Sponsored by:

Gut Job for Sound Performance...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpine003
I can't speak for the sound but if you do gutted plus fister, you may lose a tiny amount of low end.

It may make more sense to first do gutted and see if you're happy with that before proceeding further.

Just thinking out loud but isn't the point of that mod to bypass the restriction of the muffler? I'd think that once it's gutted any mod like that wouldn't really do all that much anymore, or the effect would be a lot less?
Old 07-24-2015, 05:43 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Here is someone who can help with gutting the muffler.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:42 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly what part is stainless?
I was thinking some 996 mufflers have a stainless shell. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:06 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I was thinking some 996 mufflers have a stainless shell. Maybe I'm wrong?
All the ones I've seen and/or had, had rust on them. If it was stainless, I'm sure it also wouldn't be double wall construction either.

You probably thought it was stainless since you live in TX and you never took your car out. You probably thought other parts on the underside was stainless too since yours probably looked pristine with no signs of rust.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

I am not sure what Porsche uses on their mufflers but 304 stainless can actually rust, especially near salt water or high humidity areas.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:20 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by crashclint
I am not sure what Porsche uses on their mufflers but 304 stainless can actually rust, especially near salt water or high humidity areas.
Yeah I've seen that too but the rate at which these cans rust would lead me to believe they are more alumnized than stainless. Porsche didn't give us led 3rd brake light so I don't expect them to have given us stainless steel mufflers. Lol.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:38 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Yeah I've seen that too but the rate at which these cans rust would lead me to believe they are more alumnized than stainless. Porsche didn't give us led 3rd brake light so I don't expect them to have given us stainless steel mufflers. Lol.
Yeah, I agree. To me it looks as though mine has some kind of rust protective coating, unlike galvanize but maybe something similar.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Stick a magnet on it and find out.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:34 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
Stick a magnet on it and find out.
That would be too easy. The magnet definitely sticks to the muffler.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Just thinking out loud but isn't the point of that mod to bypass the restriction of the muffler? I'd think that once it's gutted any mod like that wouldn't really do all that much anymore, or the effect would be a lot less?
Seems redundant to gut the mufflers AND bypass the muffler.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

I don't have access to a mig welder since I no longer work in manufacturing so gutting is out of the question.

I watched a time lapse video of someone removing the mufflers without removing the bumper. He did it in 45 min, I had a stubborn nut so it took me 30 min longer. I will remove the shield for the coils when I put it back together to give me a little more room to work the 3 nuts that hold the muffler on.

There is a custom exhaust shop which does the Gundo/Fister for $60 a muffler with 1-7/8" stainless. I am going to drop them off in the morning and hopefully pick them up around 3pm.

I started my car without the mufflers and thought for a second going with straight pipes until my wife came out and was saying something about noise and neighbors but I couldn't hear exactly what she was saying over the revs.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:41 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by white out
Seems redundant to gut the mufflers AND bypass the muffler.
I havnt heard gutted in person but comparing YouTube videos the gutted has a higher pitch compared to gundo has more of deeper grumble. And if both are combined maybe it will be best of both worlds???
Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by 996pp
I havnt heard gutted in person but comparing YouTube videos the gutted has a higher pitch compared to gundo has more of deeper grumble. And if both are combined maybe it will be best of both worlds???
The deeper sound of the Gundo comes from the fact that part of it is filtered through the packing material in the can. The Gundo also is gonna sound fuller due to the dual frequency range characteristics presented by this fact. Once you remove any packing material from the muffler, it's gonna sound higher no matter if you just do a gut or if also add on the Gundo hack to an empty can.

If I can get it to sound similiar to my Tubi's, I'll be happy as I like more of the F1 sound.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

The deeper sound of the Gundo comes from the fact that part of it is filtered through the packing material in the can. The Gundo also is gonna sound fuller due to the dual frequency range characteristics presented by this fact. Once you remove any packing material from the muffler, it's gonna sound higher no matter if you just do a gut or if also add on the Gundo hack to an empty can.

If I can get it to sound similiar to my Tubi's, I'll be happy as I like more of the F1 sound.

Is there any material in the front of the muffler or only around the part in the pic?

It's really amazing what goes into these things and what differences even a small amount of packing like that makes.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:54 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Is there any material in the front of the muffler or only around the part in the pic?

It's really amazing what goes into these things and what differences even a small amount of packing like that makes.
If you look closely, there is tightly woven steel wool around the primary tube that enters the muffler case. It then travels to the bottom chamber(second internal muffler) that has finer fiberglass packing underneath the chamber which is perforated on the bottom. Both these combos not only reduce sound levels but also reduces any high harmonics(ie raspiness) to the timbre of the sound.

Quick Reply: Gut Job for Sound Performance...