Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why the 996 is better than the 993.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

... In some circles, they say those with the manliest cars have the smallest winkies and trying to compensate. That's why my DD is a Prius!
Old 11-13-2015, 03:42 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Oh, you have both a 993tt AND a 997TT. Well, that settles it. You definitely have a bigger ***** than me.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
this is a pretty well known thing, no?
Well, I just noticed that your real name is "Oliver", so I take it back.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Cmon bruh. No one is ******* the 996 TT or 996 GT3. All the problems are with the M96 NA powered 996's. The stock engine was/is a complete disaster of thrown together, mismatched, low dollar scrap iron that needs mods just to survive mild driving, much less any track use. What is so hard to understand about this?

Surely the class action lawsuit convinced even the diehard M96 lovers that Porsche just totally f#@$%$ up the design?
I got 134k km on my m96, half of those were done on the track. Used as a daily driver in Canadian winters. #4 shows signs of scoring and the engine taps but it still pulls and loves it at red line. My IMS was perfect when I replaced it.
the m97 997 engine is the same design and it is no better. Yes their are more durable engines out there but I think the main issue in durability is the use of lokasil liners.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

IMO Best looking wingless 911 is by far the 996 C4S. When looking at the new 911's since, it looks like it will remain so. The 997.1 GT3RS is by far the best looking 911 ever, with a close second being the 930.
993 has a nice rear end and has a great engine sound, the wide body C2S and C4S have incredible nice looking hips.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The prettiest in my opinion is a track modded guards red 996 TT. I'm not kidding either.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
loves it at red line.
how do you know the engine loves it at redline? does it talk to you? send notes? smoke signals (with your oil burning, this may be likely)
Old 11-13-2015, 04:05 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

how do you know the engine loves it at redline? does it talk to you? send notes? smoke signals (with your oil burning, this may be likely)
It loves red line because I let it sit there for seconds at a time to listen to it. I expect it to blow but it never does just sings back to me. It burns more at idle on a cold start idle, but burns normally when being driven hard.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

It loves red line because I let it sit there for seconds at a time to listen to it. I expect it to blow but it never does just sings back to me. It burns more at idle on a cold start idle, but burns normally when being driven hard.
so in other words, it loves red line because it hasn't blown up yet?

I'm not sure that makes sense, but whatever you gotta tell yourself.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

so in other words, it loves red line because it hasn't blown up yet?

I'm not sure that makes sense, but whatever you gotta tell yourself.
makes sense to me, so that's all that matters.

btw I have a modified 996tt which none of your turbos will keep up to on a race track. You want to come over to play?
Old 11-13-2015, 04:28 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that's exactly how mine was also.

while idling, you could put your hand over the LHS tailpipe and watch the oil splash on your Palm. driving hard or long trips, not much oil was burnt at all. part of my testing was fill up at home, drive to Calaboguie, race it, drive home. that kind of driving would see the oil level Guage drop by a bar - if that.

here's a video of my C4S chasing a tesla and other cars at Calaboguie. my cyl 4 & 6 are toast in this vid, you've seen my engine build thread.

https://youtu.be/U65YkjOObRo

I really, really wanted to just keep adding oil and driving it but the internet scared me.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:45 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I got 134k km on my m96, half of those were done on the track.
And the engine is stock????

#4 shows signs of scoring and the engine taps
It burns more at idle on a cold start idle
Nice to see someone at least agrees with us and admits it.

I would assume you will also agree that the M96 NA is a POS compared to your TT engine?

What other mass produced engine has an admitted known failure rate of 10%? That's just the IMSB, not the other MOF's that also cause CEF. Even the forum poll stays at 9.5 to 10% IMSB failure rate.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:59 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The best looking factory made Porsche is a 1988 911 Carrera or Turbo. So all those 964, 993, and whatever else came after can suck it. 993 headlight / front end design sucks and nothing is going to change that. 996 (my car) headlights suck even worse, but I don't pretend they don't. Nobody, nobody gave a damn about 964s when they came out. The headlights are on point but overall the other body design changes suck. Most 911 people hated the bumper/body updates and they still suck today. The ONLY REASON 964s are extremely valuable now is not for what they ARE but instead for what they can be when sent to Singer Vehicle Design plus $400,000 . Singer single-handedly made the 964 valuable, before that no one gave a sheet about that car. So, to recap, if you don't own a pristine 1988 Carrera or Turbo your Porsche sucks and is not a real Porsche it's just a factory mistake. Two things I did in my 996 today: I took it over 100 mph on some open road. Then I stopped for some breakfast. It was a small cafe with maybe 8 tables. Another guy in an Audi R8 pulls in comes inside the shop and says "Who's got the Porsche?" I say, "That's me." He says, "That's a nice car. I used to have a 928." Don't worry, I let him know it's not a real Porsche, can't be driven on a track, won't last 15,000 miles before blowing up, headlights don't work, and it cost less than a cup of coffee.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:05 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No one is agreeing with you. He is stating facts. He has scored cylinders, yet he is still driving it and it still works fine

You on the other hand state hyperbole and spread misinformation because you never had a single real problem with your car.

At least Quad knows how to be entertaining with his trolling and can be humorous at times. You're just the idiot outcast that everyone wishes would just go away.

I figured it would take a couple of weeks for the sting of Jake pointing out that you don't know all that you think you do (twice even) to abate and we'd have a bit of respite. Oh well...
Old 11-13-2015, 05:11 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

And the engine is stock????

I would assume you will also agree that the M96 NA is a POS compared to your TT engine?

What other mass produced engine has an admitted known failure rate of 10%? That's just the IMSB, not the other MOF's that also cause CEF. Even the forum poll stays at 9.5 to 10% IMSB failure rate.
The engine is stock, few bolts on added and giac tune.

I wouldn't call it POS considering the type of usage its done, I expected more from it given Porsche's racing heritage and I'll likely end of like AWDguy and fix it before it does go. I assume many other things are wearing out in it any ways so a refresh is also needed.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:18 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
that's exactly how mine was also.

while idling, you could put your hand over the LHS tailpipe and watch the oil splash on your Palm. driving hard or long trips, not much oil was burnt at all. part of my testing was fill up at home, drive to Calaboguie, race it, drive home. that kind of driving would see the oil level Guage drop by a bar - if that.

here's a video of my C4S chasing a tesla and other cars at Calaboguie. my cyl 4 & 6 are toast in this vid, you've seen my engine build thread.

https://youtu.be/U65YkjOObRo

I really, really wanted to just keep adding oil and driving it but the internet scared me.
Also theirs another gta 4S also doing the same thing and just driving it.

Love Calabogie, my C4S their. It also did a lot of back to back run sessions as my wife and I shared the car in different run groups. It did get a lot of track time. One endurance session I ran the whole tank of gas out, drive to fill up and drove straight back on track again for a total of 3 hours I believe. Crazy fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why the 996 is better than the 993.