Read post #5.
10-4
Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Tdream1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastM96
10-4
I ended up cancelling my order for the LED in the spoiler as I guess it can cause a bulb out error on the dash.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:34 PM
talkenrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that purchased a smoked or clear 3rd brake LED and had it fail, I may be interested in buying it if not cosmetically damaged. PM me,,,
Old 04-08-2016, 09:05 AM
FastM96
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdream1
I ended up cancelling my order for the LED in the spoiler as I guess it can cause a bulb out error on the dash.
I sent you a PM on a related subject but I guess this nullifies the question. If installing this causes a bulb out error there has to be a work-around.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:36 PM
talkenrain
Instructor

I have a quick update to the problem of moisture getting into these lights. Apparently the manufacture has an issue in the bonding of the light assembly to the case, allowing moisture to seep into the housing. The heat from the engine and or the LEDs them selves will cause the lens to steam up and make a very cool looking 3rd brake light look foggy... Thanks to Dean donating his non functioning smoked 3rd brake light, I was able to do a quick study to find the hairline cracks. I cut the back off, put a new strip of LEDs inside, completely sealed the casing, and now have a very nice looking, very functional smoked 3rd brake LED. Here are a few pictures of the final product and how it looks mounted. No more fog and very bright...

Old 04-19-2016, 03:06 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the style of the LED tail lights I got from MaxSpeed as they are fantastic looking LED units that are completely plug and play (took five minutes to install). Yet don't look so radically different for OEM ones that they clearly look like after market units from some Chinese EBay store.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:46 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you replace your headlights with led's also?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 PM
racesx
Instructor

Originally Posted by talkenrain
I have a quick update to the problem of moisture getting into these lights. Apparently the manufacture has an issue in the bonding of the light assembly to the case, allowing moisture to seep into the housing. The heat from the engine and or the LEDs them selves will cause the lens to steam up and make a very cool looking 3rd brake light look foggy... Thanks to Dean donating his non functioning smoked 3rd brake light, I was able to do a quick study to find the hairline cracks. I cut the back off, put a new strip of LEDs inside, completely sealed the casing, and now have a very nice looking, very functional smoked 3rd brake LED. Here are a few pictures of the final product and how it looks mounted. No more fog and very bright...

Looks good, which LED did you choose, and any issues with the reconstruction of it?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:15 PM
CATA19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

talkenrain........ what LED tail lights do you have and where did you get them? They look very similar to Tdream1's in post #1, but not as much red.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:19 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Talkenrain - what did you use to seal the third light? I was just going to get some aquarium sealant since I saw your post before installing.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 PM
talkenrain
Instructor

I got my tail lights from pitlane. I love them. I tried every other led tail light out there (I have two other sets in my garage). Each has their own set of issues. I have the same ones in the first post but it was just too much red for me and my car color. I then tried the oem looking LEDs but looked too much like oem (duh). That's just not my personal taste. I wanted my car to look different. I found the clear lens with very lightly smoked looks better on my color car than the red. Still lights up very bright and looks great. The 3rd brake led matched perfectly and am now very happy with the overall look.

Yes, I also modified my headlights. That was another project that worked out great. Really looks different and 100 times better night illumination (and DRL). If anyone is interested I'll post that project as well.

When I get home I'll update with the LED strip I installed and the type of calking I used to seal it up. No issues with the cruse control or dashboard lights. The tail lights I used had resisters per installed. The tail light circuit expects an overall fixed load. That load can be applied at the tail light or the 3rd brake light (or both). If you have the correct load at the tail lights, you won't get an error with the lessor load of the led 3rd brake light. If you want more info or want me to elaborate, just let me know.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:43 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I also modified my headlights. That was another project that worked out great. Really looks different and 100 times better night illumination (and DRL). If anyone is interested I'll post that project as well.
yes, PLEASE!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I got my tail lights from pitlane. I love them. I tried every other led tail light out there (I have two other sets in my garage). Each has their own set of issues. I have the same ones in the first post but it was just too much red for me and my car color. I then tried the oem looking LEDs but looked too much like oem (duh). That's just not my personal taste. I wanted my car to look different. I found the clear lens with very lightly smoked looks better on my color car than the red. Still lights up very bright and looks great. The 3rd brake led matched perfectly and am now very happy with the overall look.

When I get home I'll update with the LED strip I installed and the type of calking I used to seal it up. No issues with the cruse control or dashboard lights. The tail lights I used had resisters per installed. The tail light circuit expects an overall fixed load. That load can be applied at the tail light or the 3rd brake light (or both). If you have the correct load at the tail lights, you won't get an error with the lessor load of the led 3rd brake light. If you want more info or want me to elaborate, just let me know.
Pitlane?? Do you have a link? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:01 AM
talkenrain
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Pitlane?? Do you have a link? Thanks.
http://www.pitlane.bg/en

It took a long time for delivery but worth the wait.

See the story here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...il-lights.html
Old 04-21-2016, 02:18 AM
talkenrain
Instructor

Originally Posted by kromdom
yes, PLEASE!
I will put it all together and post with pictures soon but here is my post once completed.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...n-project.html

I've done a ton of mods to my 996 in the past year.
HID bi-xenon headlights with DRL halo.
LED tail lights.
replaced all lights (inside and out) with LEDs
LEDs in dashboard, light switch and AC controls.
double din stereo with backup camera.
customer sub woofer.
dimming rear view mirror with garage door openers and compass.
activation and wiring for OBC.
changed steering wheel & clock spring to include radio controls.
custom horns.
increased range mod for key fob.

Thats just the electronics... The list of other mods are too long to list... I guess i have too much time on my hands but I love to tinker.

Quick Reply: Updated the lights on the rear of my 996