Cold Air Kit mod - Tiptronic hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Daniel Kant
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Kit mod - Tiptronic hose

Hi

I´v been reading and searching on this and other forums about the cold air kit mod for my 996 4S. Not here to debate the effects but rather to get some clarity on how to deal with the extra hose that some tiptronic cars has on their air intake tube (including mine). Anyone here that has the mod and had to deal with the extra "breather" hose, how did you solve this?

The extra hose can be seen on the pic below:

Old 02-08-2015, 09:48 AM
calebbmcdonald
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tip car and had looked into this as well. I ended up not doing the whole CAI and went with the orange cap mod instead. However from what I found, if you do a CAI with the silicone elbow on a tip car, you will need have to find a way to leave that breather hose open to the air. The best way to do this is to get a small breather filter from your local auto-parts store, and fit it on the end of this hose. You can then arrange the hose where you would like.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Daniel Kant
Advanced

Hmm, the "orange cap mod" seems like the same mod i´m looking in to. It still requires you to deal with the extra hose if you have a tip since you will be replacing the air intake tube. One way is getting a small breather filter as you say. I haven't been able to pinpoint what type exactly :/ Any suggestions? Links?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 AM
calebbmcdonald
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do just the orange cap then you don't replace the air intake tub. I ordered a cap that fits inside the hole for the resonator and blocks it off. I just installed the stock tube back over it. So the resonator is blocked but no need to replace the tube. You can order the cap as a free sample from Niagra Plastics. I believe the part number is 273-1P. This actually makes the mod entirely free.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 AM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breather filter. Most auto parts stores will have them. Just be sure it fits snugly over the end of the Tip hose. The installation instructions that come with some manufacturers' kits explain this.

Personally I do not believe any of the HP/Torque gain claims BUT taking the Helmholtz resonator out definitely improves intake noise (as in, you can hear it) which for me makes the car more enjoyable to drive.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Daniel Kant
Advanced

Thanks for the tips! I have ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-996-...403233?vxp=mtr

I still have to get that breather filter but i think it contains everything needed for changing the hose, removing the Helmholtz and the bits to "cap" the wholes. in the box.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

The extra breather hose for the Tip is NOT US spec. Is this a ROW car?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:22 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
The extra breather hose for the Tip is NOT US spec. Is this a ROW car?
My car was bought new right here in Las Vegas, its a TIP car with the same breather hose as shown in the picture.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:32 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Daniel,
As 02TX996Cab already pointed, here is what it will look like (copied from post #19 by Alphahunter in AN OLD THREAD about this mod for tips): https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...uestion-2.html

P.S. It may not matter to you but that same tube in your link can be bought for around $33.00 (without the SCHNELL brand)

Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Daniel Kant
Advanced

God i love this forum Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2015, 10:29 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by JD ARTHUR
My car was bought new right here in Las Vegas, its a TIP car with the same breather hose as shown in the picture.
I did some research as my car also came from Vegas and is a 99 Tip. (Got my service manual out)

From what I found out it is a difference in designs between the Chrysler built Tip S (when Merc owned them) and the ZF Tip. 98's (Euro only) through 2000 (At some point) used the ZF - after that it was the Daimler-Chrysler unit. The change in design between these trans-axle brands added a vent hose that required 'filtered' air for the altitude sensor.

This sensor calculates an altitude correction factor based on the input from this sensor. The engine management software (DME 7.8) along with the TCU program map, compensate for loss of engine efficacy at altitude by correcting the shift points when in auto mode.

So that's the difference and the 'why' behind why some early 996's don't have this vent and other do.

A possible mod for this would be to drill a matching size hole (of the same size as the sensor air hose) into the silicon intake hose and mount the hose into this intake to take advantage of the filtered air. It's more work but IMHO more elegant then a secondary PVC like filter and the need to mount the filter (plastic zip ties?) so it doesn't move around.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the way some of you guys have the split air intake with the two filters on them, what are they called and who sells them. If I got one I would like to have it modified to accept the TIP hose as if it were stock. I realize there is n gain but it looks good.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by JD ARTHUR
I like the way some of you guys have the split air intake with the two filters on them, what are they called and who sells them. If I got one I would like to have it modified to accept the TIP hose as if it were stock. I realize there is n gain but it looks good.
The enclosed air boxes are better then the open filter type that are drawing warm (power sucking) air from the engine bay. My intake draws air from my GT3 wing's upper air slot and I'm in the process for hunting for a factory 997S twin intake box that I can mod up and fit. There are some single & twin filter set up's that employ a carbon sheet guard that attempts to isolate the engine bay heat but unless you have the 997 4.0L like rear hood air vent I fail to see how much value you're getting from sucking air from below the chassis and through the small vents on the OEM wing. If you look at a lot of German tuners such as 9ff, Ruf etc, they all employ air boxes that suck cold air and don't use these cone filters exposed to engine heat. There is a reason for this.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Daniel Kant
Advanced

Ok!

Got the "Schnell" installed tonight. I must say that i really feel a quicker throttle response and even more aggressive growl when flooring (i have a Dansk super sound exhaust system on it) Very happy with it so far.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 AM
99 -Norway
7th Gear

What size is the breather on the tiptronic hose?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Kit mod - Tiptronic hose