996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My pending CDR-23 MOST swap/upgrade

Old 02-22-2016, 08:51 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My pending CDR-23 MOST swap/upgrade

When I get back from a vacation in a couple of weeks, I will take my 2003 C2 coupe to a well-regarded stereo shop, for the first (and maybe only) phase of a long-considered removal of the head unit and power amp. I will give some background and the new line-up now; pictures in around three weeks.

My head unit has had re-set issues for a long time, which are getting progressively worse this winter, and now include suddent volume drops (or surges) and a lot of CP play malfunction at cold temps. I did the Becker hard-wire Aux in mod a couple of years ago. It is mono only. My goals were (1) reliable performance; (2) full Bluetooth integration; (3) iPod/streaming music, (4) sufficient power for the existing Bose "12" speaker array, and (5) single DIN sizing. I was not wedded to the "factory look", up to a point. It never stopped my from upgrading a car stereo before; why should it now? But I am not moved to place a fabricated sub housing in the car, in part because I am not sure it is needed, sound-wise. And I briefly considered a new Alpine double DIN unit, but it is completely Apple-centric, to the point that it offers little else. I concluded that it was too dependent on Apple, and also that playing with an iPad-size touch screen is probably as dangerous as playing with a phone!

Sorry for rambling. I will be having an Alpine CDEHD149BT installed. Power amp will probably be a Kenwood XR9005, although I want them to make one last try to fit an Alpine power amp. Full Bluetooth with a mic to be installed, decent iPhone compatibility, HD radio; aux in and USB in. The aux in will go in one of the dummy rocker switches in the batwings; the usb will go in the back of one of the cubbies that replaced the CD holder.

I am not a Bose hater. For now, this system will power the dash panel, front door and rear subs. The rear side panel speakers may run off of the head unit, but may wind up being disconnected. I have begun my homework on speakers, but I will wait several months to make that decision. I just don't think the system is that bad! And I've been picky about speakers since I bought a pair of AR-5s 40 years ago (still have them).

Photos to come. And I will keep the MOST harness in place, and keep the head unit and power amp. I have no plans to sell the car, but I will do it, anyway.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:20 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

First update. The system is in. I wound up having Worl Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville, PA install it (Shout out to Chris. Good people). An Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit, and an Alpine MRVV500 power amp. I have an adapter and face plate on order, to finish the job by flush-mounting the usb port in the back of one of the cubbies.

I forgot to take a photo of the microphone, which is center mounted, just to the right of the visor. The "amber" light scheme doesn't exactly match the stock interior lights. Not a deal-breaker for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My pending CDR-23 MOST swap/upgrade