996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

MkII 996 vacuum line routing and related components

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't think of a reason why it would as long as there's no leak.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:02 AM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think so either, but wasn't sure.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Thank you Ahsai !

Ahsai, Great photo of the vacuum system. I have been bewildered by the rats nest of brittle vacuum lines .Your photo is a great help.I had been collecting every post I could find to try to piece together a full ,captioned photo of the entire vacuum system -correctly configured.
Thanks for taking the time to post this for us.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Glad it helped you!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:01 AM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the breakdown, this is my next project. My cel comes on when sitting in traffic but never when i am moving so the vacuum system must be searching for something.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:32 PM
jpNcos
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for the picture!!!

I broke a vacuum line while putting my alternator back in after an oil filler tube replacement. Then managed to pull the line loose from the intake resonance flap actuator.

I knew I would figure out what I did here. Now that I know what I did time to collect parts and plan some down time.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:08 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Ahsai, Great photo of the vacuum system. I have been bewildered by the rats nest of brittle vacuum lines .Your photo is a great help.I had been collecting every post I could find to try to piece together a full ,captioned photo of the entire vacuum system -correctly configured.
Thanks for taking the time to post this for us.
Others may find this video helpful.It is for a 986 but is generally the same.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default how is this possible

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I'm in the process of replacing my AOS and the starter cable so I have the left intake manifold off the engine ('03 C2 coupe manual transmission). While I'm in there, I decided to refresh my vacuum system and replace all the vacuum lines, the rubber Y's and elbows, the vacuum reservoir, and the two changeover valves. All that for only $130. The stock vacuum line is available from Porsche for a few bucks per meter and you need about 1,200 mm. You can also replace them with your favorite vacuum hoses. I stay with stock lines since they hold up surprisingly well and they are light and less bulky.
Stock vacuum hose line P/n 00004320501 (1m)

I just want to document the info here hopefully helping the next guy.

Attachment 896507

My stock vacuum lines are still in very good shape as far as I can tell but the problems are all the "Y" and elbows. They are not sealing the best. Also, the vacuum reservoir is leaking slowly while tested with a hand vacuum pump. I also tested the changeover valves and they are all good.

The system is very simple. The vacuum is supplied to the one-way check valve from the intake plenum then it branches off to the vacuum reservoir and changeover valve #1, which powers the intake resonance actuator when electrical power is supplied.

The vacuum reservoir then supplies vacuum to changeover valve #2, which powers the SAI one-way check valve that opens whenever the SAI pump is running.

To check the system quickly, you can use connect a hand vacuum pump to the black/white valve and create vacuum. Then you power each changeover valve and you should hear the resonator flap rotates and the SAI valve moves as well.

To check whether the WHOLE system holds vacuum, remove the black/white valve and connect the pump there and start pumping. Vacuum level should stay once you reach some vacuum level and stop pumping.
How do I access the vacuum lines. Do I remove the alternator and even then my hands go nowhere near the lines and Y junctions. Is there a way from behind the rear seats or from under the rear end? Hopm eyou can help me out here Ashia. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
How do I access the vacuum lines. Do I remove the alternator and even then my hands go nowhere near the lines and Y junctions. Is there a way from behind the rear seats or from under the rear end? Hopm eyou can help me out here Ashia. Thanks.
Yes, you need to remove at least the alternator. If you need more room, you can remove the throttle body as well.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Access & visibility under the inlet manifold is a problem. I have a useful, peculiar tool to help. Kobalt Snake Light 15" LED. Not the hypercoil - that is too big.
The idea is to get the brightest ,smallest LED you can .
I found one with a mirror attachment .Have not tried it.
Amazon Amazon
Any tool purchase is better than removing the inlet manifold !
Let us know how it goes?
FYI I just ordered this (with 33LED lights!)for working in the same area. In theory I could use a borescope+laptop but that seems odd.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 02-07-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:04 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I accidentally knocked a vacuum line off when changing my alternator. I found it easiest to access it by removing the throttle body....and MUCH easier than removing the alternator...took me forever to wiggle the alternator out the first time, no way I was going through that again. Took 5 mins to remove the throttle body.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

The problem with the alternator removal is usually that pesky bushing at the back. It tends to corrode in place. If you can remember when you have the alternator out - put some grease on it.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Yeah, those bushing are tight and so is space around it. LOL
Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had my alternator out 4 times already. Also the Throttle body and idle body to clean both and replace with new gaskets. Tricky but doable. Found a broken vacuum line and joined it making it longer with fish tank air supply line. I would like to replace all lines as Ashai did. I do have a scope with LED light and hand held monitor but the dam thing is so hard to twist to see the Y junctions and what ever else. I shall persist and do the job eventually. ASHAI I had the idle valve in my hand. Can you tell me if the idler beveled door should close completely or is it always a sixteenth of an inch open with power off. I see it open fully when I add power from plug with ignition switch in the on position.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had my alternator out 4 times already. Also the Throttle body and idle body to clean both and replace with new gaskets. Tricky but doable. Found a broken vacuum line and joined it making it longer with fish tank air supply line. I would like to replace all lines as Ashai did. I do have a scope with LED light and hand held monitor but the dam thing is so hard to twist to see the Y junctions and what ever else. I shall persist and do the job eventually. ASHAI I had the idle valve in my hand. Can you tell me if the idler beveled door should close completely or is it always a sixteenth of an inch open with power off. I see it open fully when I add power from plug with ignition switch in the on position.
Referring to Idle Air Control Valve? If so, when you use current to activate the rotating valve, it never quite fully closes.

Quick Reply: MkII 996 vacuum line routing and related components