996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ignition key won't sping back

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:23 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you were asking Aspen for the part number and TSB referenced but I thought I may as well put what I had out there too.

The original factory part that failed last year has an Audi logo with part number 4A0 905 849 This part has W. Germany stamped on it so presumably it was made there sometime in late 2001 and lasted for 14 years before becoming "sticky".

I replaced it with a switch that has part number 4A0 905 849 B (the B is the difference) from Napa that came in a box that says Made in China. This one lasted six months and maybe 100 starts (haven't been driving much) before failing to move the key back under spring pressure and would be under warranty if I could only find my $9 receipt...
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
I know you were asking Aspen for the part number and TSB referenced but I thought I may as well put what I had out there too.

The original factory part that failed last year has an Audi logo with part number 4A0 906 849 This part has W. Germany stamped on it so presumably it was made there sometime in late 2001 and lasted for 14 years before becoming "sticky".

I replaced it with a switch that has part number 4A0 906 849 B (the B is the difference) from Napa that came in a box that says Made in China. This one lasted six months and maybe 100 starts (haven't been driving much) before failing to move the key back under spring pressure and would be under warranty if I could only find my $9 receipt...
Maybe older than 2001 too since I believe W. Germany ceased to exist in 1990.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Maybe older than 2001 too since I believe W. Germany ceased to exist in 1990.
Well yeah, the same part was used at least as early as 1988 at Audi. I have no idea if they would remove the "W." in the existing tooling if they manufactured the part after '90. In my experience, Audi and VW plastic and electrical parts tend not to sit on a shelf for too long after being made...
Old 04-05-2016, 08:52 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think so, they still start all of the VIN numbers with W to denote West Germany, right?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:52 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it once in each car and think it would probably take all of 10 minutes at this point...
I would at least try the $30 fix before spending $250. Last time I swapped mine out it took me a whopping 19 minutes - if it was a big job, then yeah I'd spend the extra $220 so I didn't have to do it again. But, this is really a simple DIY fix, especially if you have already done it once - I've had turn signal bulbs that were harder to change out. Take the money you save and buy a new set of motor mounts, which will take you another 20 minutes or less to replace.
You guys are obviously much more mechanically adept than I am. I replaced the switch once on my previous 996. It took me 45 minutes upside down stuffed into the driver's footwell in 115 degree heat. It wasn't an option since the symptom was that my climate control fan would randomly work--or not. I used the Audi part. I think it was 20 something bucks. Six or seven months later it was failing again. Symptom was not always releasing the key. Luckily my car decided to try to mate a pickup truck before I got around to crawling in there again.

It is too soon to say "fixed for good" but my indie says he hasn't had one of the TSB assemblies go bad yet.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:01 PM
markar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Audi part last me only 3 months i think best is new design from porsche. I am going one more time if fail again go to redesign porsce part.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part number is 99634701707.

Ignition Switch: Technical Service Bulletins
Interior/Ignition - Ignition Switch Replacement 911 (996) 4/03 2804 Binder - 2, Fuel, Exhaust, Engine Elec. Replacement Ignition Switch Vehicle Type:
911 Carrera (996) / 911 Carrera 4 (996) / 911 GT3 (996) Model Year:
As of '99 (X) Concerns: A new ignition switch is available as replacement part. Information: As of the date of introduction below, a modified ignition switch will be installed in vehicles. For spare parts replacement of the ignition switch, only the
new ignition switch part number, 4B0 905 849, is available now as a replacement part. On vehicles produced before the date of introduction listed below, the complete steering lock, part number, 996 347 017 07 (steering lock including
ignition switch) must be replaced once in order to use the new ignition switch if replacement becomes necessary. The reason is modified dimensions of the new ignition switch. The lock barrel of the removed steering lock can continue to be used. Removing and
installing the ignition switch or the steering lock is described in the Technical Manual (see Literature). Introduction: Introduction of the new ignition switch on September 05, 2003 as of the following VINs: 99 64S 62 0554 USA
99 443 63 5123 USA
99 743 65 0736 USA
99 743 69 2289 USA

This is what I found so far.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspen Autosports
Part number is 99634701707.

