Sponsored by:

Opinions on this 996?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Mr-Black
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this 996?

I have been lurking here for about a year and finally made an account. This is my first post so forgive any missteps.

I am pretty versed on the ins and outs of the 996 as well as the 997. I've read some of the buying guides and have been reading lots of info throughout the forum.

I have found a 2002 that I am potentially buying and would like to solicit the members here for their opinions. Porsche maintenance costs and intervals is an informed factor and acceptable to me, so I'm looking more specifically for opinions on the actual car and not so much general ownership factors. Note that the car is not local to me so I have not seen it in person yet, but I want all my research done prior to a visit.

Here are the details on the car:

2002 Carrera Cabriolet
$17K
79K miles
Tip
Clean title
Full service records on hand
No apparent accidents or mechanical issues
RMS, IMS, Water pump, AOS replaced @ 50K miles (seller provided paperwork)

Going to get a PPI done @ the local Porsche of course and a thorough in person inspection since the car is not local to me. From what I can tell, the market value is somewhere around $23-25K, so of course I asked him why so low. Seller stated that he is needing money to close a real estate deal so trying to raise cash fast.

If everything checks out PPI, good deal? Comments/opinions and further questions welcomed.

Last edited by Mr-Black; 09-23-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Well, I'm always on high alert when someone under prices a car, for whatever reason.

Sure, you might encounter the rare car being sold by the widow of a scoundrel of a cheating husband with the proceeds earmarked for the grieving girlfriend but barring that rare as an albino unicorn scenario it is hard to believe someone would price the car thousands under its "market" price just for a quick sale.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One does not "sift" through service records to see if IMS has been replaced. Either it's done or it isn't. I have a feeling it's not done. Tip is always cheaper and even more so if critical maintenance is lacking.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

The tip probably drags down the value slightly, otherwise I think it is priced slightly below market value. Either he''s telling the truth and really wants a quick sale, or there are real or potential issues with the car. A thorough PPI should tell (expect to pay $400 to $500 for that, but it's money well spent IMO). Full service records adds value - go through these to check how well the car has been maintained. Many people here, including me, have bought their 996 unseen - it's not ideal, but it helps to have someone you trust look it over (check with Rennlisters in the area - they can be a very accommodating bunch). Good luck! Hope it works out for you - they are awesome cars.

Oh yea - you may want to run the Carfax as well.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Here's a great comparison for you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...era-2-19k.html
Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Mr-Black
7th Gear

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. Keep it coming
Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

In case you haven't seen this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...85k-miles.html

Also, I'm taking her in to have the preventive maintenance on the water pump, low temp thermostat, coolant flush, serpentine belt tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
In case you haven't seen this: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...85k-miles.html Also, I'm taking her in to have the preventive maintenance on the water pump, low temp thermostat, coolant flush, serpentine belt tomorrow.
I see you haven't updated the info to show that it has a salvage title now after you drove it in the rain the other day!

Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
I see you haven't updated the info to show that it has a salvage title now after you drove it in the rain the other day!

LOL. Yes. OP doesn't know yet that you are not supposed to drive it in the rain, use it as a daily driver, or take any long trip more than 50 miles on these.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rubik
In case you haven't seen this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...85k-miles.html

Also, I'm taking her in to have the preventive maintenance on the water pump, low temp thermostat, coolant flush, serpentine belt tomorrow.
Another beautiful 996 for sale at a very reasonable price!

I am also thinking about putting mine on the market, but I will be asking $27K for a low mileage 2004 996 C2 with lots of nice options. I am in BC, Canada, so I expect out of range for most US buyers (it is a US car, so no problems taking it across the border).
Old 09-23-2015, 10:30 PM
lahalte
Instructor

Looking at those wheels they seem to have quite a bit of curb rash.Mostly the front left upper.Could be the picture
Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Mr-Black
7th Gear

Yea something I was wondering as well. It would appear there is some rash on the rear driver side wheel, but again hard to tell because the quality of the pic is not all that great.

The front wheel is definitely a picture quality issue.

Originally Posted by lahalte
Looking at those wheels they seem to have quite a bit of curb rash.Mostly the front left upper.Could be the picture
Old 09-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Mr-Black
7th Gear

Seller faxed me service paperwork. IMS, RMS, AOS and the Waterpump were replaced @ 50K miles. Appears to have been done by the previous owner as he came into the car at 58K miles. He is an elderly gentlemen and says he takes his car to the dealer and wasn't gifted with mechanical know how.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:26 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you had the money to consider a 997, why you're going for the cheap option?
You should aim for a 996 Turbo or one with two owners well maintained, low miles 996.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 PM
Mr-Black
7th Gear

Not sure where it was read I had the money to consider a 997. The OP mentioned I had been reading up on both gens, maybe that did it?

Would love a turbo sure! In any case, could I spend more, sure, as one can almost always exponentially increase their spending. In this case, this is around what I want to spend for something I want, so I'm evaluating what's available that is congruent with where I am at currently.

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue
If you had the money to consider a 997, why you're going for the cheap option?
You should aim for a 996 Turbo or one with two owners well maintained, low miles 996.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this 996?