Sponsored by:

Front Seat Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Front Seat Belt Replacement

Anyone know of a good write-up on front seat belt replacement. I'm about to do mine and I know many people have done it, but can't find a good description or video guide.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced the seat belt buckles on my 1998 Boxster, it should be a little easier on the 996. Here is a link that has some pictures. On the picture below, I don't recommend taking the plug out of the little bracket under the seat. If you turn the plug a 1/4 it will come out as one piece. I am in Wake Forest and can give you a hand if needed.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album651

Old 05-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for posting.

Did you also replace the belt? I've got the online manuals and in principle it's not difficult to get the side panels and belt out, but in reality I struggled to get the first piece off in order to access the screw that removes the rear side panel.

It's not an urgent job, so I can take my time in doing it, but it was not encouraging that I couldn't even get the first piece off of the car. As with all tasks, it helps if you know the tricks.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice to see you posting Wellardmac. How many miles on your aero 996? Are you wearing out seatbelts or doing an upgrade?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Barn996
Nice to see you posting Wellardmac. How many miles on your aero 996? Are you wearing out seatbelts or doing an upgrade?
Good to see you too! I'm still here, but only check in once or twice a month. Too much drama for me to be here more often - life is too short.

My 996 hit 80K last month and passed annual service and inspections with flying colors last week. All is running well, but the seat belt is starting to loose tension on the re-wind, so I know that at some point in the next year I'll end up replacing it... I've started shopping (although, I need to pin down the exact part number) and am trying to figure out how to get the job done. In principle it doesn't look too difficult, but "easy" tasks can often be misleading, as is the case in removing the first piece of molding around the seatbelt as it goes into the rear side panel.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:43 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

I just replaced the buckles as I had an airbag light and my belts retract fine.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Good to see you too! I'm still here, but only check in once or twice a month. Too much drama for me to be here more often - life is too short.
Oldie but goodie.
I don't blame you...
Old 05-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
Oldie but goodie.
I don't blame you...
It's good to see that you guys are still here - there are so few of us original and second generation owners left and lots of new faces - a different place than it was a few years ago.

Having said that, there are only so many times I can read people getting into fights over oil, IMS, etc., before I want to delete my account. My solution is to come back for snapshots of the latest fun and check in on how people are doing.

My Porsche is still running strong. It is still the most reliable, lowest cost of maintenance car I've ever owned. The 996 is the best value for money car around and I'm not sure I'll ever be ready to trade mine. I'd be willing to bet that the 3 of us are still running strong 5 years from now and loving every minute of driving our cars.

When my car was in at the dealer getting serviced I was in the waiting area when I heard this awesome car start up - the engine note made me and the service advisor turn our heads. Turns out it was my car being started.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:35 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good to see that you guys are still here - there are so few of us original and second generation owners left and lots of new faces - a different place than it was a few years ago.

Having said that, there are only so many times I can read people getting into fights over oil, IMS, etc., before I want to delete my account. My solution is to come back for snapshots of the latest fun and check in on how people are doing.
Come back to New Jersey. You're missed.

By the way, did you replace you seatbelt?
Old 02-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by VGM911
Come back to New Jersey. You're missed.

By the way, did you replace you seatbelt?

I miss you guys too. I still have the same car, but I don't get to do a fraction of the driving I used to do with you guys and I don't have half as much fun. The guys down here prefer to sit around polishing their cars, or maybe a drive to get BBQ, nothing like the backroad runs that we did around PA and NJ.

Hard to believe that I've been down here almost 7 years now. I added a BMW M3 to the stable and that encouraged me to develop a bad habit of getting onto the track driving with BMW and that's a lot of fun.

As for the seatbelt - no, I didn't. I had the dealer look at it, they did an adjustment and so far it has been fine.

Finding a mechanic I trust down here was tough - there were a couple of incidents where an indy tried fleecing me for stuff I didn't need, but the local dealer has proven to be trustworthy.

It's good to see at least one of the old timers still hanging around here. Anyone else?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:42 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

I miss you guys too. I still have the same car, but I don't get to do a fraction of the driving I used to do with you guys and I don't have half as much fun. The guys down here prefer to sit around polishing their cars, or maybe a drive to get BBQ, nothing like the backroad runs that we did around PA and NJ.

Hard to believe that I've been down here almost 7 years now. I added a BMW M3 to the stable and that encouraged me to develop a bad habit of getting onto the track driving with BMW and that's a lot of fun.

As for the seatbelt - no, I didn't. I had the dealer look at it, they did an adjustment and so far it has been fine.

Finding a mechanic I trust down here was tough - there were a couple of incidents where an indy tried fleecing me for stuff I didn't need, but the local dealer has proven to be trustworthy.

It's good to see at least one of the old timers still hanging around here. Anyone else?

It's hard to believe that it's been seven years! Time flies, I guess.

I still enjoy driving Porsches as much as ever, although lately it's been Boxsters. Nice cars....but I really miss the hp and torque of the 911, the ability to recline the seat on a long trip when I need a break, and the handy storage space behind the seats that's so easily accessible by the driver and the front seat passenger.

I almost headed your way during this past summer - I was tempted to participate in the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit (although a few non-Boxsters participate) in Little Switzerland, NC. Sixty-six cars have already signed up for the 2017 edition (website: BRBS.org). If I do decide to go, I'll let you know and perhaps we could meet up if you're anywhere near there.

I'm glad you "discovered" the world of BMWs and that you're enjoying your M3. It's a great car, isn't it?

As far as old timers, I'll be seeing spiderv6 soon. He had a 2003 silver 911 when you were here. I'll give him your regards.

In any event, it was good touching base with you again. Be safe this winter!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:03 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Wellardmac, would you happen to have the covered bridge tour route that you led all those years ago (7/28/07)?

If so, I'd love to have it for another shot at that beautiful drive. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:15 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

For future reference I used a 997 guide that was posted on here it had pics and was quite detailed.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

It's hard to believe that it's been seven years! Time flies, I guess.

I still enjoy driving Porsches as much as ever, although lately it's been Boxsters. Nice cars....but I really miss the hp and torque of the 911, the ability to recline the seat on a long trip when I need a break, and the handy storage space behind the seats that's so easily accessible by the driver and the front seat passenger.

I almost headed your way during this past summer - I was tempted to participate in the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit (although a few non-Boxsters participate) in Little Switzerland, NC. Sixty-six cars have already signed up for the 2017 edition (website: BRBS.org). If I do decide to go, I'll let you know and perhaps we could meet up if you're anywhere near there.

I'm glad you "discovered" the world of BMWs and that you're enjoying your M3. It's a great car, isn't it?

As far as old timers, I'll be seeing spiderv6 soon. He had a 2003 silver 911 when you were here. I'll give him your regards.

In any event, it was good touching base with you again. Be safe this winter!
Pretty cool - please do let me know if you make it down here. I've done a couple of the Blue Ridge drives and they're a lot of fun. Sadly, business travel gets in the way too often.

I need to find a good car event to attend this year.

As for the covered bridge route - I can't put my hands on it right now, but IM me your email address and if I find it I'll send it your way.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 PM
dgi 07
Racer

...........To New Jersey......?
.....the covered bridge tour route that you led all those years ago (7/28/07)?
Can I get a copy of said route. Need more places to go other than bear mountain.

Quick Reply: Front Seat Belt Replacement