996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Center Console questions

Old 10-12-2021, 08:43 PM
jaxxon99
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Center Console questions

The center console on my 00 Carrera is not looking great, its a Savannah Beige interior and I'd like to have a new one.

Does anyone know if the plain black plastic one from Suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X6PC.html can be painted? or is the black plastic finish such that it will not take paint very well?

Or, does anyone know if the one they sell already painted here: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6CONSOLE.html is in the same soft touch rubberized paint as the original, or have they figured out another paint that won't have the issues of the soft touch paint?

Yes I know I can strip and refinish my original one, but thought one of these two options might end up a bit nicer. Any help appreciated!
Old 10-13-2021, 12:03 AM
RedTele
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

The first console you list can be painted. It also comes complete with all the extra pieces. I purchased the same console a couple months ago for a Boxster project I'm working on..

The second console comes with the soft touch finish. Also note - the extra pieces are NOT included and you'll be on a goose chase trying to find them.

Two options I'd suggest - first - get on eBay and find a good used console to be your test project. Just make sure it's not soft touch. A good auto paint shop can mix you spray cans that are factory color matches if you're wanting to match body color. Clean it up good, prime it, wet sand it, give it several coats letting them dry and wet sand between coats. Finish w/ clear coat. With care and effort you can have a very nice console.

If all that is a bit much - (no time, place, energy or talent - all legit reasons not to do it yourself), try Bumper Plugs. They aren't cheap, but do outstanding quality work.

Rear Center Console - 996/986 (bumperplugs.com)

Give some thought to finding one on eBay and seeing what you can do with some time/effort. This was the first "custom" project I tried on one of my Boxsters and it came out very nice. Maybe look around on YouTube for some videos - someone has done it, I'm sure. Once you can pull off a few smaller projects like this with success, it will add greatly to your confidence for other projects. It's fun, sometimes kind of frustrating, but a good feeling of satisfaction when you have it all together and looking good.
The following users liked this post:
Emefef (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:50 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

It's really not much work to sand and re-paint the one you have, I did this and have SB interior and it came out perfectly fine. Color Bond #1131 LVP refinisher.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billup:
amirra (10-14-2021), Cityfisher (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:25 AM
jaxxon99
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedTele
The first console you list can be painted. It also comes complete with all the extra pieces. I purchased the same console a couple months ago for a Boxster project I'm working on..

The second console comes with the soft touch finish. Also note - the extra pieces are NOT included and you'll be on a goose chase trying to find them.

Two options I'd suggest - first - get on eBay and find a good used console to be your test project. Just make sure it's not soft touch. A good auto paint shop can mix you spray cans that are factory color matches if you're wanting to match body color. Clean it up good, prime it, wet sand it, give it several coats letting them dry and wet sand between coats. Finish w/ clear coat. With care and effort you can have a very nice console.

If all that is a bit much - (no time, place, energy or talent - all legit reasons not to do it yourself), try Bumper Plugs. They aren't cheap, but do outstanding quality work.

Rear Center Console - 996/986 (bumperplugs.com)

Give some thought to finding one on eBay and seeing what you can do with some time/effort. This was the first "custom" project I tried on one of my Boxsters and it came out very nice. Maybe look around on YouTube for some videos - someone has done it, I'm sure. Once you can pull off a few smaller projects like this with success, it will add greatly to your confidence for other projects. It's fun, sometimes kind of frustrating, but a good feeling of satisfaction when you have it all together and looking good.
Originally Posted by Billup
It's really not much work to sand and re-paint the one you have, I did this and have SB interior and it came out perfectly fine. Color Bond #1131 LVP refinisher.
So it sounds like the best options are either to buy the first one and paint, or just redo mine and paint. The bumper plugs option is way too much $$. The ones I’ve seen on eBay are roughly the same cost of the new console from sun coast. @Billup do you have any pics of your console repainted in savannah beige with the LVP paint? I have that and was going to use it.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:38 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I have my original center console in black, would be happy to give it to you for shipping. You might want to paint it black, provides nice contrast to the interior. If you look at my interior upgrade thread, you will see my original one and a picture of the paint I used on the radio surround panel. Great paint, looks exactly the same years later. Here is my original one:

My thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-upgrades.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Waterloo:
Carlo D (10-13-2021), Flyfishnick (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 11:06 AM
jaxxon99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I have my original center console in black, would be happy to give it to you for shipping. You might want to paint it black, provides nice contrast to the interior. If you look at my interior upgrade thread, you will see my original one and a picture of the paint I used on the radio surround panel. Great paint, looks exactly the same years later. Here is my original one:

My thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-upgrades.html
@Paul Waterloo id definitely be interested in your old console. Can you DM me with your PayPal email and I’ll send what you need for $?

Old 10-13-2021, 11:19 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaxxon99
So it sounds like the best options are either to buy the first one and paint, or just redo mine and paint. The bumper plugs option is way too much $$. The ones I’ve seen on eBay are roughly the same cost of the new console from sun coast. @Billup do you have any pics of your console repainted in savannah beige with the LVP paint? I have that and was going to use it.
Yeah here are some pictures from one of the other threads few years ago. Still looks the same today. It wasn't in terrible condition, but I still did a rough and finish wet sand to make sure the surface was even so when you paint there are no dips or "pockets".

Old 10-13-2021, 11:46 AM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

that looks great!

Mine could use refinishing as well but its cinnamon. I have deviated carpets so I was thinking about just buying a black console, but if I could get those results with paint I might just go that route.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:07 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by work_truck
that looks great!

Mine could use refinishing as well but its cinnamon. I have deviated carpets so I was thinking about just buying a black console, but if I could get those results with paint I might just go that route.
Check with Color Bond, wouldn't be surprised if they have cinnamon code in LVP. Like painting anything, just have to be patient with the prep and make sure everything is smooth and that you have a clean space to spray.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:26 PM
jaxxon99
Advanced

This looks great! did you use the LVP paint for this?
Old 10-13-2021, 12:31 PM
rino924
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah that paint job looks incredible
Old 10-13-2021, 12:42 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Appreciate the compliments. Yes, Color Bond LVP #1131 (Savannah Beige).
The following users liked this post:
Flyfishnick (10-13-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 07:46 PM
jaxxon99
Advanced

@Billup did you clear coat over the LVP paint or leave it as is?
Old 11-07-2021, 10:38 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaxxon99
@Billup did you clear coat over the LVP paint or leave it as is?
Did not use any clear coat, left it as is mostly because I'm meticulous and knew it wouldn't see "abuse" needing a protective layer. Plus it matched the "soft touch" very well right out of the can. Appearance today is exactly the same as the picture above, 3ish years later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center Console questions