Ignition Switch: Technical Service Bulletins
Interior/Ignition - Ignition Switch Replacement 911 (996) 4/03 2804 Binder - 2, Fuel, Exhaust, Engine Elec. Replacement Ignition Switch Vehicle Type:
911 Carrera (996) / 911 Carrera 4 (996) / 911 GT3 (996) Model Year:
As of '99 (X) Concerns: A new ignition switch is available as replacement part. Information: As of the date of introduction below, a modified ignition switch will be installed in vehicles. For spare parts replacement of the ignition switch, only the
new ignition switch part number, 4B0 905 849, is available now as a replacement part. On vehicles produced before the date of introduction listed below, the complete steering lock, part number, 996 347 017 07 (steering lock including
ignition switch) must be replaced once in order to use the new ignition switch if replacement becomes necessary. The reason is modified dimensions of the new ignition switch. The lock barrel of the removed steering lock can continue to be used. Removing and
installing the ignition switch or the steering lock is described in the Technical Manual (see Literature). Introduction: Introduction of the new ignition switch on September 05, 2003 as of the following VINs: 99 64S 62 0554 USA
99 443 63 5123 USA
99 743 65 0736 USA
99 743 69 2289 USA

This is what I found so far.
Thanks Jake. My car is a 10/2003 production so maybe I have the "improved" version. I'll have to do some more research.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:02 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

I ended up deciding to use Warehouse33 and ordered ONE OF EACH of the cheap, $6 ones and the $30 ones (actually $26). When they arrive I'll look to see if I can see any difference between them externally or if I think I just got ripped for buying OEM. Either way I'll install the more expensive one and keep the cheaper one in the glovebox along with the mini screwdriver just in case. If I can find my receipt from NAPA I'll take the bad one back and get yet another spare which I'll probably try to pawn off on one of you homies...

Thanks for the lively discussion!
Old 04-06-2016, 02:44 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I ended up deciding to use Warehouse33 and ordered ONE OF EACH of the cheap, $6 ones and the $30 ones (actually $26). When they arrive I'll look to see if I can see any difference between them externally or if I think I just got ripped for buying OEM. Either way I'll install the more expensive one and keep the cheaper one in the glovebox along with the mini screwdriver just in case. If I can find my receipt from NAPA I'll take the bad one back and get yet another spare which I'll probably try to pawn off on one of you homies...

Subscribed. I want to see pics, dimensions, part weights, color comparisons, electrical measurements, aesthetic evaluations, and artistic interpretations of the two parts.

Thanks in advance for the comparison
Old 04-13-2016, 08:35 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Any update???
Old 04-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your business! I'm curious too on how this turns out.

-Jason
Old 04-13-2016, 12:20 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

I received the package from Warehouse33 but haven't gotten around to replacing anything yet.

As you recall I ordered one each of the cheap $6 switch and one of the $26 ones.

When I opened the package I assumed that the more expensive one was the one in the full-color box but I was mistaken.

The cheap one ($6) was in the full-color box with a sticker that says the part number, JL Germany and "Made In China" on it, the box has an "AIC" logo printed all over it. The switch looks pretty much the same as the others but is a slightly different plastic texture and has a sticker on it 2015.10 that probably denotes the manufacture date. The part also has the AIC logo embossed into the side. It does not look obviously cheaper or worse or lower quality than either the other new one ($26) or the one that was installed at the factory and came out of my car after 14 years of use.

The expensive ($26) one was in a plastic bag marked "Made In Spain". Interestingly it looks IDENTICAL to the one that originally went bad in the car last year. All the mold marks are in the same places and all the markings are the same, including the Audi logo and the part number, up to and including the "W. Germany" molded into the bottom (even though the packaging clearly says it was Made in Spain. The label on the package does have the part number 4A0-905-849-B but then has the suffix "/56" right after the B so it reads 4AO-905-849-B/56 I have no idea what the /56 denotes.

I will be putting the more expensive switch into the car. I figure the real original one lasted 14 years and the cheap one lasted less than six months. Hopefully the more expensive one will hold up this time too.

Once I take the bad Chinese one from NAPA out of the car I will dissect it as well as the bad original one that I held on to from last year and try to compare internals. I'll most likely get to the dissection in the next couple of weeks and report back again.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:30 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Once I take the bad Chinese one from NAPA out of the car I will dissect it as well as the bad original one that I held on to from last year and try to compare internals. I'll most likely get to the dissection in the next couple of weeks and report back again.
You might want to hit Paul Waterloo up to see if you can use his microscope.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:47 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Just FYI - the updated part has a non removable plastic switch on the back

Quick Reply: Ignition key won't sping back