996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New here. Shopping for 996.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:24 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I may be in the minority here but I love the millennium edition. If you can confirm the IMS was done that is a great car at a great price. The ME had almost every option. And the color is cool as heck. In the pictures to me looks like it was repainted?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:00 AM
Dogote
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I would hold off on buying a narrow body 996 and purchase a nice 2002-2003 C4S

There is a fellow RL'er named Phil (user name UK2) who lives in Kennewick, Wa.(central Wa.) who has a nice seal grey/black example with 104K miles - He is currently looking for a 997 and will be selling when he locates the car. I was in contact with him only last week.

He will be asking $22-$23K when he sells - Very good deal on a nice well maintained car - The C4S is a superior car with better performance/handling and beautiful looking.

You will be way ahead if you can get this car. PM him and discuss it - may work out for you
Kennewick is pretty close to me, usually 3 hours. I work at the Medevac base there sometimes (Richland actually, part of the tri-cities) In fact, the 4 wheeled vehicle I bought was in Kennewick last year. 1986 Jeep Comanche, not as exciting as a 911, but serves a specific purpose for my wife and I (little farm truck)

I will contact UK2. I love the seal grey. from what I have heard, there is nothing wrong with a 100K mile 996. Should be good for another 100, right?

So I am not familiar with narrow vs. other type bodies. I know the S looks a bit different, but isn't it just bumpers? I have yet to find a good comparison of the various 996 era cars.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

The C4S is a superior car with better performance/handling and beautiful looking.
That is your opinion. I agree that the C4S is a great looking 996 but many of us love the C2 and think it is a better performer - same engine, lighter, and RWD make for great performance, especially on track. The C4S originally came with better brakes and suspension, but those can be upgraded.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:03 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Violet Chromaflair Metallic is the name of the paint and it is stunning in person. The interior is a perfect compliment save for those hideous wood accents. And what a great price. Buy it and I'll trade you for my silver 2000 C2.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:26 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black
That is your opinion. I agree that the C4S is a great looking 996 but many of us love the C2 and think it is a better performer - same engine, lighter, and RWD make for great performance, especially on track. The C4S originally came with better brakes and suspension, but those can be upgraded.
we all have our own taste but until you have driven a C4S, how can you say it is a better performer? i've owned both and can say C4S is a superior performer as well as better aggressive design. These are my opinions but i'd have to say 95% of the 996 community would agree.

Last edited by groovzilla; 03-21-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:42 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a fellow RL'er named Phil (user name UK2) who lives in Kennewick, Wa.(central Wa.) who has a nice seal grey/black example with 104K miles - He is currently looking for a 997 and will be selling when he locates the car. I was in contact with him only last week.

He will be asking $22-$23K when he sells - Very good deal on a nice well maintained car - The C4S is a superior car with better performance/handling and beautiful looking.

You will be way ahead if you can get this car. PM him and discuss it - may work out for you
My (old) neighborhood! Sounds like good value. Usually, the Tri-Cities are like a ghost town for trying to buy Porsches.

4S is probably the cleanest shape of the entire 996 line, in my opinion. They're gorgeous. Some of the low mileage ones are starting to command ridiculous prices, well into 997 money, but there are still good deals to be had on well-driven ones.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:42 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dogote
Kennewick is pretty close to me, usually 3 hours. I work at the Medevac base there sometimes (Richland actually, part of the tri-cities) In fact, the 4 wheeled vehicle I bought was in Kennewick last year. 1986 Jeep Comanche, not as exciting as a 911, but serves a specific purpose for my wife and I (little farm truck)

I will contact UK2. I love the seal grey. from what I have heard, there is nothing wrong with a 100K mile 996. Should be good for another 100, right?

So I am not familiar with narrow vs. other type bodies. I know the S looks a bit different, but isn't it just bumpers? I have yet to find a good comparison of the various 996 era cars.
The 1999-2004 narrow body 996 was made in a C2(2 wheel drive) and C4(all wheel drive) - The earlier 1999-2002 996's(996.1) had different headlights which were the same as the boxster. Sometime in 2002 the headlight design was changed to a sleeker design.
The 2002-2004(some 05's)996.2 C4S is basically the turbo body (w/o the rear fender scoops) which is wider by about 3", different tail lights and overly more aggressive stance. The C4S has the bigger turbo brakes too.

