jshalomo
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Jake.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 AM
Jake Raby
User

You'll get it... This HAS to be the issue, its the only thing that will shift the IMS assembly up, toward the crank.

Take pics and post them when you find it! This is so easy to screw up.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 AM
jshalomo
User

Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
You'll get it... This HAS to be the issue, its the only thing that will shift the IMS assembly up, toward the crank.

Take pics and post them when you find it! This is so easy to screw up.
Will do.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:46 AM
dporto
Super User

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Rennlist at it's best!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:28 PM
aftCG
User

snip
As you turn the sprocket the chain will stay out of place because the next link just feeds right back into the same place. Look carefully to find this, and you'll be able to move forward again.
Interesting phenomenon. I would have pictured the chain sorting itself out as you rotated it, but now I see that it would just keep a hump in it while it spun. Great tip from Jake as usual (I'm apparently also sitting on a tube of 5900 I won't be using).

I bought an IWIS chain before I saw Jakes comments a while back. I checked my chain and it is 0.020" shorter than the old one. Wondering if I should cut bait and get a different chain.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Jake Raby
User

Fit that IWIS chain to the IMS sprocket and see how it fits... You'll find that it's tight, and too narrow.. Probably.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jshalomo View Post
OUCH!!! While I am ultra pissed that I have to separate the case again, I am really grateful for your expert advise as you just saved me a lot of time and further frustration. You simply must publish your engine building book....it would be worth its weight in gold. Thanks for bailing me out Jake.
I think we need a "Like" button.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:27 AM
jshalomo
User

Tough to take good pictures, but the first one is of the chain not sitting properly on top of the sprocket due to several links on the bottom (not pictured) climbing on top.

The 2nd picture is of the chain seated properly inside the sprocket.

After the readjustment, I noticed that the IMS tensioner paddle loosened up, and the distance between IMS sprocket and crank sprocket increased by 7 MM or so.

Will have to wait for parts to come in from pelican to put it back together again, so I won't know until the weekend if everything is ok. As Jake stated, I noticed how easily it can pop out on its own, so I will definitely fasten the IMS flange as soon as possible after dropping the crank carrier back in.
Attached Images   
Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 AM
Dannyfumi
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jake, When will the book be published?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 AM
Jake Raby
User

There ya go… Thats the late drive, its much more difficult to goof this up with the late drive, but it is possible.

Its almost like I've done this a couple times :-)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 AM
jshalomo
User

There ya go… Thats the late drive, its much more difficult to goof this up with the late drive, but it is possible.

Its almost like I've done this a couple times :-)
As I recall it was a little bit of a struggle for me to seat the crank carrier on its dowels...I am guessing the chain must have shifted during that process???
Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
aftCG
User

Originally Posted by jshalomo View Post
As I recall it was a little bit of a struggle for me to seat the crank carrier on its dowels...I am guessing the chain must have shifted during that process???
That would be an easy time for that to happen. I did a dry run on fitting my bearing carrier to the case half and before I did, I decided to use a zip tie to simulate the function of the chain tensioner. It takes up all the slack, keeping the chain snug against all the teeth.

Once it's in place and the carrier is attached to the case half I can snip the zip tie and begin the process of installing pistons 1-3.

This pic may help show what I'm talking about.

There's no danger of forgetting the zip tie because I can't rotate the crank to install the pistons with this in place.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM
jshalomo
User

Originally Posted by aftCG View Post

That would be an easy time for that to happen. I did a dry run on fitting my bearing carrier to the case half and before I did, I decided to use a zip tie to simulate the function of the chain tensioner. It takes up all the slack, keeping the chain snug against all the teeth.

Once it's in place and the carrier is attached to the case half I can snip the zip tie and begin the process of installing pistons 1-3.

This pic may help show what I'm talking about.

There's no danger of forgetting the zip tie because I can't rotate the crank to install the pistons with this in place.
That's a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMS Tube Totally Misaligned

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: