996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My Eureka moment with water drains in our 996 cabs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Thanks for the excellent photos. I always have trouble interpreting Porsche's diagrams. The pictures really clear things up.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Rolex11 for the sweet photos....I will check mine out.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:02 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Today I replaced the corrugated black plastic hose with clear soft plastic hose (see pic arrow D).

I used a long section and attached it to the male nozzle on the inside quarter panel where it connects and blew cigarette smoke into it. Did not see any smoke come out anywhere. I was expecting to see it come out where ever the water inlet is for the tube, but didn't. I seemed to be able to blow it in quite easily with only a little back pressure. I did it several times but no smoke came out anywhere. Maybe mine are clogged.

My guess is hose is fed by the 3 slots (arrow B in earlier photos) in the top outside quarter panel channel.

I asked if anyone knew where the water inlets are for these. Does anyone know for sure? I know they are for drainage because the hose clips into the collection pan.

Worth while upgrade since the black plastic OEM hoses break and crack and come loose from the inside quarter panel nozzle where they attach.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2017, 04:16 PM
alan111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
Today I replaced the corrugated black plastic hose with clear soft plastic hose (see pic arrow D).

I used a long section and attached it to the male nozzle on the inside quarter panel where it connects and blew cigarette smoke into it. Did not see any smoke come out anywhere. I was expecting to see it come out where ever the water inlet is for the tube, but didn't. I seemed to be able to blow it in quite easily with only a little back pressure. I did it several times but no smoke came out anywhere. Maybe mine are clogged.

My guess is hose is fed by the 3 slots (arrow B in earlier photos) in the top outside quarter panel channel.

I asked if anyone knew where the water inlets are for these. Does anyone know for sure? I know they are for drainage because the hose clips into the collection pan.

Worth while upgrade since the black plastic OEM hoses break and crack and come loose from the inside quarter panel nozzle where they attach.
I'm bumping this today because I had the same problem and the guidance here was invaluable. I have a 997 but the drainage systems are the same.

Were you ever able to figure out where the water inlet is for the black tube? Before buttoning everything back up, I asked my cousin to spray water all along the side panel of the car, the top of the canvas roof, the back side, the side and back clamshell and no one water was coming through the black tube. All of the water was channeled down the "water slide" but could not figure out where the inlet is for that tube!

I just want to be sure it is all working correctly now before I leave my car in the rain again.

Anyone else?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:56 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know of a different reason why there would be water on the floor? I discovered a little bit of water in the rear driver side footwell. Last weekend I pulled the carpet up, dried it all out. I was pretty happy with how dry I got everything. I also cleaned out all the drains, and figured all was good. The Porsche sat in the garage all week, I drove my Jeep to work everyday. Today I opened the Porsche up to check on it, as I am going to drive it tomorrow. I discovered more moisture in the rear driver side footwell!! I don't get it. It was dry last week, and sat in the garage. How can it be wet again??
Old 02-24-2019, 05:44 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570
Does anyone know of a different reason why there would be water on the floor? I discovered a little bit of water in the rear driver side footwell. Last weekend I pulled the carpet up, dried it all out. I was pretty happy with how dry I got everything. I also cleaned out all the drains, and figured all was good. The Porsche sat in the garage all week, I drove my Jeep to work everyday. Today I opened the Porsche up to check on it, as I am going to drive it tomorrow. I discovered more moisture in the rear driver side footwell!! I don't get it. It was dry last week, and sat in the garage. How can it be wet again??
I'm bumping this thread again - same issue here - wet behind the driver's seat, and some (but not as much) wetness on the passenger side. If I push my finger into the carpet seam under the front of the rear seat there is water there. Same as above, my car was parked in covered parking for a week, then in the garage. It has not been in the rain for a while - but it has been at the carwash. So logically that is where the water is coming from - and it seems like clean water too. Also I have the hardtop on. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Daryll
Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Brian996
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a great and helpful thread. I had annoying soaked rear passenger carpet. I found my clog by taking the tire and the three plastic nuts off. Thank god the inside of the car is painted under the carpets. This is a major rust incident waiting to happen. Thank god there were no signs of rust whatsoever. Easy enough to clean. Should be on everyone’s maintenance list.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:26 PM
mph070770
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post rolex11. I, like others on here, couldn't work out the waterflow. I have just had very damp passenger carpets that sent the spoiler and rear lights on my 997 crazy. I've cleaned the wheel arch drain (quite a bit of silt) but still have a suspicion that there is another blockage. Did you find out what drains feed the corrugated tube? I poured water into slot B in your photo and it seemed to come out at the front wheel?? I'm sure when I've done this in the past it came out of the rear wheel arch drain so I'm worried I have an unseen blockage between B and the corrugated pipe connection point. Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2019, 07:10 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

