Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tracking down coolant smell up front (and very slow loss)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:16 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tracking down coolant smell up front (and very slow loss)

I've been hunting coolant smells since first bought the car but even when it happens I never see much loss of coolant. I have to add like 16 oz of water maybe once every 2 or 3 months to keep the line above <min>.

About a year ago my AOS blew out and the car dumped coolant everywhere. I figured that was the end of it and that was where the smell was coming from.

Well it seems that randomly I'll still get that antifreeze smell (sometimes stronger than others) coming from the driver's side front wheel well. When it happens there is ZERO smell coming from the engine compartment.

I removed my bumper cover and cleaned out the radiators but didn't see any clear evidence of a leak. I did see what looked like very slight corrosion around the top seam of both radiators but it is difficult to tell if it is coolant. All lines to and from both radiators look dry as a bone.

I tried Macster's poor man's pressure test and while I didn't get any leaks at all, I swear if I got close enough I could smell coolant on both radiators.

I really don't want to spend $800 on two new radiators when I'm not 100% sure they are leaking but I don't know what else to do. I could pay a shop to do an extended pressure test but risk wasting money for them to tell me either a) it holds pressure and they can't find anything or b) it has a very slight loss of pressure but we aren't sure where it is coming from.

I'm tempted to try the dye in the coolant trick, but if it is only vapor that is escaping through the top of the radiators, would the dye even show up?

Any other places to look up front?

I'd rather not wait until it is a full blown leak because I'd like to get my wife on the track with this car and don't want it to happen while she is in the middle of a session.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:11 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

FWIW - it seems you have done the most prudent things to do so far. However, given the "coolant smell" and loss of coolant over time, I would opt for the dye. Even with a vapor leak it will show up under the UV light. Then you will know for sure where your leak is and can plan accordingly.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:19 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dotframe
I've been hunting coolant smells since first bought the car

I tried Macster's poor man's pressure test

I'd rather not wait until it is a full blown leak because I'd like to get my wife on the track with this car and don't want it to happen while she is in the middle of a session.

I could pay a shop to do an extended pressure test <<<<<<< +996 to this
Old 02-24-2015, 04:37 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go the UV dye route first.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:38 PM
dotframe
Pro

Originally Posted by kromdom
I could pay a shop to do an extended pressure test <<<<<<< +996 to this
Ugh I guess you are right but they already did that after replacing the AOS. I guess it is possible something has popped since then. My other worry is that they will sort of expect to get the work after the diagnosis and I'd prefer to do the work myself.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Betcha the leak is from the top seams of the radiators. Just replaced all 3 radiators in my 996 Turbo and the bottom seams were leaking.

FYI, the leak doesn't have to be very big or even that obvious. My 1996 Mustang GT radiator developed a leak. Walked out to the car in a SLC hotel parking lot one morning and spotted a small puddle of coolant under the car. Well, the fact there was a leak was obvious, but where the leak was coming from was not.

Long story short the local Ford dealer tech found the leak. Lucky for him and me it was a pinhole on the back side (engine side) of the radiator. The pinhole was dry, but there was a slight stain down the radiator from where the pinhole was suspected of being.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 AM
dotframe
Pro

I think you are right. I just don't see any other place where it would be coming from. I now even recall times where I opened the frunk and got a whiff.
I guess its time to replace them but I did have one question. Are there any negative effects of using the dye?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 AM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
NO
Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by dotframe
I think you are right. I just don't see any other place where it would be coming from. I now even recall times where I opened the frunk and got a whiff.
I guess its time to replace them but I did have one question. Are there any negative effects of using the dye?
My 2nd hand info is the dye is harmless. (There are florescent dyes for engine oil leaks, A/C leaks, and cooling system leaks. My 1996 Mustang had the engine oil dye used to highlight an engine oil leak. Oh, the dye glows when a black light is used to "illuminate" the leak area.)

A whiff of anti-freeze odor is a sign of a leak. When I caught a whiff of anti-freeze odor at the driver's side door of my 996 Turbo I immediately took the car over to the dealer and managed to get it on the lift for an inspection and the tech spotted signs of the water pump seal leaking. It had been leaking a while as there was the build up of anti-freeze residue.

Might mention early in Jan. this year the Turbo's radiators were found to be leaking. Actually, I had spotted what was or had to be coolant puddles at each front corner of the car but believed the puddles were water from snow that had melted from the heat of the radiators. The car was outside at the hotel in mid-Missouri over a week or so of very cold temperatures -- down in the single digits -- and blowing snow and in the morning before heading out I'd spot some of this snow in the radiator ducts. Even though all 3 radiators were leaking and of course the puddles were coolant, I never smelled anti-freeze. Too damn cold, I guess.

A few years prior I'd catch a whiff of antifreeze from the Boxster, around the rear of the car, sometimes after opening the rear trunk. At some point when the coolant level got low I id'd the cap as the leak source and replaced it. But still every once in a great while I'd catch a whiff of anti-freeze odor. Finally I did my (infamous?) hot pressure test and the coolant tank finally manifested the unmistakeable signs of leak. After the tank was replaced no more anti-freeze odor.

This no odor of anti-freeze is not my imagination. The Porsche techs tell me with the older cars, our cars, one shouldn't smell anti-freeze. If you do there's a leak.

With the newer cars that may not be the case. The difference in volume between the min fill mark and the max fill mark is so small now if the coolant level isn't just "so" the engines can somehow expel a bit of coolant at times -- through some overflow or pressure relief valve -- and the techs say sometimes one can catch a whiff of anti-freeze but the cooling system does not have a leak.

And because the engine can expel a bit of coolant once in a while the coolant level has to be watched a bit closer. But avoid overfilling or the thing will just expel this excess coolant and there'll be the smell of anti-freeze or one will observe the level is down again and add more coolant and repeat...
Old 02-26-2015, 08:47 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most auto parts stores have loaner pressure testers. Worst case just pay a shop for their labor to pressure test the system, then you can repair it.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Great, now I'm paranoid.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 AM
dotframe
Pro

Nothing to be paranoid about really. My car has been amazing and even when the AOS blew and coolant went everywhere the car was fine.

Some of our cars are just getting older and need a little TLC. Any other car would too.

Plus, changing radiators (and even the water pump) isn't too difficult.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:48 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Done water pump already. Thought I got a whiff at driver front the other day. No coolant loss though.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Done water pump already. Thought I got a whiff at driver front the other day. No coolant loss though.
Well, that's a sign there is a leak.

Monitoring coolant level on these cars can be a bit tricky. I hate to admit but I got fooled into thinking the level was ok when in fact I was just seeing the stain of the coolant on the tank. I tried to jiggle the car a bit, up and down a bit, to see if the coolant level line moved and I thought it did but in hindsight I think I was just not paying that close attention. I wanted the level to be ok so that is what I saw.

Only when the warning light came on and I bothered to unscrew the cap -- after the engine had cooled down -- and removed the screen and peered down in the tank through the opening did I realize how low the level was and how stained the inside of the tank was and how I had been "fooled" by the stain into thinking the coolant level was ok.

How do the radiator ducts look? Have you been keeping these clean of trash/litter?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Definitely use dye + yellow goggle + blacklight and remove the front bumper so you can visually check the radiators. I've used the traceline leak detection kit ($50 or so and it includes the light and goggle) and it works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Tracking down coolant smell up front (and very slow loss)