Sponsored by:

Leaking reverse switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:31 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaking reverse switch?

Noticed quite a few oil drops on my garage floor today, fortunately it's quite a bit further ahead of the IMS/RMS area so I didn't panic right away.

First thing I noticed after jacking up the car was the forward under-liner is very damp with oil which eventually dripped of it on to the floor.

Pull one of the under-liner off and found some localized oily patch, one at the very forward and bottom of the transmission housing where the front transmission mount is, no oily patch on the driver side, however noticeable oily patch on the passenger side.

The wet oily patch appears to start around and below the reverse switch, which I had replaced with aftermarket one a couple of summers ago, I removed the switch, which was tight so it hasn't loosened over time, and felt oily area on the hex service, and it seems to have a tiny amount of oil inside the connector housing.

So it seems the transmission fluid is splashing past the reverse switch and slowly leaked out, not sure for how long since I did not notice this last fall when the car was put away.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone recall if there is a gasket for this reverse switch? There wasn't one when I removed the current switch, but I do not recall if the one I replaced two years ago had it or not.

First image is from passenger side where the reverse switch is located, most of the brown color area, especially directly below the reverse switch are damp with transmission fluid, second image from driver side, dry except the very bottom where it's shiny with oily patch.

(reverse direction if your car is RHD. )
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you mean the reversing light switch? If so, I did mine about 2 years ago and DO remember that it was not to be put in place over tight. That tells me that there just may be a gasket with it. Sorry I can't remember for sure. Maybe as you pre-order a knew one it might tell or show you.

Here is my link to my problem https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-working.html

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 06-07-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Leaking reverse switch?