These photos say exactly whats going on:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...512a4f29f.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c110dd46e.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cd9590eee.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...58988b626.jpeg

They were in 'my new ride' thread:
The following users liked this post:
PBradz (02-13-2022)
Old 10-24-2019, 12:36 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mph070770
Thanks for the post rolex11. I, like others on here, couldn't work out the waterflow. I have just had very damp passenger carpets that sent the spoiler and rear lights on my 997 crazy. I've cleaned the wheel arch drain (quite a bit of silt) but still have a suspicion that there is another blockage. Did you find out what drains feed the corrugated tube? I poured water into slot B in your photo and it seemed to come out at the front wheel?? I'm sure when I've done this in the past it came out of the rear wheel arch drain so I'm worried I have an unseen blockage between B and the corrugated pipe connection point. Any ideas?
It is just my guess that the slots feed the corrugated tube. WOW, it came out at the front wheels? That doesn't seem right. Now you have me curious again. I think I'll do some testing tomorrow.

Like I said, I once attached a longer tube and blew smoke in it. Never was able to see any smoke coming from anywhere, in fact, if I remember it was sort of hard to blow into the tube, almost as if it was blocked. My only other guess is it may just be a vent to a closed/sealed area where perhaps condensation can accumulate and this is simply a opening to vent it and no water actually exits. Since there would be only small amounts of liquid that would result from condensation, routing it to the collection pan may not have been totally necessary but done for good measure.

A test I've been wanting to do is to route the tube into a small bottle with an aspirin at the bottom, and after some time check to see if there's any water in the bottle or if the aspirin is dissolved. In case you didn't figure it out, the aspirin is to detect if water entered the bottle and then evaporated. Of course you could use anything that would show signs of water, a piece of paper, sugar, etc. I would suspect that if after several months of washes and spending time in rain storms, if there is no water detected that this is not a drain but simply a vent.

Last edited by rolex11; 10-24-2019 at 01:29 AM.
dubl356 (08-11-2021)
Old 10-26-2019, 10:21 AM
mph070770
AutoX

Rolex11 - I think you have a career in forensics!

tom__w - thanks for the photos. Your https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cd9590eee.jpeg photo gives a clue. Is the metal tube that the corrugated pipe connects to just an open hole on the other side of the panel? If so, the location doesn't seem to make any sense to me?
Old 10-26-2019, 11:58 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Must be smoking some good **** to get so deep into this!
dporto (11-02-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Clean out my drains a few months ago - this thread was very helpful. My car had been parked outside for quite a while before I bought it, and there was basically mud in the drain system. Once I got that out, the drains work normally and my carpet is dry.
Thanks to @rolex11 for all of the information and research that he did to show us how the system works.
Daryll
Old 11-02-2019, 01:18 PM
mph070770
AutoX

So does anyone know the purpose of the corrugated pipe? It looks like it's half way up the body so what does it drain??
s

My 997 cab is still draining in a way I'm sure it's not mean to. If I pour water into this slot:

It drains from just behind the front wheel, where there is a grommet in the bodywork:

Any suggestions what to check??

Last edited by mph070770; 11-02-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:09 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mph070770
So does anyone know the purpose of the corrugated pipe? It looks like it's half way up the body so what does it drain??
s

My 997 cab is still draining in a way I'm sure it's not mean to. If I pour water into this slot:

It drains from just behind the front wheel, where there is a grommet in the bodywork:

Any suggestions what to check??
The top of the pipe is the drain for the pan directly above it. The other end should terminate just behind the rear speakers into a catch tray that drains to a spot in the wheel arch just in front of the rear wheels.

That's on a 996. I presume it's the same.

Quick Reply: My Eureka moment with water drains in our 996 cabs