996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 996

Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Tim_944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 996

i've had a 944 for the past 7 years. The 944 has been nice but i want something more modern, working AC etc. I'm in Vancouver so 996 prices are a bit higher than in the states i think. A nice non C4s / turbo model sell for around 25-30k. I already know about the ims problems with the 996 and know a guy that replaces the ims bearings here (not sure how much he charges).

my question is would a 996 make a reliable daily driver once you replace the ims and clutch? i'd want to look for a car with under 100k kms so I don't have to replace suspension and steering parts for a while.

also what model/ year 996 will be the most reliable and cheap to own? I can't afford a turbo or gt3 so just looking for a base 996 or maybe a c4s.

thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

A 996 should be a reliable daily driver.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Tim_944
Instructor

to clarify i'm mostly worried about engine problems with the 996. i'm wondering if there is a difference in reliability between the different years and models (S, C4s etc). i know the 996 turbo and gt3 engines are more reliable but they are out of my budget.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 AM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought mine thinking it'd be my 'second car', and it's pushed my DD and a nice motorbike into the shadows. I'm glad I held out for a 996.2 (2002 onward), as I think the numerous small improvements make a difference to the whole.
It's nimble and comfortable, on my downtown DC commute. It's a drug they don't sell, on dawn patrol in the foothills of the Blue Mountains. It's an extremely capable shrinker of distance, when you've got a little time and an old friend 4 states away.
I'll do the stupid bearing soon, for peace of mind's sake. But of 2 other 911s, an M3, and a few other capable cars, my 996 is by far the most enjoyable for most of the driving I do. Take your time, enjoy the search, and you'll love yours too.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:29 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh, where to start . . . First off, the "bad engine" reputation is way overblown. There is a tremendous amount of information about the difference between the different years. Search is your friend. These cars are very reliable but keep in mind the newest models are now 11 years old. Stuff will break on them, just like with any used car. Probably the most important thing is to check for ferrous metal in the oil filter.
These are relatively easy cars to work on yourself if you like to do your own wrenching - which given that you are an experienced 944 owner I assume you do.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I use my 996 as a DD, and love it every day! It's a 2004 coupe that I picked up in the US a couple of years ago (when the exchange rate was much better). Yea, prices are higher here in Canada. Expect to pay about $30K for a 996.2 with reasonable mileage. But expect some maintenance issues. I have had to replace RMS, cats, window regulator, key, coolant tank, water pump, axle shaft, engine mounts, plugs and coils (plus lots of brakes and tires due to track driving). I also did the IMSB (and clutch kit with pressure plate) as PM. The killer was the engine. But I now have a 997 engine which is awesome. It's an amazing sports car and you won't be disappointed! Not expensive to buy but not cheap to maintain, in my experience. I am also here in Van if you want to chat over coffee (or something stronger).
Old 07-02-2015, 01:22 AM
996 SHARK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use mine for a DD and absolutely love it
Old 07-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The best advice I can think of is to find one that has been well maintained.
Many out there already have had their IMSB replaced.
Many believe that the 1999s (and early 2000s) are more reliable than the later models due to a double row IMSB.

If you plan to daily drive and end up putting on a lot of miles, expect higher maintenance costs than the average car. There are a lot of little "niggling" things that can and do break and wear out.
By and large, they are easy and rewarding to work on though.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:40 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim_944
i've had a 944 for the past 7 years. The 944 has been nice but i want something more modern, working AC etc. I'm in Vancouver so 996 prices are a bit higher than in the states i think. A nice non C4s / turbo model sell for around 25-30k. I already know about the ims problems with the 996 and know a guy that replaces the ims bearings here (not sure how much he charges).

my question is would a 996 make a reliable daily driver once you replace the ims and clutch? i'd want to look for a car with under 100k kms so I don't have to replace suspension and steering parts for a while.

also what model/ year 996 will be the most reliable and cheap to own? I can't afford a turbo or gt3 so just looking for a base 996 or maybe a c4s.

thanks.
Hey Tim! Come and drive the one I have for sale. It's higher mileage than you want BUT it is tight, extremely well cared for, and you can have a GREAT test drive to get the feel of a 996. I'll be heading up to Pemberton with the local PCA in my .2 Spyder Saturday am but back down in Vancouver early pm. I'm just up in the Main and Kingsway area. No pressure - we'll just go for a good drive and you can get a feel.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:46 AM
Tim_944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hey Tim! Come and drive the one I have for sale. It's higher mileage than you want BUT it is tight, extremely well cared for, and you can have a GREAT test drive to get the feel of a 996. I'll be heading up to Pemberton with the local PCA in my .2 Spyder Saturday am but back down in Vancouver early pm. I'm just up in the Main and Kingsway area. No pressure - we'll just go for a good drive and you can get a feel.
Hey Zeus993, thanks for the offer, but i'm in kelowna at the moment will be coming back to Van soon.I'll see if I can come check it out when i'm back. Is your car listed on craigslist? There is a yellow 996 with GT3 kit on craigslist. If that is your car, looks really nice.I love the 996 GT3 body. I am only looking to buy a 996 with low miles however.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:51 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes to all the above, you will have a wonderful time.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Tim_944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokayman
The best advice I can think of is to find one that has been well maintained.
Many out there already have had their IMSB replaced.
Many believe that the 1999s (and early 2000s) are more reliable than the later models due to a double row IMSB.

If you plan to daily drive and end up putting on a lot of miles, expect higher maintenance costs than the average car. There are a lot of little "niggling" things that can and do break and wear out.
By and large, they are easy and rewarding to work on though.
interesting, thanks for the info. Is it possible to update the late 996 with a double row ims?

also i've read about 996 motors having issues with porous engine blocks, cracked heads and timing chain failures. are these a big concern when searching for a 996?

I know when i was looking for a 944 years ago I was scared about timing belt failures because I kept on hearing stories about timing belt failures and bent valves.

Also, i'm fairly mechanically inclined, i do all the work on my 944, including major repairs, but not sure how difficult a 996 is to work on. i've heard the 996 is fairly easy to work on but that is relative, not sure how they compare to the 944 (obviously totally different cars). I don't own a lift, I use jackstands when working on my 944 and it's a pain to do some jobs.

edit: sorry missed spokayman stating that they are easy to work on.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

I use my 996 as a DD. It's a perfect DD car. AC and cup holders for my coffee, yet great on the track too. Plenty of room for groceries or luggage for road trips. Can carry four passengers. What more could one ask for?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first Porsche is an 944 turbo s. And I also don't own a lift, so do most of the work on jack stands. Def a pain. I went to 996 as a DD (only have the car for 2 days so far) as 944 is now track car. I figured it easier to work on rear engine if I have to. I did research and came to the conclusion IMSB is overblown. It's a car. Anything can happen. The percentage failure is low. You can do various things to give you peace of mind. Extra oil capacity monitor system etc. I went c4s because it has a basis for a turbo but it less prone to be beat on or over tuned by tuner so I could find one that wasn't abused. Plus I didn't want to be dealing with turbo problems for a DD. I also may drive in winter and wanted the all wheel drive with good snow tires
Old 07-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought an '02 Carrera a little over 2 years ago that had just turned 100,000 miles. More miles than I wanted, but after looking 6 months this was the cleanest and most well maintained car I had looked at. And the price was right.

This has been my DD, and I love it! Just turned 147,000 miles yesterday, and I would feel comfortable jumping into it tomorrow and drive cross country. Yes, I've replaced the usual along the way, but so glad I made the leap. Do your homework and your likely to have the same experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 996