996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sunroof drain, found leak, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Neil_Ireland
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof drain, found leak, how to fix?

Hi all,

I noticed my rear carpets wet today and did some searching and found my rear sunroof drain leaking.
The drain tube is clear, I can blow through it easily but as you can see from the pic its leaking from the seam of the plastic part the drain tube attaches to.

Name:  3EE8CFE5-106D-48ED-BC62-AC524553D99A_zpsrcevapaq.jpg
Views: 5240
Size:  116.2 KB

Any idea if this is repairable?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 04:16 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

It seems that the drains are integral to the whole frame. In other words there is no simple plastic part to replace. See here: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=811-00

New frame - $1305.

Clear silicone sealant should work. There is no pressure, just gravity drains. A light coating smeared with your finger may do the trick. I certainly would try it first. Maybe do it, let it dry overnight, then before you re-assembly the head liner run some water from the hose over your sunroof and see if there are any more leaks.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Neil_Ireland
Intermediate

Turns out the drain itself was blocked, not the tube.
I connected everything back and poured water over the sunroof and not a drop came in
Old 02-24-2019, 07:06 PM
NashvillePorsche
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Neil_Ireland
Turns out the drain itself was blocked, not the tube.
I connected everything back and poured water over the sunroof and not a drop came in
Now I've got that problem with my 2005 997.1S. I pulled the headliner back and found water leaking from the drain itself. I can even wiggle the drain and see that it is just barely loose within the frame. I hoped it was just clogged like yours, so I pushed some weed-eater wire through the drain exit and it came out the other side just fine. Not sure what to do here, and don't want to pay for a new frame and installation. May try the silicone route... but not sure if it'll work.

Quick Reply: Sunroof drain, found leak, how to fix?