Sponsored by:

Stupid question on climate control

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:50 AM
DaMann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question on climate control

I did read the manual on this but it didn't really specify and yes i did a search!

I want to be able to keep the air moving on defrost to keep the windows clear on rainy days but I want the temperature to be neutral or cool, not hot. I have it on manual, temp set at the lowest it will go ( 18.5 c) but the air comes out hot. So essentially I start baking in the car just to keep the windows clear. Any other car I've been in I can control the temperature of the air but I can't seem to do it in the 996. I don't want the AC on because it's still cool outside. It seems setting the temperature at it's lowest doesn't change the air temp coming out. Am I missing something? Can the air temp be controlled or is it basically hot to warm up and cold when cooling in the summer?

Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2016, 03:55 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

don't use the defroster button, just direct the air to the defroster vents using the buttons on the right side
Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 AM
FastM96
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had good results with the A/C compressor on. Regardless of the temp outside remember you are trying to achieve a particular temp inside the car. I think most would consider 18c - 19c 'cool.' You also need A/C to remove moisture from the air inside the vehicle which will help keep the windows clear. Without A/C the only way the system can remove moisture is by applying heat.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:03 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

There is no mystery here...it works just like every other car in the world. To defrost and keep the windows clear...engage the A/C, set your temp for your comfort, and direct air using the air flow buttons to where you need it. You can direct air to more than one zone, such as the defroster vents and center vents. The A/C works as a dehumidifier removing moisture from the cabin. Is this the first car you've owned?
Old 03-19-2016, 01:57 PM
DaMann
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions. I will play around with it
Old 03-19-2016, 02:12 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Is this the first car you've owned?
It's the only car I've owned with a designated defrost button that sets the temp to high and fan speed to high in addition to engaging the A/C - that's probably where the confusion exists.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for using A/C all the time. Use the automatic mode and be sure you use the A/C all the time and your windows will never fog. At least that has been my experience.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Agreed, made mine my daily driver a year ago which meant driving in rain and snow and the best remedy is to have the a/c on all the time until it dries out.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:07 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
Agreed, made mine my daily driver a year ago which meant driving in rain and snow and the best remedy is to have the a/c on all the time until it dries out.
The A/C is completely disabled with the OAT below ~34F.

It will operate above ~34F but climatic conditions dictate if it will be efficient in dehumidifying FRESH incoming airflow. The closer the OAT gets to the disable point, ~34F, the higher must the humidity be to efficiently dehumidify the incoming FRESH airflow.

Here in the NW I find it is overall best to disable the A/C entirely during the winter months.

The design engineers have no way of detecting the level of interior windshield fogging so the BEST design solution for the DEFROST/DEFOG/DEMIST function is to apply MAXIMUM HEAT and blower SPEED when the driver selects this mode.

The driver, once noting the full clearing of the windshield, is then free to select a configuration that best works to prevent the onset of more condensation.

Some cars have dual function, footwell airflow combined with defog airflow.

One of the main problems in operating the A/C during the winter months occurs POST this use. When the A/C shuts down, say underway as you reach a subfreezing area, the evaporator might well be fully saturated with condensate.

The A/C is disabled now allowing a serious level of humid air to enter the cabin.

I added a manual switch to the A/C compressor circuit to my 2001 C4 so the A/C can be disabled unless I truly need a cooling capability.

My 2001 F/AWD RX300 has a factory CBEST setting that adds this same capability.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:46 PM
DaMann
Advanced

Originally Posted by wwest
The A/C is completely disabled with the OAT below ~34F.

It will operate above ~34F but climatic conditions dictate if it will be efficient in dehumidifying FRESH incoming airflow. The closer the OAT gets to the disable point, ~34F, the higher must the humidity be to efficiently dehumidify the incoming FRESH airflow.

Here in the NW I find it is overall best to disable the A/C entirely during the winter months.

The design engineers have no way of detecting the level of interior windshield fogging so the BEST design solution for the DEFROST/DEFOG/DEMIST function is to apply MAXIMUM HEAT and blower SPEED when the driver selects this mode.

The driver, once noting the full clearing of the windshield, is then free to select a configuration that best works to prevent the onset of more condensation.

Some cars have dual function, footwell airflow combined with defog airflow.

One of the main problems in operating the A/C during the winter months occurs POST this use. When the A/C shuts down, say underway as you reach a subfreezing area, the evaporator might well be fully saturated with condensate.

The A/C is disabled now allowing a serious level of humid air to enter the cabin.

I added a manual switch to the A/C compressor circuit to my 2001 C4 so the A/C can be disabled unless I truly need a cooling capability.

My 2001 F/AWD RX300 has a factory CBEST setting that adds this same capability.
Thanks! I know everyone is saying use AC but that is exactly what I don't want to do. I just want to blow neutral air over the windows to keep them clear ( that's all that is needed in this climate). I think where I was going wrong was always leaving the defrost button on. Once the windows are clear I just want the heat off and air blowing over them. I will try with the defrost button off. I think that's where I was going wrong.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
I thought that is what the "snowflake" button did - manually shut off the A/C. Different on the 2001?
Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 PM
DaMann
Advanced

Ok I just took the car for a drive and my issue was indeed the defrost button. I had always left it on to aim the vents up at the window but it also keeps the temp forced to hot.. As to your suggestion I turned the defrost off and switched the vents to the window and I was then able to regulate my heat.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-20-2016, 11:25 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

@wwest, I totally disagree. A/C condenser on decreases cabin humidity all year around. Not sure where you live, but we don't see -34F in these parts but once a millennium.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:56 AM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cheekybird
@wwest, I totally disagree. A/C condenser on decreases cabin humidity all year around. Not sure where you live, but we don't see -34F in these parts but once a millennium.
~34F...

~ = "about" ..

As in " about 34F

You may well leave you A/C on all the time, but you cannot fool mother nature, if the A/C evaporator cannot cool the airflow down to the dewpoint then no moisture will condense on the evaporator vane surfaces.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:59 AM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I thought that is what the "snowflake" button did - manually shut off the A/C. Different on the 2001?
My manual switch disables the A/C indefinitely, no need to remember to use the snowflake button for each restart.

Quick Reply: Stupid question on climate control