Sponsored by:

Conti's N1 or N2

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 01:37 AM
musicmovesme
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conti's N1 or N2

Ok need some help here. I need to replace the rears on my 2000 C2. I have the conti sport contact's N1 on my car now. I ordered some new tires from discount tire and they told me oh sure we can order those for you. I went in today to have them put on and the side wall read sport contact II N2. The guy at discount told me that if I was doing normal driving and not tracking it that there was no difference. Is this true? I guess the N1's are more exspensive which I don't care about but just want to be sure. Thanks
Old 10-04-2003, 05:16 AM
wilam
Instructor

I'm not an expert on this matter but I can tell you that I replaced my Conti N1's with the exact same tire on the advice of my PCNA rep. I waited a little longer for the tire to come in but the rep was paying for them and he insisted that I had to have the exact same tire. I assume there would be some potential liability issue if they gave me N2's. I do not know the exact reason but I think you should get the N1's to match up with the front tires. Afterall, you have a $90k+ car so why bother taking the risk?
Old 10-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Contact II's are a better tire

Read the TireRack reviews and do a search on this website. They are not the same tire at all! The CII's are better by far than the CI's. Ideally you should change all 4 tires, or find some CI's
Old 10-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Juan
Instructor

Aren't conti's too noisy after a few miles??
Old 10-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Still quieter than Pirelli's even after miles!

Originally posted by Juan
Aren't conti's too noisy after a few miles??
Old 10-04-2003, 11:10 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Ditto what Le Chef said ....

My Conti's have been extremely quiet from day 1 .... over 7k miles now and still good.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Fluke996
Intermediate

Smile

I've had the Conti I's on the front for a couple of years, (ever since I changed my stock 17's to 18's). I went through two set of rear Conti 1's every 7,000 miles. This year I decided to put on the Conti II's on the rear because they have a higher wear rating. The compound is a bit stiffer so they wear a bit longer but you give up a little "grippiness". Unless you track you won't be able to tell the diffenrence! I have the sport suspension and drive aggressively. I think Discount tire was shooting straight with you and would go ahead and have the Conti II's mounted. As far as noise is concerned they are much better than the Pirellis I had originally.All tires will get noiser as their tread wears, the Conti's aren't bad though.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:42 PM
wilam
Instructor

Originally posted by Fluke996
I've had the Conti I's on the front for a couple of years, (ever since I changed my stock 17's to 18's). I went through two set of rear Conti 1's every 7,000 miles. This year I decided to put on the Conti II's on the rear because they have a higher wear rating. The compound is a bit stiffer so they wear a bit longer but you give up a little "grippiness". Unless you track you won't be able to tell the diffenrence! I have the sport suspension and drive aggressively. I think Discount tire was shooting straight with you and would go ahead and have the Conti II's mounted. As far as noise is concerned they are much better than the Pirellis I had originally.All tires will get noiser as their tread wears, the Conti's aren't bad though.
The original post is asking about the "N" ratings, N1 or N2 and not regarding the Conti 1 or Conti 2.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Fluke996
Intermediate

N1 is just an earlier rating (in time) than an N2. They have been rated and tested by Porsche, just as a N4 is newer than an N3 rating.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:03 AM
SPR
Drifting

get rid of either contis and go for the sticky. contis have a really high tread wear rating and subsequently don't handle that well. I would check into the new pilot sport sp2's or whatever personally or the pirelli p zeros. Also stay away from so3's as like the contis they are very very heavy. unsprung weight is a killer.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:23 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Talking i like conti sport contact 2's much better than pirelli p zero's

customer service for pirelli's also sucks! they refused to replace a defective snow tire forcing me to get 4 new tires. it will be a cold day in hell when i ever buy another damn pirelli tire!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:03 PM
musicmovesme
Advanced

Thanks for everyones response. So if I understand fluke996 correctly the n2's are different but if I'm not tracking the car which I'm not. I won't notice a difference. Will the car tend to break loose a little easier? I'm just trying to understand. Thanks

Quick Reply: Conti's N1 or N2