996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help! My 996 cab just broke down in an intersection

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Yea, I feel ya KK. But you may want to try and list it in it's current condition... describing in detail, the problem at hand. The value is in the motor. Even if you have the transmission fixed, it probably won't be a return on investment. Now, on the other hand, if you want to restore the car for yourself, then that's a different ballgame. Have you tired contacting Stonegate in Cleveland GA? He'll give you a good price. He get's Jake Raby to repair and service his cars before reselling them. You may get close to you price.

http://stonegateautosales.com

By the way, how's the Mustang running?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:50 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What about sell the motor, then sell the roller?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:58 AM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
What about sell the motor, then sell the roller?
I'd have to find a way to remove said motor.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 AM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Yea, I feel ya KK. But you may want to try and list it in it's current condition... describing in detail, the problem at hand. The value is in the motor. Even if you have the transmission fixed, it probably won't be a return on investment. Now, on the other hand, if you want to restore the car for yourself, then that's a different ballgame. Have you tired contacting Stonegate in Cleveland GA? He'll give you a good price. He get's Jake Raby to repair and service his cars before reselling them. You may get close to you price.

http://stonegateautosales.com

By the way, how's the Mustang running?
Oh I've accepted there will be no return on investment. I knew that going in. Mustang is a champ! Actually just put a roof rack on it to move the kayak around. Looks pretty interesting. Lol
Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by krazyk86cu
Oh I've accepted there will be no return on investment. I knew that going in. Mustang is a champ! Actually just put a roof rack on it to move the kayak around. Looks pretty interesting. Lol
Mustang with a roof rack. And you live in the south??? hahahaha

I gotta see this... Please post a picture when you have time. You may be the only dude with the ***** to put a boat rack on top of a new Mustang. Actually, on second thought, that just might be best "redneck thang" I've heard of in quite a while. ha!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:32 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Mustang with a roof rack. And you live in the south??? hahahaha

I gotta see this... Please post a picture when you have time. You may be the only dude with the ***** to put a boat rack on top of a new Mustang. Actually, on second thought, that just might be best "redneck thang" I've heard of in quite a while. ha!
Ask and you shall receive!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Now, I've seen everything! hahahaha KK, you really know how to deliver a good laugh man! How do you manage to get all these toys with having a girlfriend?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyk86cu
Yeah I'm not expecting that much for a roller. Just stating that if someone offered that I'd take it in a heartbeat.
I'd post it for 10K as a roller. I've seen cars with salvaged titles crashed on Copart routinely hit close to 10K.

If you have proof it is a remanufactured motor, I think 10K as a roller should be doable. Motors are selling for between 6-10K used. I know DC Dismantlers recently made an offer of $7K for a car that had been hit VERY hard in the front.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:56 PM
Nathan Jackson
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this was already covered (im at work and didnt have time to read ALL 37 PAGES!!) but a car going through 2 trannies in so little mileage, there's gotta be a problem with the car causing the problem??
Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if Rennlist should not pay money to the owners of the most entertaining threads! At least then you get something out of it. It is totally weird that you continue to have these issues, and in the meantime your money goes down the drain. Only "good" thing is you are now saving on insurance. Just saw another story where the tip was replaced by a manual gearbox? Maybe that would be your ultimate solution if you didn't sell the car in the meantime as a roller.
It would be worthwhile in the meantime if you'd set the car up for a long time storage (fill fuel tank, fresh oil, pump those tires to 4 bar etc).
Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

I'm bacckkkkkk! Hey guys and welcome to part 3 of this endless saga of desperation. It's been about a year or more since I pushed my 996 into my second garage and shut the door so I wouldn't have to think about it. Fast forward to today and the misses and I are buying a house. We're building my 3-car dream garage but I'd prefer to not have a dead 996 sitting in it. With that said, it's finally time to get something done. At this point I have about 4 scenarios that could play out. I called up Gabe today (the mechanic who fixed Dennis the Menace's blunderings) and went over the options. First scenario, we talked about the idea of selling the car as a roller and that it would probably fetch a decent price since its a roller with a bad trans and good engine rather than a roller with a dead engine. He reckons I could get $13xxx for it. Everything is in great shape sans the trans. However, based on what I told him my most recent mechanic, the savant said, he's not convinced that the trans is the issue. Enter second and third scenarios. He believes it could potentially be a computer/controller issue. If thats the case, it would be a potentially inexpensive fix and I could either sell the car for KBB or keep it and drive it like I originally intended. The last scenario, the trans is toast. I could search around for a third transmission and have it installed and sell the car.

With all that said, I'm going to eventually have the car towed out to Gabe's shop so he can give it a look over. I may try and have this done in December, or perhaps after the New Year. With that said, if anybody who has the means to dismantle and part the car out is interested, hit me up. The engine is obviously the most valuable part of the car and has less miles on it than the car does as this car was an IMSB failure that had the engine replaced by Porsche under warranty. The engine was replaced with a NEW engine at 22,400 miles. The car has 60,535 miles on it now, so the engine only has 38,135 miles on it. The body and everything else is in good condition.

Last edited by krazyk86cu; 11-21-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

If you need a good tiptronic C2 transaxle, I have one... Hell, I’ll send it to you, and you can pay me when the car sells!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:01 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
If you need a good tiptronic C2 transaxle, I have one... Hell, I’ll send it to you, and you can pay me when the car sells!
PM'ed!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:24 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Sup KK!!! Glad to hear things are potentially on the positive. I hope you get it back running again. That would great ending to this nightmare of a story. It probably ranks in the top 10 of Rennlist Epic stories. But keep your head up... at least you have some kind of 996 in your garage, that's more than I have at the moment. Not sure if you heard, but I needed to sell mine to round up some cash to replace my wife's Volvo SUV that was ALSO having transmission issues. It wasn't a seriously diseased tranny (like yours), but I didn't want to flush money into it since it was more than 10 years old and had high miles. I sold it to a friend and combined the money from my Porsche and the Volvo to buy her a Tahoe. But I must admit, I really miss the 996. It was great therapy to drive it up to the North GA mountains just by myself. I'm not sure when I'll be back in another 996, but life has other priorities at the moment and so I just have to wait it out. Waiting is a hard pill to swallow. I'm know you understand. I wish had more options.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The 996 has been a champ ever since getting everything fixed.
If you don't mind me asking, what happened after this? The thread posts don't explain what happened to the 2nd Tip. So the shifter linkage problem did not solve the issue or the 2nd trans was already damaged before the last shop fixed the linkage? Just when I thought the Tip might be a viable option, I read this fiasco. Doesn't say much for the Tip does it? Sorry to read about yours.

Quick Reply: Help! My 996 cab just broke down in an intersection