Just pop some different 996's on your computer screen and you can visually compare - some guys with the narrow body cars add on fender skirts to widen rockers and change out front bumpers.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:38 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Umm, let's see. C2 is a lighter car than a C4s with same engine so can we agree to disagree on "The C4S is a superior car with better performance/handling". Because you know, "physics"

Last edited by MiamiC70; 03-22-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

we all have our own taste but until you have driven a C4S, how can you say it is a better performer?
Well, since you asked... to me, performance is a measurable quantity. 0 to 60 in xx seconds, x.x g's on a skid pad, but my favorite (and the one I was referring to) would have to be fastest around a race track That's how I measure performance.

Looks, on the other hand, are completely subjective. Some prefer the wide body look. I prefer the sleek lines of the C2 and see the wide body as the 996 "on steroids". Just my $.02.

Not sure if any of this helps the OP. If not, sorry for taking your thread off course.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:56 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Umm, let's see. C2 is a lighter car than a C4s with same engine so can we agree to disagree on "The C4S is a superior car with better performance/handling". Because you know, "physics"
my experience, C2 narrow body has more "roll" in the corners than the C4S. i don't claim to be a physics expert, just a guy who has owned 2 narrow bodies and 3 C4S's
Old 03-22-2016, 02:01 AM
Dogote
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all helps. For me, other than buying a color I like, a 911 is a 911. They all have pluses and minuses. I like the flat 6 engine, the rear wheel drive rear engine layout, and the sports and racing heritage that comes along with it.

I do think the C4S is a bit cooler, but I'd be happy with a C4, or even a C2.

What I would really like to know is how well a C4 does on ice compared to a C2. How do they do being pushed a little in the rain? Over rough, narrow 2 lane country roads?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

my experience, C2 narrow body has more "roll" in the corners than the C4S. i don't claim to be a physics expert, just a guy who has owned 2 narrow bodies and 3 C4S's
X74 = roll problem solved X51 + LSD added in just for ****s and giggles as I pull away.

Come on, a C4s is arguably "prettier" because of the wide body and that's an opinion I actually agree with. However, a C4s better performing that a C2? I don't think so Better performance that a 40Th AE C2? I KNOW for sure it's not.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:48 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogote
It all helps. For me, other than buying a color I like, a 911 is a 911. They all have pluses and minuses. I like the flat 6 engine, the rear wheel drive rear engine layout, and the sports and racing heritage that comes along with it.

I do think the C4S is a bit cooler, but I'd be happy with a C4, or even a C2.

What I would really like to know is how well a C4 does on ice compared to a C2. How do they do being pushed a little in the rain? Over rough, narrow 2 lane country roads?
You might as well hold out and get a car you absolutely love without any reservations. Your choice of a C4 seems wise based on your location and desire to drive it a lot in all weather. The S version will be a little sexier by most common choices...but just go with your gut. A good book on the 996 (all models) is "996 The Essential Companion"...you can find them used on Amazon. 600 plus pages of every aspect of every variation in the 996 history. I went for an early 2000 model year with the 1st generation dual row IMS bearing and the 3.4 engine and I'm very happy with the choice. The early dual row bearing has a less than 1% failure rate according to Porsche in the class action settlement. It is the second generation bearing that has the 4 to 8 percent failure rate. Bottom line, whatever model year you buy, you can always do a bearing fix before something happens and give yourself tens of thousands of trouble free miles.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:09 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Doggy, you say that you think they will go "much lower" in price. Offer 18K and walk away with the deal of the day if they take it. I think a C4 is a great choice for anyone who lives where it rains or snows. We have neither here, so I prefer a C2.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:13 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

"Doggy"?

I don't get it.

Quick Reply: New here. Shopping for 996.......