996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Head unit interfering with alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Zish
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit interfering with alarm?

Hi everyone, i've just installed a Kenwood head unit in place of my CR22 tape deck. It all seemed to go smoothly, but when I came to lock the car, the horn gave a short chirp and the alarm LED is giving double flashes. I've checked that everthing interior and exterior is fully closed but no joy. I then disconnected the new head unit and suprise suprise the alarm seems to be back to normal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When they installed the the new head unit they did not reconnect the alarm wire to the new head. If that is not possible, then I believe it needs to be connected to chassis ground.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To follow up on what Loren said, this is a common complaint when an aftermarket radio is put in.

If you look at your Becker you will see a small plastic sticker on the metal housing. There is an alarm contact for when someone tries to remove the radio. The metal contact is on the plastic when the radio is seated. When the radio slides out the contact is off the plastic and on the metal housing - causing the alarm to go off.

Your new radio does not have this plastic insulator so the alarm contact is touching the metal housing. When you set the alarm it chirps to let you know something is wrong.

Pull the radio and disconnect the wire to the alarm contact and cover the end of the wire with tape.

You can see the single alarm wire just to the left of the black connector. Jeff

Old 10-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Zish
AutoX

Thanks a lot guys, you've been a great help.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:00 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
To follow up on what Loren said, this is a common complaint when an aftermarket radio is put in.

If you look at your Becker you will see a small plastic sticker on the metal housing. There is an alarm contact for when someone tries to remove the radio. The metal contact is on the plastic when the radio is seated. When the radio slides out the contact is off the plastic and on the metal housing - causing the alarm to go off.

Your new radio does not have this plastic insulator so the alarm contact is touching the metal housing. When you set the alarm it chirps to let you know something is wrong.

Pull the radio and disconnect the wire to the alarm contact and cover the end of the wire with tape.

You can see the single alarm wire just to the left of the black connector. Jeff

I know this is an ancient thread, but need info on how to disable the radio alarm which is causing a horn beep on locking, and the picture is missing.

Anyone have a picture or description of the wire, and clarity on weather it needs to be grounded or insulated? MY 2001.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:34 AM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Pop off the three switch panel to the left of the radio. You will see a brown wire hooked up. Just remove that and tape it off. You don't even have to take out the aftermarket radio.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:57 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Dion Houng-Lee
Pop off the three switch panel to the left of the radio. You will see a brown wire hooked up. Just remove that and tape it off. You don't even have to take out the aftermarket radio.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:05 PM
silver9962002
Advanced

Revival, on my 996, 2003 it is a blue, brown wire if that helps anyone. My central lock works now, but the alarm still beeps when I lock it. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot? I have replaced both door lock mechanisms.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2024, 12:26 PM
pdf911
2nd Gear

Default Picture of blue brown wire alarm radio

This little brown blue wire was hard to find but disconnected and alarm seems to work again and not making fault beep fingered crossed

Quick Reply: Head unit interfering with alarm?