996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Durametric Communication Problem on K-Line 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:22 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Oh crap. I missed that post. That's really good info. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:00 AM
yann986
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Btw, I think you need do the test again with the ignition ON in case the K-line is shorted to a switched 12v.
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that I confirmed with the ignition ON.
Same voltage (1v), then my K line 2 is definitively in good shape.

Now the journey continue... to turn this air bag light off...
My mechanic call me back, he got new readers... I will perhaps let him a chance ... before I do a more radical solution to resolve my air bag light issue...

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:40 PM
yann986
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yann986
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that I confirmed with the ignition ON.
Same voltage (1v), then my K line 2 is definitively in good shape.

Now the journey continue... to turn this air bag light off...
My mechanic call me back, he got new readers... I will perhaps let him a chance ... before I do a more radical solution to resolve my air bag light issue...

Thank you.
Hi Guys,

Update:
My mechanic was finally able to read the airbag module. He did not really know why. Perhaps because I changed the SRS.
Anyway, he told me he cleared errors codes, give me my safety check, and chargerged me, of course :-)

Cleared code were:
Air bag light is on (01), Ignition driver (21), ignition circuit side airbag driver (29), Ignition circuit airbag (31), Driver belt buckle fault (45), Passenger belt bucket fault (49).
I dont why all these codes, perhaps because of my "new" used SRS module?

But the thing is: the air light is again ON...! :evil grin:
Then he cleared it, but did not check after... if the light will come back on.

This story is not done and I don't know which code is causing the light ON... return to the beginning. (except that I have my safety check :-).
I will see if my chinese cheap kiwis cable will help me to have codes...

But no error code with my standard ODB2 reader.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kderry

^^^ this person. I must track them down and kiss them!

So it went something like this. I emailed Durametric and asked for what turned out to the the Gen 2 cable. Instead they sent me a beta firmware update for my existing cable. I tried the update, no Bueno. They then told me it must be my car. I reminded them that I have two identical cars and it didn't work on either of them.

So again o asked for a Gen2 cable. So they sent me a new cable. I tried it, no Bueno. So i asked them if they had just sent me another new Gen3 cable? "Umm, yes. But we are sure it is a problem with your car." This is where I got very frustrated and informed reminded them that I had two cars and an entire thread of posts from people that were having no the same issue and that you had blamed it on their car.

OK. We'll send you a Gen2 cable. And it worked. It worked it worked it worked. I now have access to ALL modules, including air bags. Yippee!

When I get back in town I'm supposed to pull log files for both cables and send them the results. Hopefully they will be able to figure out the issue and fix the Gen3 with a legitimate firmware update. Stay tuned.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
OK. We'll send you a Gen2 cable. And it worked. It worked it worked it worked. I now have access to ALL modules, including air bags. Yippee!

When I get back in town I'm supposed to pull log files for both cables and send them the results. Hopefully they will be able to figure out the issue and fix the Gen3 with a legitimate firmware update. Stay tuned.
Glad it worked for you, but no way am I giving them any more business. They must clearly know the issues with the '99 and yet they kept blaming it on the car despite all evidence to the contrary. They wasted a lot of my time and $ trying to get that issue sorted.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Glad it worked for you, but no way am I giving them any more business. They must clearly know the issues with the '99 and yet they kept blaming it on the car despite all evidence to the contrary. They wasted a lot of my time and $ trying to get that issue sorted.
I agree with everything you are saying. But I am going to ignore it until tomorrow and continue enjoying the fact that it finally works. Lol.

But in all seriousness, the way they have handled it is really lame.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:29 AM
yann986
Intermediate

FYI guys, I finally bought a real Duramtetric cable on eBay.
And now, I can read correctly everything. What a pleasure! Then that confirm that my lines were OK, and my mechanic guys not as good with Porsche as he said... And Chinese fake Porsche cables very bad...

Then here the error code from the airbag module (I have only this code), related to my Airbag light issue, I guess:
Belt buckle, driver

Then I am looking to buy a new belt buckle... I am hesitate to buy a used one... but as it is for safety and it is know that the 986 have connection issue with the buckle... I think I will go with a brand new one.

I hope this will finally clear this airbag light! :-)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:42 PM
kderry
Advanced

^^^ this person. I must track them down and kiss them!
That's me (aka "particlewave"). You can have a kiss, but I don't do tongue on the first date.

I'm glad Durametric is acknowledging this more, but they need to come right out and say it. Maybe make model/year entry specific to the ordering process so that they can provide the appropriate cable/firmware.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:19 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My enthusiast Durametric works with my Windows 7 on a POS laptop and my '99 C2. No issues.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

The gen2's work fine. The gen3 cables are the ones that had problems. When did you get it?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gen2's work fine. The gen3 cables are the ones that had problems. When did you get it?
Old 10-10-2016, 02:46 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Most likely a gen2
Old 10-12-2016, 09:14 PM
yann986
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yann986
FYI guys, I finally bought a real Duramtetric cable on eBay.
And now, I can read correctly everything. What a pleasure! Then that confirm that my lines were OK, and my mechanic guys not as good with Porsche as he said... And Chinese fake Porsche cables very bad...

Then here the error code from the airbag module (I have only this code), related to my Airbag light issue, I guess:
Belt buckle, driver

Then I am looking to buy a new belt buckle... I am hesitate to buy a used one... but as it is for safety and it is know that the 986 have connection issue with the buckle... I think I will go with a brand new one.

I hope this will finally clear this airbag light! :-)

FYI, I changed the driver seat belt buckle. (with a used one)
And I cleared airbag codes with Durametric cable.
AirBag light gone!!! Finally!
tested multiple time, still OK, no more error code.

This is the end of my journey to resolve this airbag light!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Taffy Flynn
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish i had found this thread before i started pulling my hair out trying to get my durametric to work on my 99 996 CAB. Can connect fine to the tiptronic and DME but nothing else, so as above K1 ok, K2 not ok.
Worked fine on PIWIS 2, cable worked on a 996 previously a few years back so seems like i am out of luck.

No one worked out a hack for the cable to get it too work?

Quick Reply: Durametric Communication Problem on K-Line 2