What to Expect: My First 996 C2 Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 04:09 PM
kstarr719
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to Expect: My First 996 C2 Winter

Hey folks,

I'd love to get some feedback on what to expect with my 996 this winter. No PSM. Buying a set of 17's with Yokohama Iceguards on them. I'm not an idiot when it comes to winter driving. I know how to take it nice and easy. I guess, I'd just like to hear the experience of others so that I have an idea of what my baby is going to be like on a wintry day (should I need to venture/get caught out). Thanks!
Old 10-31-2015, 04:52 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Mine was a C4, but the conventional wisdom is that the awd doesn't make a big difference in winter driving - it's more of a dry road high performance thing.
I drove mine in light snow conditions with all-season tires and it did great. I now have a different car but doubt that I will take the 996tt out in the snow simply because I don't want to buy another set of wheels and tires this year.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 10-31-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:16 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a C4 also, with Conti DWS (really just all-season tires), and it did fine the few times I ventured out on snow covered roads.
With true snow tires I think you will do about as well as a typical FWD sedan with snows, although without PSM you will need to watch how far you let the rear end get out of line.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

No 996 experience in the snow other than with my 996 Turbo and on summer tires. I've had my Boxster in the snow a few times with summer tires, too.

You are wise to put real snow tires on your car. I was dumb and lucky I got away with what I did.

For the Boxster I added some sand bags in the front and rear trunk. The car's pretty light. Also, I wanted some sand just in case I got stuck.

I added a good quality nylon tow strap with u-bolts to connect the strap to the tow bolt eye in either the front or rear of the car in case I ended up in a snow bank and had to be towed out. Never had to use this.

Under some conditions the side windows can freeze up and refuse to drop when you open the door. This is bad enough but if you are not paying attention when you go to close the door there can be a heck of a bang as the glass hits the top, at least this was the case with my Boxster.

If you spot the window failing to drop do not close the door but from inside the car push the window down button and at the same time gently push down on the window. It shouldn't take hardly any force to get it to move. If you need to you can wiggle the glass a bit to break the grip of the ice at where the window enters the door.

Once the window goes down -- and up again -- under manual control close the door then raise the window manually.

Be sure the wipers are good. Be sure to fill the washer tank with good quality washer fluid that won't freeze. Gas stations where I lived -- just east of KC MO -- would store 1 gallon jugs of washer fluid outside in the cold weather. After a day or two of particularly cold weather I'd grab a couple of jugs and pick those with no ice in them.

Be sure the radiator ducts are clean and free of trash and dirt. Ditto the body water drains.

Remember when you park the car heat will cause any slush under the wheel wells to melt and this melt water -- a mix of water, salt and grit -- will drip down on the wheels/brakes. When you get back in the car be sure to use the brakes some without bringing the car to a stop to dry and clean the rust off the rotors. If you fail to do this and have to use the brakes for an emergency stop pad material can transfer from the pads to the rotors and remain on the rotors and cause pulsing brakes afterwards.

Whenever the temperature gets above freezing visit a DIY car wash and with the rinse setting rinse the car down and remove any build up of ice/slush from anywhere on or under the car.

In one case after a long -- hours long -- drive through a bad snowstorm in my Boxster when I finally managed to get through the worst of it and far enough out of the storm to pull off the road without fear of getting stuck -- summer tires don't you know -- I found a car wash and spent I don't know how much money in quarters running the carwash and removing the build up snow/slush. The stuff was built up -- make that built down -- to the point there was barely any clearance between the tires and the ice/slush, the radiator ducts were nearly full, and the area where the front windshield and cowl joined was so built up hardly any air was getting into the cabin. I had driven through a horrific snow storm with some areas in which I drove through receiving nearly 12" of snow. This and the fact my car was a constant target of snow/slush thrown up by the big rig in front of me -- the driver told me his rig was empty and he was having to really take it easy too -- had my Boxster looking like a dirty snowball.

The heater I found is just fine provided snow/slush doesn't collect to the point air flow into the cabin is blocked. Had I snow tires on the car I would have pulled off long before this happened and removed the stuff but had I pulled off I would have been in unplowed snow and I would have been stuck/stranded.

In the case of my Boxster the top sheds snow and dries pretty quick and the same goes for the rear plastic window.

What else? Watch out for chunks of frozen slush in the road. Also watch out for road kill. Any dead animal will turn into a froze solid lump. Catch one of these wrong and you can bust a radiator or worse.

And watch out for when driving down the road the wind lifting a sheet of ice/frozen snow off the vehicle ahead. You don't want to let one of these flying icebergs hit your car if you can safely avoid it.

Last but not least my experience is most people drive like idiots in bad weather. (And good weather and every kind of weather in between...). You got to ever more so watch out of the other guy.

In bad weather I slow way down and try to give myself plenty of room to deal with the idiots who will spin out in front of one, or brake and slide into one's lane, or slide through an intersection right into one's path. You name it, it will happen.

In this same vein watch where you park the car. Youtube is full of videos of cars sliding down a hill into parked cars or even climbing the curb and sliding over the frozen ground and slamming into a car parked in a driveway.

