Sponsored by:

Do I need new motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:25 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tharbin
The motor mounts are the exact same ones used in the 993 and if anything are stiffer than the earlier air-cooled cars. Remember that the drivetrain in the 996 is on a three point suspension. The motor mounts are two points, the transmission mount is the other. Yes the motor sloshes a bit with good oem mounts but it is very predictable and should be more than adequate unless you track the car. I personally believe that many people are using stiffer mounts to compensate for worn transmission mounts. While the motor mounts are an easy twenty minute job the transmission mount is a lot of work and until FF came out with their transmission mount inserts, there was no easy way to fix it. You had to drop the transmission smash out the old mount and press in a new one. It can make a world of difference. Because motor mounts are easy, most of our 996s have had at least one replacement pair. I doubt 20% have gotten new transmission mounts; ever.
+1. I wasn't sure if my car needed new motor mounts either ('02 C4 w/ Tip @ 70k mi) so I asked them to check during a recent oil change. While they said they weren't too bad, they said the transmission mount was shot. I replaced all 3 and what a huge improvement. All of my mechanical clunking in the driveline has gone away.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

If you have problems shifting AFTER you replace the mounts with new OE ones then you have other issues with the transmission. If you replaced those with urethane units and the shifting improved then you STILL have problems with the transmission but you just don't notice it as much. Either way, the transmission is trying to tell you it's slowly dying.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:14 PM
GLIDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need new motor mounts?

Which replacement motor mounts are preferred nowadays (mostly street w a few track days a year)?? I'm just getting to mine and reached out to FF - apparently they don't offer their mounts anymore!

I see Wevo, Rennline an OE here. Anyone still refurbing OEM?
Old 05-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GLIDE
Which replacement motor mounts are preferred nowadays (mostly street w a few track days a year)?? I'm just getting to mine and reached out to FF - apparently they don't offer their mounts anymore!

I see Wevo, Rennline an OE here. Anyone still refurbing OEM?
I can say good things about the rennlines, and have heard good things about the wevo and RSS mounts. Don't think you can wrong with any of those.

The oem mounts are definitely going to be the quietest though.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:19 PM
snowfarmer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovzilla
replaced mine yesterday
please tell me that's photoshopped....
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 PM
snowfarmer
Intermediate

replaced mine today, the posts weren't as bagged out as some I've seen but it did make a difference. Maybe FF inserts next, what's the consesnsus. Are FF inserts a DIY job?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:23 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dporto
In my case I think it's important to point out that when I installed the Function 1st inserts (the black version - quite a bit of NVH) the shifting got noticeably better, so between this and the motor mounts it's almost night and day (I also got a B&M ssk which was another incremental improvement over the 997 shifter I was using). Which poly mounts are u using?
where did you purchase the B&M?

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 05-08-2016, 09:44 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock

One source:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...gory&path=6_61
Old 05-09-2016, 08:43 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I am also looking at the softer FF insert for the Trans to compliment the new OE engine mounts I replaced couple of weeks ago... So far I am happy with the new engine mounts. Cheers,
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock

I purchased mine used, either from the classifieds here or 6speed... It was a great deal as it came already installed in a 997 base so it was a direct swap out (no messing around with bushings and whatnots) with my existing 997 shifter.

Quick Reply: Do I need new motor mounts?