement truck?
RMS? possibly, but it's a maintenance item...only an inspection can verify
its not likely that you need motor mounts, we need to see pics

drive the car for 1,000 miles and decide if it's for you
then spend the 2k+ for the IMSB or Solution

live happily ever after, you should have done this years ago

did I mention pics?

welcome to 996 ownership
where in Chicagoland?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

For another perspective, by example, I have an '04 that is at 98K miles. Aside from oil changes, brakes & tires, I've changed the plugs, water pump, one cat, drop links, recently the motor mounts, serp. belt, signal switch, upgraded the sound system. That's about it. Runs great; oil changes always come out clean. Ditching your car as a roller is probably premature. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 05-10-2016, 06:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

And join the Chicago Region PCA. Great group. Great events.

http://pca-chicago.org/cms/
Old 05-10-2016, 06:07 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Agree with everything above, HOWEVER, man I think I'd spend the money now on changing that IMS bearing. 2003 with 6 speed and low miles is right in the crosshairs of being the most at risk. If you are going to spend it in a year anyway, why take the risk of waiting a year?
That being said, I'm generally not the type to go crazy replacing parts that are working fine just because they might break. There are a long list of WYAIT parts to replace, but again, you can quickly turn your $2,000 or so IMS bearing replacement into a $3,500 or $4,000 job by replacing all of the WYAIT stuff.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:37 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Here's what I believe. I believe the OP is a long-time rennlister hiding behind a trollish bot like nom-de-plume to stroke the fires of angst.

I am willing to be wrong, but - it's my opinion until shown otherwise, and will remain vigilant to being a stroker. Now - I have stroked in the past, but in this case - until further evidence either way shows up I will not stroke it.

Unless I have a stroke.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:43 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cqk56
I recently got a 2003 911 cabriolet 6 spd manual with 25000 miles on it. I did'nt PPI the car prior and now after finding this forum I find I am driving a ticking time bomb. I will admit I probably should have done more research but I do like the car.

Car has maintenance history showing only service at a dealer but having low miles the history is fairly limited to basic maintance. I did change the oil and inspected the filter and did not find any metal, car also drives great, no drips of oil or any obvious issues.

But holy cow, now I read this forum and I need to replace motor mounts, AOS, water pump, RMS, IMS, run Joe Gibbs oil, drive it not too fast but not too slow wash it with fuji bottled water and read it a bed time story at night. What have I done? I really like the car but should I even drive it?
These are absolutely required. The rest I wouldn't be too concerned about.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Just be glad you don't have a tip and have to worry about a tranny and a couple topless dudes and possibly posing with your top down without your top with a craft beer on hand getting photoshopped into a postcard with the other two topless dudes with a burning car and a couple hippy looking guys thrown in for fun.

Welcome and you may need to buy in bulk of these:

Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM
cqk56
Cruisin'

I feel better already, thanks.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

This thread is gold

After owning a SC that blew a piston I think the 996 is less prone to issues and I have read a lot about them on this forum...You just have to do your research and cross your fingers your ticking time bomb doesn't explode
Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Sailor2
7th Gear

Your experience was similar to mine. My 2002 Cab had 27,000 miles on it when I purchased it a year ago. I had an acquaintance who was a Porsche owner explain the issue of the 996 prior to my purchasing it, so I went into it with my eyes wide open. Simply look at the prices of pre 996 cars and then compare that to the price of a 996. You can afford to put some money into it to protect your investment. I, like you read this forum and while many will suggest to you to just go out and drive it like you stole it. I wanted to sleep at night, so I decided to have the LN Engineering Solution installed. Also, I had a very slight oil leak so there was always the question of where the leak was coming from, the IMSB or the RMS. The bottom line for me ended up at $3845, to include the solution, RMS (where the oil leak ended up coming from) and an air oil separator. As it turned out, the seal on the IMSB had failed and as of yet had not caused visible wear on the bearing, or specs of metal in the filter, but if I had continued to drive it I would have had the dreaded failure. You didn't share what you paid for your 03 but for me the price of repair was worth the peace of mind, and as it turned out was the right decision financially. Good luck!

Last edited by Sailor2; 05-10-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: New 996 owner Chicagoland