Sponsored by:

Any way to determine whether IMS has been changed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I had an LNE installed. No sticker. No one even told me that a sticker was available.
Same here, but I have the invoice from the shop. Aside from that the only way to know for sure would be to drop the transmission and look at the flange/nut, as it differs visibly from the original.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I had an LNE installed. No sticker. No one even told me that a sticker was available. I want a refund.
So that's what happened! You used some cheap knockoff that didn't come with a sticker and your motor decided to teach you a lesson!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM
The car-nut
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks
Thanks very much for the feedback.

I will try calling LNE.

As for the carfax - I , personally, had an accident with my Beemer 11 years ago. The damage to my car was $17,400! In fact, the car was towed to the dealer, and went through the insurance, but no mention of it in the Carfax!

Cheers,
The Car-nut
Old 05-09-2019, 02:46 AM
Richard Baker
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISB

Originally Posted by gnat
Not without documentation. Treat it as if the replacement hasn't been done.
If you not sure you can pull the oil filter and check for metal particles - metal would indicate something is going on and figure it's a bad ISB. IF no metal figure and the engine is sound deduct $2000 to replace the ISB! If there is metal and runs good I'd walk or deduct $10000 for possible engine rebuild!!!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Baker
If you not sure you can pull the oil filter and check for metal particles - metal would indicate something is going on and figure it's a bad ISB. IF no metal figure and the engine is sound deduct $2000 to replace the ISB! If there is metal and runs good I'd walk or deduct $10000 for possible engine rebuild!!!!!

That's genius!
Oh and by the way, you just replied to a 4 year old dead IMSB thread...
Old 05-09-2019, 11:53 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Baker
Hold the car up to your ear and shake it. I you hear rattling, then you need to replace the ISB.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 808Bill
That's genius!
^^LOL
Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 PM
CYTH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
That's genius!
I was about to mention the same thing.

BUT. Someone may be wondering the same thing so I'll chime in.

One way to check and one way was SO close to being obvious. By now a lot of cars (including mine) has the LN Final Solution. This version has a spin on oil filter with the oil feed line. As we all are aware the OE arrangement is a cartridge filter in a plastic canister and no oil feed line.

So if there is no badge/sticker someplace in the motor compartment or paperwork (which I find doubtful if this job was performed...But who knows. Nothing surprises me.) All one has to do is look under the car and if the spin on is there with an oil feed line the job was done (with an LN FS). This could be for some other IMS kit but I'm not sure of the brand.

If you see an OE canister with cosmoline all over it. probably not.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:22 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by CYTH
I was about to mention the same thing.

BUT. Someone may be wondering the same thing so I'll chime in.

One way to check and one way was SO close to being obvious. By now a lot of cars (including mine) has the LN Final Solution. This version has a spin on oil filter with the oil feed line. As we all are aware the OE arrangement is a cartridge filter in a plastic canister and no oil feed line.

So if there is no badge/sticker someplace in the motor compartment or paperwork (which I find doubtful if this job was performed...But who knows. Nothing surprises me.) All one has to do is look under the car and if the spin on is there with an oil feed line the job was done (with an LN FS). This could be for some other IMS kit but I'm not sure of the brand.

If you see an OE canister with cosmoline all over it. probably not.
True - if the Solution was installed. This does not answer the original question if a Retrofit is installed.

My car has a label on the engine cover and the previous owner provided a receipt that leads me to believe the retrofit was installed. I checked the serial number on the label at the LNE website and it claims to be a double row bearing. Other than that, I have no way of knowing for sure without actually separating the engine and transmission and checking.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:07 PM
colnago1331
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

http://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/

You can put the last six of the VIN in here to see if anything comes up. However, there are some caveats. First - it only works if the owner or installer notified LN Engineering and gave them the serial number. And second - you can have multiple cars with the same last six, so even if you get a positive hit you have to check closely to make sure that it's the same year as the car you're asking about and that the mileage/date is consistent with the car you're asking about.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
Hold the car up to your ear and shake it. I you hear rattling, then you need to replace the ISB.
I was always told you could hear the ocean. Who knew?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

“LN Final Solution”...? Sounds ominous.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911
“LN Final Solution”...? Sounds ominous.
Much like reaching your final destination, when traveling by air.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM
CYTH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
True - if the Solution was installed. This does not answer the original question if a Retrofit is installed.

My car has a label on the engine cover and the previous owner provided a receipt that leads me to believe the retrofit was installed. I checked the serial number on the label at the LNE website and it claims to be a double row bearing. Other than that, I have no way of knowing for sure without actually separating the engine and transmission and checking.

I definitely second, your comment. IF the solution was installed.

In reality, the original comment is really only good for a "quick" glance to see if anything was performed. Either looking at a car one may be interested in prior to owner/dealer contact OR substantiating a claim of work performed. Next step is verification of VIN registration and paperwork.

Quick Reply: Any way to determine whether IMS has been changed