Any way to determine whether IMS has been changed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 AM
The car-nut
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to determine whether IMS has been changed

Hello!
I am about to purchase a 2001 996 c4. The current owner claims that the previous owner had replaced the IMS, when the clutch was replaced; however, he does not have any factual evidence.

Is there any way by which one could determine whether the IMS has indeed been replaced?

Cheers,
The Car-nut
Old 10-27-2015, 09:27 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not without documentation. Treat it as if the replacement hasn't been done.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:28 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

My understanding is that if it was replaced with a LN bearing there might be a sticker affixed somewhere - like near the bellhousing area and/or in the door jam?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
My understanding is that if it was replaced with a LN bearing there might be a sticker affixed somewhere - like near the bellhousing area and/or in the door jam?
Like gnat said.....no documentation it did not happen. No sticker......no happen.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:20 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
That's only if it was replaced with an LN bearing AND the sticker was put on the car (my Indy didn't and I still haven't gotten around to it myself).

I guess you could try calling LN with the VIN and see if they can look it up to see if they had a warranty registration for it. I don't know if they'd do that or not though. Even that's not definitive in all cases though (I wanted to keep our original so LN knows nothing about our car).

Proving it is the seller's job though. If they can't prove it, then they can't legitimately negotiate on it's existence.

Edit: Even if it has the sticker, I still wouldn't trust it without contacting LN or accompanying paperwork. It's easy to make such stickers much cheaper than actually replacing the bearing (haven't heard any stories of that happening, I'm just that jaded).
Old 10-27-2015, 10:42 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't get so caught up on the IMS. A certain portion of the time, owners end up changing the IMS as a reactionary measure after it's too late and the engine starts to shed metal. I see so many peeps treat this as a security blanket, only to encounter issues down the road.

Some, like myself, would rather buy a virgin car. That way I know what I'm working with and no hidden variables. You can also just factor that into the overall price if you're inclined to change it out.

If you're looking at a ' 01 and are concerned about the IMS, you should also be concerned about cylinder head issues as '01 tend to have the most issues according to some sources.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM
mannn
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnat

I guess you could try calling LN with the VIN and see if they can look it up to see if they had a warranty registration for it. I don't know if they'd do that or not though. Even that's not definitive in all cases though (I wanted to keep our original so LN knows nothing about our car).
Make sure you call LN and not call Flat6..
Old 10-27-2015, 01:59 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Would an IMSB swap, or RMS/IMS flange seal work, show up on a Carfax if performed by a reputable dealership?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hollywood1053
Would an IMSB swap, or RMS/IMS flange seal work, show up on a Carfax if performed by a reputable dealership?
I wouldn't count on it. In fact I wouldn't count on CarFax for anything as I've seen far too many cases where information is missing or wrong. Most of that stuff is optionally reported and even the state mandated stuff (registrations, mileage, title status, etc..) can be wrong too.

I look at it as a decent tool to see how many owner's it's had and where it has spent it's life, but beyond that I don't see much value in it.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM
mannn
Instructor

if the accident happened and both party agreed to not go through insurance, nothing will show up in carfax
Old 10-27-2015, 03:50 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mannn
if the accident happened and both party agreed to not go through insurance, nothing will show up in carfax
I know of accidents that went through insurance and even had a police report that don't show up on the vehicle's CarFax.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:58 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I know of accidents that went through insurance and even had a police report that don't show up on the vehicle's CarFax.
+996

From comparing over a couple dozen reports side by side, you're better off going with Experian's Autocheck service these days. Not 100% fool proof but better in that it reports more data.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:36 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am about to purchase a 2001 996 c4. The current owner claims that the previous owner had replaced the IMS, when the clutch was replaced; however, he does not have any factual evidence.
Is there any way by which one could determine whether the IMS has indeed been replaced?
Your post does not state that the owner specified it was an LNE replacement. Maybe you could ask about it? There are many alternative bearings that will not have the LNE sticker. Are there receipts, photos, etc?
Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Are there receipts, photos, etc?
Originally Posted by The car-nut
however, he does not have any factual evidence.
You even quoted it yourself KK

Nada. As far as sale price considerations go it's as good as not done.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I had an LNE installed. No sticker. No one even told me that a sticker was available. I want a refund.

Quick Reply: Any way to determine whether IMS has been changed