Sponsored by:

Voltage regulator need replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
But my question now is, how do those in metro areas that usually only require short drives handle this? Seems pretty inconvenient especially if you have your car parked in a parking garage - how do you keep the battery charged in that case?
Our's lives on the street so I can't keep a tender on it. I usually forget about it until we either don't drive it for 2-4 weeks or it starts getting really hard to start. Then I just make sure one of us takes it out for a nice long drive to charge itself back up.

Since it lives outside I'm considering hardwiring some solar panels into it to leave on the back shelf that will keep the battery topped off. I'm not sure if she'd approve of me messing with her car's wiring though given all the issues I caused in my old Escape when I installed a stereo and computer.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your issue sounds like it could be 2 things. 1 - the voltage regulator is on its way out but since you said it was recently replaced, I'd rule it out.

here is a bad voltage regulator vs a good one. I did it last year, took me and a buddy 2 hours to do. I owned the car for a week....easy enough to DIY. note the brushes on the right one.

Name:  20140514_183538_zpsnehakcgt.jpg
Views: 3613
Size:  54.5 KB

2 - regeneration valve. if this starts failing, it makes the car hard to start when warm. this is also intermittent for me. once the engine is rebuild, a new one will go in with it....
Old 06-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Quick Reply: Voltage regulator need replacement?