Sponsored by:

roof rack question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 02:52 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question roof rack question

Do you think the porsche techequipment rack can be adapted to work with yakima bike holders? My bike has a really large frame and won't work with most frame clamps. Also my fork has a very large axel and won't work with most for clamps.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of problem?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:33 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I am a road bike man, I just sold my MTB. I've learned that we can only get Porsche clamps with the crossbar. Either MTB or road forks. I have a great yakima rack and components that won't work. What's really a bummer, their charging Porsche prices for the rack and components.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:57 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Rbarna,
You can adapt either a thule or a yaki to fit on the porsche racks...I've done it. Unfortunately I don't have a small enough pic to put on here...
but here is someone that converted a set of thules (not sure how he did his)

You'll need to get bolts with a wide flat head, like an upside down T, or a bolt and washers. They should be able to slide into the Porsche rack. They should also be long enough to go thru the bike tray (which will need to be drilled in the rear). The front mount piece depends on which bike rack you have...
Old 10-06-2003, 11:24 AM
TitanL9
Pro

Interesting... I don't know of anybody that mounts their MTB in that manner, due to front shocks. How did the owner overcome front shock travel during driving?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:06 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Titan,
Not sure why front shocks would prevent carrying this way. The front shock don't really move unless you but weight over, but even if they were fully compressed it wouldn't effect the skewer mount, the same way it doesn't effect the bike tire/skewer when you're riding.

Sometimes the disc brake mount can get in the way, but the shocks shouldn't be an issue. I've been carrying both of my Full Susp bikes this way for years, on my range rover, as well as my porsche, just had to make sure the disc brake mount was clear...
Old 10-06-2003, 02:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,860 Likes on 2,397 Posts

yes, both yakima and thule "trays" can be adapted to porsche cross bar (lack of better term). you drill through the trays and bolt it down to porsche cross bar, that's all.

i do both mt and rd. front shocks will not move on the rack.
on magura martas and hope mini's, the brake caliber WILL interfere with try, you need to "gouge" the tray a bit at that area to make fork drop out fit securely.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:28 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the yakima ankel biter duce which allows me to attach the bike by the crank arm. this is because I have oversized axels on my suspension setup.

So what you guys are telling me is that the yakima tray can be adapted to fit by drilling a hole.

I will buy the rack online ASAP!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,860 Likes on 2,397 Posts

the "normal" yakima tray works, i am not familar with how the tray of ankle biter work. what kind of FS you got? i did a bunch of them: truth, ID, blur, maverick, smoothie, mootaineer, duo....
Old 10-06-2003, 06:25 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

OOH...the anklebiter might be a bit trickier, but I guarantee it can be done...
you can drill the rear of the tray, but the area where the crank arm grabs needs to be more firmly attached than simply thru the tray, the torsionally rigidity of the tray will NOT hold it alone.
But since there is that plate assembly on the front you should def be able to figure something out. See if the might mount will work (horiz or vert) not sure where they carry those. Paragon doesn't have them, you might try princeton ski in the city...

Quick Reply: roof rack question