Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wait... What?!? IMS removal, 4-6 head.. oh my.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wait... What?!? IMS removal, 4-6 head.. oh my.

Ok, so I have the drivers side head off and want to do the steps below, although all the items below require moving the crank.... Which I am nervous about now that I have chains dangling around.

1) Instructions to remove the head on the passenger side requires moving the crank to TDC for 4-6. Yet to remove the drivers head it has to be locked on TDC #1.. Am I clear to move the crank now that the drivers head it off?

2) IMS instructions also require moving the crank? I am not sure what to do as the crank is supposed to be locked during head removal.

Just confused.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

The reason to put the engine at TDC before cam cover removal is to try to make most of the valves off the cam lobes so the valve springs will put the least amount of pressure on the cams trying to push them away from the cylinders. This reduces the stress on the cams when the cover (part of the cam bearing journals) is removed.

With the bank 1 head removed, you just need to deal with bank 2. It's ok to turn the crank if you rotate the bank 1 timing chain more or less together so it doesn't get wrapped and sucked into and jam the sprocket on the IMS.

Turn the engine to TDC so you can insert the cam lock tool in bank 2 cams. Then it's safe to remove the bank 2 cam cover. You will have to turn the crank 360 degree if the tool doesn't line up with the cams.

Last edited by Ahsai; 03-28-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Also, once both heads are off, just remove all 3 chain tensioners and there will be no force acting on the IMS so you can just remove the IMSB flange without worrying about TDC. The IMS will be free to move a bit in all directions on the rms side.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:08 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! I plan to do all the steps above Saturday.

Quick Reply: Wait... What?!? IMS removal, 4-6 head.. oh my.