Sponsored by:

996 engine rattle noise at cold start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchett
Please update if you find the cause. My car makes a very similar noise for 10-30 seconds after startup, but my car is in storage, so I have not had time to diagnose this myself.

Thank you!
I finally pulled the serpentine belt and determined that it's not any of the pulleys. The noise is still there. I guess it sounds like chains to me, so maybe I need new tensioners.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:07 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I'll do that and also disconnect the belt - as Macster has said in other posts.

It is a little disconcerting that so many of these 911s sound the way they do when cold. A lot of folks say that these noises are "common," but that doesn't mean that common is "normal."
There are a lot of engines that have lifter rattle on startup especially if they sit a long time between starts. My 996 does it on cold starts ifbit sits a few days. If I'm driving it for a few days multiple trips and the oil and lifters don't have time to drain and pump down, nonstartup noise. I feel this is one of the disadvantages of a boxer engine compared to a V or inline. Lifters in a V or inline will retain more oil, but their disadvantage would be its likely dirtier oil.

I'm not certain but worn timing chain guides and chain rattle would probably be quite a bit louder and sound more random and less steady than lifters.

If if I ever have to replace the AOS or get to some major maintenance, I feel replacing the chain tensioners would definitely be worthwhile.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I finally pulled the serpentine belt and determined that it's not any of the pulleys. The noise is still there. I guess it sounds like chains to me, so maybe I need new tensioners.
That is unfortunate. Mine still seems to be correlated with weather when it comes to volume and length of time that it runs noisy. When the weather is hot it starts quietly, but any days that dip into the 40s for temperature and the car makes the rattle/tapping sound. Not quite the same sound as scored cylinders, but scary nonetheless. For example, today was 55F and I had the rattle for 1-3 seconds and nothing right on startup, so I would think it is the chains. Car has had this sound since August of last year and when I took it in for inspection this April the sump and oil was clean as a whistle.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchett
That is unfortunate. Mine still seems to be correlated with weather when it comes to volume and length of time that it runs noisy. When the weather is hot it starts quietly, but any days that dip into the 40s for temperature and the car makes the rattle/tapping sound. Not quite the same sound as scored cylinders, but scary nonetheless. For example, today was 55F and I had the rattle for 1-3 seconds and nothing right on startup, so I would think it is the chains. Car has had this sound since August of last year and when I took it in for inspection this April the sump and oil was clean as a whistle.
Well, upon further review, a lot of folks that have had this issue with noise, and they have replaced one or both tensioners, even IMSB and other items that were replaced such as chain pads, and they still had the noise.

So, I shouldn't have been so quick to say "tensioners" because I'm not sure that's it. Sometimes it sounds like a rod or piston knock, sometimes it sounds like lifters and valves.

Quick Reply: 996 engine rattle noise at cold start