996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Durametric Communication Problem on K-Line 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:21 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

This thread is very interesting to me. I've considered buying a durametric package (enthusiast) since I got my car ('99 C4) about a year and a half ago. Fortunately, I haven't had the need for it up to this point. It's not that $300 is a crazy amount of money to lay out for a useful tool - in fact, if said product works as advertised, it's a downright bargain. Then again, if said product doesn't work as advertised (as so many software based products don't) it's only natural to feel like you've been ripped off. I won't be ordering a Durametric unless there's some sort of positive resolution to this issue.

** I'd like to see a poll of users with '99 996's who have full functionality of the software
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm hoping mine will work on my 99 C4, because I have the airbag out right now and had to run the car so the light is on. When I get the steering wheel back and connect it up, I will let you know.

I normally would think that it would work, but considering the C4 had drive by wire vs. a throttle cable and mine is a very late 99 build, I'm optimistic.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

It'll be good to know Paul - Thx ! BTW, do you keep your Durametric close to your microscope?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Daviebrown
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 99 C4 conects to airbag Iff I select 993 as the vehicle, it connects to dme and tiptronic also but sometimes gives the message "module failed to respond, Abs/Psm appears to connect but shows no fault even when I know for sure there is one.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I have verified that my durametric works on my 99 airbag module....but that's because I'm guessing it's a C4 and does have the drive by wire vs. throttle cable, it is probably more like a 2000 vs. a 99.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:55 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

I've got a 99 C2 and have the same issues as the OP. Tried two different cables and two laptops, all with the same result: it connects to the engine module and nothing else. Very disappointing. I may check the grounding of the pins as described, though at this point I'm inclined to send it back for a refund.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:52 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Yesterday I took my car to a local shop and they had no problems connecting to, and resetting, my airbag module with their durametric cable. I guess that's the difference between the professional vs enthusiast model? At any rate, I'm going to send mine back because it's of little use to me if I can only connect to the engine module.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:04 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it is established that it works for Pro cables but not for Enthusiast, Durametric should fess up and exchange the cables for free for 99 owners.
Just sayin ...!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:48 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pro cable does NOT work, I've use two different pro cables and neither would work. So the problem isn't with the pro vs enthusiast cable. The problem is they don't work on the 99, I will say I only tried it on one laptop, I'm going to try on my buddies laptop which is a top of the line and would crush 99% of the desktops out there when compared to computing powered to see if that makes a difference.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m3driver
The pro cable does NOT work, I've use two different pro cables and neither would work. So the problem isn't with the pro vs enthusiast cable. The problem is they don't work on the 99, I will say I only tried it on one laptop, I'm going to try on my buddies laptop which is a top of the line and would crush 99% of the desktops out there when compared to computing powered to see if that makes a difference.
Well, the shop yesterday had no issues using their durametric on my 99. With my cable, I tried two laptops and two cables (durametric sent me an extra to try), and it didn't work in any combination (other than the engine module). Needless to say, it's all going back to durametric for a refund.

At least the shop was decent enough to only ask for a 'donation to the coffee fund' for the 5min they spent on it.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:26 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Well, the shop yesterday had no issues using their durametric on my 99. With my cable, I tried two laptops and two cables (durametric sent me an extra to try), and it didn't work in any combination (other than the engine module). Needless to say, it's all going back to durametric for a refund.

At least the shop was decent enough to only ask for a 'donation to the coffee fund' for the 5min they spent on it.
I couldn't get them to work on mine, durametric kept saying it was a problem with my car, which I knew there wasn't as it was just in the shop a month prior and they had no trouble scanning it. My solution was to take it to the dealer and within 5 minutes my airbag light was off, $75 lighter I was on my way. As it remains I am durametric free, as I've sold my cable, which coincidently works fine (non 99) to the guy I sold it to.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:58 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

The OBD connector is equpped with several pins/lines for communication. The most important are the L and K lines, these are serial communication wires. The L line is mostly used for sending an addressed wake-up signal for before starting the communication on the K bus. The Porsche 993 (95-) and 996 have two K lines, on OBD pin 7 and 3. In the 993 these were called K' (K "marked") and K, and in the 996 they are called K1 and K2.
In the 993, pins 3 and 7 are interconnected in the OBD tool in order to communicate with all OBD-enabled units.
This might also be possible in the 996, it could be an idea to try to interconnect pin 3 and 7 if this isn't already done inside the OBD tool. However, I have no experience with this and don't know if this is good or not.

By the way, there is no diagnostic connection to the Litronic headlights. The only control unit that might be a a candidate is the automatic level adjustment circuit, but this is a stand-alone system.

Cheers,
Tore
The following users liked this post:
Gdjsk (03-15-2023)
Old 04-29-2016, 02:23 PM
jdudjak
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 C2 Airbag module reset with PIWIS, not Durametric

Hi folks, I posted earlier that I purchased a durametric cable and it would not communicate with the airbag module. I emailed Durametric and they stated there was a problem with my K2 bus.
Well to prove there is nothing wrong with the K2 bus, I just went to my porsche mechanic and he had no problem resetting my airbag module with PIWIS proving there is nothing wrong with the K2 bus. Don't believe Durametric's advice to you that there is something wrong with your car and not their cable.
It is conclusive, Durametric does not work with a 99 C2 996. Don't buy it if you own a '99. I have a durametric for sale if anyone needs one.

Last edited by jdudjak; 04-29-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:31 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Good info. Bummed about the airbag.

Although I have to admit that in true tiger dad fashion I carry my Durametric and surface2 with me in my 99 C2 everywhere I go.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

I've got a C4 so maybe it'll work with mine...I just hate "gambling" on software...

Quick Reply: Durametric Communication Problem on K-Line 2