Sponsored by:

Trouble removing Strut bolts/nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 08:58 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
I've been working on the second strut for three days now - Soaking with PB blaster and hammering with a drift. I've also used a bit of heat (heat gun) but I'm very hesitant to use too much on the aluminum casting... I can't even get this bolt to turn, whereas the other one turned, it just wouldn't back out... Man, what a pain in the ***! I'm thinking I may need to bring the whole carrier/strut assembly to a shop with a press and have them press it out...
Have them extract the bearing at the same time. Perhaps take both carriers with you...just an idea.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Good thinking Joe !
Old 02-08-2021, 12:14 PM
redputter
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had trouble removing the drop link bolt through the wheel carrier, so this and other info online has been helpful. I did end up putting some propane-powered heat on it at one point but I'm not sure I did it long enough to do anything. The strut itself would be wiggled left/right/up/down, so I know it wasn't the tab getting in the way of the bolt. I recently picked up my first bottle of Kroil, so I was very liberal with this. For a while I couldn't get the bolt itself to turn, so I ended up grinding off the joint on the back side leading to the drop link itself. This allowed me to get a 17mm socket on and turn it. It was helpful to turn the steering wheel left and right to get better access to hitting the bolt with a 3 or 4 lb hammer. (I did not undo the tie rod ends).
I first starting working on this on Friday, sprayed a little more Kroil on Saturday, then worked on it Sunday night, so maybe the time aspect helped a bit. After having a better angle to hit the bolt, and confirming there was some movement turning in, I was able to get some slight movement in the axial direction. A little more Kroil and and more pounding got this moving and eventually out! This was a big win as I was worried what I would have to do to get this out!
Note, this was on the driver's (left) side, I still need to get to the passenger side.

Quick Reply: Trouble removing Strut bolts/nuts