Watch out too after the storm after the roads get clear. Spots of the road will get snow melt water and then at night freeze up and be very slick. This catches more drivers by surprise than you might think. And watch out for shaded roads. Some years ago on a trip coming back home back west I ran into a snow/ice storm and pulled off the road at Shamrock TX. Spent the night in a hotel. The next day the freeway will still icy -- TX road crews believe God put the snow/ice on the freeway and only God can take it off -- so I avoided the freeway and went through town heading south. Just a few miles down the road I was out of the nastiness. (Oh at the time I was in my 2006 GTO with, you guessed it, summer tires.) Found a road heading west towards Amarillo but even though the sky was clear and the sun out where leafless trees shaded the roadway there was still some frost on the road surface.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Tires make all the difference. The 996 AWD system doesn't offer much in winter conditions. You'll enjoy driving your Porsche in snow and slush.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:51 AM
kstarr719
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Tires make all the difference. The 996 AWD system doesn't offer much in winter conditions. You'll enjoy driving your Porsche in snow and slush.
That's what I am kind of hoping. I think back to the Jalopnik video of the Subaru Forester with All-Seasons versus a BMW M3 with Snows on a icy Chicago hill. The M3 made mince-meat out of the Subaru. Really hit on how important tires are in the bad stuff.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

IMHO. If you have to drive out in the snow or ice, take another car. Leave your Porsche in the garage. There are 101 reasons 'why not' as Mactser pointed out. If you don't really value your Porsche then go ahead and run the gauntlet of 'what could happen scenarios'.. You may not be an idiot but there are thousands of so called good drivers out there that are. The 2 photos of a Porsche car doing figure eights and drifting on an EMPTY car park says nothing at all of how the car or you will handle a bad situation on the roads.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:35 AM
kstarr719
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
IMHO. If you have to drive out in the snow or ice, take another car. Leave your Porsche in the garage. There are 101 reasons 'why not' as Mactser pointed out. If you don't really value your Porsche then go ahead and run the gauntlet of 'what could happen scenarios'.. You may not be an idiot but there are thousands of so called good drivers out there that are. The 2 photos of a Porsche car doing figure eights and drifting on an EMPTY car park says nothing at all of how the car or you will handle a bad situation on the roads.
I appreciate the honesty. We have an S3 - or should I say, my wife has one - that I'll usually take on the days I need to venture out. The snows are really precautionary for when I absolutely, positively have to go out, and so does the wife. They're also for the proceeding days/nights after a storm.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I said in another threat, I drive my car the whole winter, and I don't change the tires. !!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kstarr719
That's what I am kind of hoping. I think back to the Jalopnik video of the Subaru Forester with All-Seasons versus a BMW M3 with Snows on a icy Chicago hill. The M3 made mince-meat out of the Subaru. Really hit on how important tires are in the bad stuff.
The weight of the engine over the drive wheels helps with traction too.

There are some good videos on the Tire Rack website that show the differences. Proper winter tires simply perform better that all-seasons in winter conditions. Summer tires are dangerous in winter conditions.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I live in S. Carolina, but got caught this past February in Pennsylvania with my summer Sumitomos, worn about halfway down. Not fun!

Had to go about 50 more miles when it started accumulating quickly. I grew up in the stuff, so at first I wasn't worried, but my rear tires had almost no traction, and had a penchant for breaking loose VERY easily. Found myself sideways 4 times, and how I didn't end up in a ditch still amazes me. I'm sure I'd have been fine with proper tires. Won't make that mistake again!
Old 11-01-2015, 10:40 AM
kstarr719
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The weight of the engine over the drive wheels helps with traction too. There are some good videos on the Tire Rack website that show the differences. Proper winter tires simply perform better that all-seasons in winter conditions. Summer tires are dangerous in winter conditions.
Just watched the TR videos. Though it is not representative of real world conditions in my neck of the woods, the ice rink challenge was great.

Definitely going to spring for the 17" wheels with dedicated snows. Justification for the wife are the TR videos.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've seen the difference in action. I live in the mountains, so things tend to get pretty nasty up here in the winter. When we still had our Cayenne S, I ran an all-season tire (Continental ExtremeContact DWS) as the summer tire and a dedicated winter tire (Michelin Latitude Alpin) in the winter. Once year we had a big snow storm in September and I still had the all-seasons on the Cayenne. My wife couldn't get the car up the driveway with the all-season tires; the Cayenne was down at the bottom of the hill with all four wheels spinning. Once I switched to proper winter tires, the Cayenne could drive up the driveway like it was dry.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Turkertwo
Instructor

I have used Mich Alpins and now Mich all season tires on the stock 17 inch wheels. I enjoy winter driving on dry and wet/snowy roads, since these types of tires provide less grip in all conditions than summer tires do. And that allows you to experience the feeling of driving a more vintage Porsche model which moves around a lot on their skinnier tires and stiffer suspensions. I think an autocross series where everyone has to use Pep Boys full depth snow tires on stock-width wheels would be really fun. Kind of a spec racing series as tires (even bad ones) are great equalizers.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That's a great idea. I suppose that we try to replicate that every January. Our local Porsche club hosts and event called Eiskhana every year. It's essentially an autocross on a frozen lake.

Quick Reply: What to Expect: My First 996 C2 Winter