996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New here. Shopping for 996.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:41 PM
Dogote
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. Shopping for 996.......

Hello,

I'm David. I live in North Central WA. I'm considering (obsessing) on buying a 911. I am looking at 2000 through 2003 996's. One came up for sale at a rural Ford dealer. It is a C4 millennium edition. 34K miles, a couple previous owners. They want to get rid of it. No one in the town it's in gives it a second look. It's priced at 23K, but it sounds like they can go much lower.

What do you guys know about the millennium edition? From what I can find, it's a regular C4 with a nice interior. Any minuses with that?
One thing I am not liking about it is the color. I like silver cars, or a dark charcoal grey car. The color appears to be a dark grey/black with some sort of chameleon clear coat that gives it a green or purple sheen. I also really hate the chrome wheels, but I can get them powder coated. I'll also have 2 sets because I will need good snow tires.

I have not seen it in person yet. I'll go there this week. The place is 70 miles away, but only 40 further than work.

They say the last owner says the IMS bearing was changed, and there was something done with the clutch. But, they do not have any proof of that.

I am buying a 911/996 because I need a smaller car to drive to work about 50 to 60 percent of the time. I drive 30 miles each way on hwy. 97. No lights, no traffic, winds along the Columbia River. I get to work at 6AM, so I usually have the road to myself. I ride my motorcycle when it's warm enough and it is light out by at least the 1/4 way point. Too many deer to ride there in the dark if I don't have to. I also drive my Jeep Wrangler, but it's lifted and on big tires. I feel like I am wearing out off road suspension and tires for nothing. I'll still drive the Wrangler when the snow is deep, but when it's raining or covered in ice, I intend to drive the Porsche.

Maintenance. First off, let me explain my skill set. I am currently a mechanic for a medevac helicopter base. I take care of a Eurocopter EC135 that flys about 600 hours a year. I have also been a mechanic at a Lamborghini/Alfa Romeo dealer and worked on many of the used cars they had. Every thing from Porsche to Ferrari. I also owned a Ducati dealership for 10 years and am a master Ducati mechanic. I have a large shop, and will have a lift this year. So, any repairs and maintenance will be done by me. But, I don't want to be a slave to it. I'm thinking the 996 cars are pretty good at making it between scheduled maintenance with out needing too much additional care.

I look forward to getting to know this forum. From what I have read while lurking for the last few months, seems like your a decent group of people.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:52 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes the ME is a C4 with special paint (it's a chromatic purple that can look green, red, and blue depending on the light). Repainting the wheels would be a dumb thing to do. It's a special edition car and the wheels are part of it. Modifying a special car just ruins it.

Sounds to me like an ME is not the car for you (you don't like the color or wheels) so your best bet is to just keep looking as there are plenty available.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Dogote
AutoX

Originally Posted by gnat
Yes the ME is a C4 with special paint (it's a chromatic purple that can look green, red, and blue depending on the light). Repainting the wheels would be a dumb thing to do. It's a special edition car and the wheels are part of it. Modifying a special car just ruins it.

Sounds to me like an ME is not the car for you (you don't like the color or wheels) so your best bet is to just keep looking as there are plenty available.
I thought it was chromatic black. Purple, no thanks. Yes, I said paint/powder coat the wheels, but as it is a special, I would probably clean them and store them instead. But purple won't work for me. I think I need to hold out for silver, which IMO is the most proper Porsche color.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome!

Does the car look like this? If so I think it's beautiful. Just one opinion. Good luck with the search.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Dogote
AutoX

Originally Posted by Triple Black
Welcome!

Does the car look like this? If so I think it's beautiful. Just one opinion. Good luck with the search.
Yes. And it is beautiful. Just not for me. Currently all my cars are silver, 3 of them. It would be cool to keep it that way. I also have this thing about the old FIA racing colors. If I'm getting a Lotus, is going to be BRG, if I get another Alfa, it'll have to be red, so I am determined to buy a silver Porsche, but I'm not going to pass up a nice dark grey of black one just to be stubborn.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:21 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Pretty attractive price for a low mileage C4.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:29 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogote
Yes. And it is beautiful. Just not for me. Currently all my cars are silver, 3 of them. It would be cool to keep it that way. I also have this thing about the old FIA racing colors. If I'm getting a Lotus, is going to be BRG, if I get another Alfa, it'll have to be red, so I am determined to buy a silver Porsche, but I'm not going to pass up a nice dark grey of black one just to be stubborn.
Technically then, you need to be looking for a white car.

If you want a really good 996 priced very well, contact Gator996. It's not silver or white, but it is the BEST color.

Good luck with your search - take your time and get the right car.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Dogote
AutoX

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Technically then, you need to be looking for a white car.

If you want a really good 996 priced very well, contact Gator996. It's not silver or white, but it is the BEST color.

Good luck with your search - take your time and get the right car.
Yes, white is one of the FIA colors for German cars, and is a possibility. I looked up Gator996's car that is/was for sale. Very nice. Can't do red though. I'd feel like a target.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:20 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I thought it was chromatic black. Purple, no thanks.
It's a color that has to been seen in good light to be understood. I have never seen pictures of it that do it justice.

I'd still say it may be worth the drive to see it even if it's not the one for you. It will give you a base to judge other cars against.

Something else to consider on the ME is that it has the full leather interior. Most here will tell you that makes a world of difference in what you end up thinking about the quality of the car.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:32 PM
Dogote
AutoX

I think I'll go drive it tomorrow.

http://www.damskovautosales.com/used...AA299XYS620840
Old 03-20-2016, 08:58 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Low miles, the engine is going to implode, scare all the deers and animals around you, also your going to need the helicopter to take it to your shop. :0

You're a mechanic of luxury cars, so you know what to look for, don't get scare about some stuff you see over here. Is a beautiful color and the car looks in good shape for a great price, I don't know how much they will hassle regarding the price, usually dealers interchange vehicles or they can always put it on auction.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:05 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Their information about the wheels is wrong. They are 18s. I never remember, but I think the fronts are 7.5 wide and the rears are 9. The name is wrong too as they are not C4 specific (actually have a 993 part number). The correct name is Glossy Turbo-look if I remember correctly.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Dogote
AutoX

I talked to the head sales guys (may be one of the only sales guys, small dealer) and he said he knew nothing about them except what he found in 5 minutes of internet searching. The car is in Omak, ever been to OmaK? Broke Indian reservation town. I think I could get this car around what he would expect to auction it for. He'd still come out ahead of auction money since he'd save transportation and fees.

The last car we bought was a Jeep Commander from a dealers "off to the auction" line. It had some urban 22" wheels, and is a model thats not made anymore. We offered low book wholesale and drove it home. I resold the wheels for enough to pay for some redneck wheels and tires, and a nice 2" lift. Still have it. Great SUV with a 5.7 Hemi.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like a great deal on a very special, low mileage 996. Assuming it passes a thorough PPI of course. I think it's worth having a look and a test drive even if it isn't the car for you.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,414 Likes on 2,689 Posts

I would hold off on buying a narrow body 996 and purchase a nice 2002-2003 C4S

There is a fellow RL'er named Phil (user name UK2) who lives in Kennewick, Wa.(central Wa.) who has a nice seal grey/black example with 104K miles - He is currently looking for a 997 and will be selling when he locates the car. I was in contact with him only last week.

He will be asking $22-$23K when he sells - Very good deal on a nice well maintained car - The C4S is a superior car with better performance/handling and beautiful looking.

You will be way ahead if you can get this car. PM him and discuss it - may work out for you

Quick Reply: New here. Shopping for 996.......