996 aero kit picture thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:58 AM
RandalJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gator996
I'll play. My 99 996.

Hey Gator, I like your side skirts. A bit more subtle than the factory aero ones. Where did you get them? Was thinking they'd look good on mine (also a '99):

In zenith blue of course...
Old 01-02-2015, 12:06 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Wayne, Happy New Year to you and your family. Your car still looks fantastic. It is hard to improve on your factory wheels, with the factory aero kit. I do not blame you for keeping your Porsche forever. Why upgrade? You might get a few more HP, but it certainly will not look any prettier. I drove mine today, after it had been parked for a month....it still puts a smile on my face. I doubt that I will ever part with it.
Randal, your Zenith car is very pretty...that is a striking color.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

'03
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Hey Wayne, Happy New Year to you and your family. Your car still looks fantastic. It is hard to improve on your factory wheels, with the factory aero kit. I do not blame you for keeping your Porsche forever. Why upgrade? You might get a few more HP, but it certainly will not look any prettier. I drove mine today, after it had been parked for a month....it still puts a smile on my face. I doubt that I will ever part with it.
Randal, your Zenith car is very pretty...that is a striking color.
Happy new year to you too!

The car is still running well. I detailed it over the holidays and it's amazing how good the paint looks for a 15 year old car. Even though I have to say that my M3 outperforms my 996 there's something about the 996 that just manages to keep me interested.

It's good to see you still hanging out here. It's nice to see a few familiar faces still around. I took a break from this place, as I got tired of the negativity and irrationality of some of the discussions. You can only take so much doom and gloom.

It's nice to see that your car is still running well. Do you have a new salvage project going? I think the last time I stopped in here was just around when the Maserati was sold.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Wayne, I understand your frustration with the doom and gloom posts. Both of the 996s that I have owned were extremely dependable. Your car looks better than the day you bought it...the factory aero kit you added really makes your car.
I promised my wife that I would not buy any more project cars until we have a dedicated shop. We are relocating our family to Idaho. We are done with CA.
I bought my dream air cooled 911 a few months ago....a 1980 RS clone. It broke down twice trying to get it home. I returned it to the seller. That experience cured my car addiction for a while.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Wayne, I understand your frustration with the doom and gloom posts. Both of the 996s that I have owned were extremely dependable. Your car looks better than the day you bought it...the factory aero kit you added really makes your car.
I promised my wife that I would not buy any more project cars until we have a dedicated shop. We are relocating our family to Idaho. We are done with CA.
I bought my dream air cooled 911 a few months ago....a 1980 RS clone. It broke down twice trying to get it home. I returned it to the seller. That experience cured my car addiction for a while.

Wow! Lots going on for you - that's pretty cool and I wish you well with all the changes.

Thanks for the kind comments on the car... year, she's pretty, I guess that's why I have a hard time thinking of giving her up... she's prettier than the M3, still looks awesome for her age, and as you said, incredibly reliable. I've never owned such a reliable and low maintenance car. That's what has annoyed me in the past when people bad mouth the 996, it really is a great car and at the height of the hysteria (fueled by some on RL), a relatively small percentage of failures was hyped up into the end of the world. It's easier just to tune out the BS on IMS, oil, etc and just focus on driving the car - way more fun!

I don't blame you for getting out of Commiefornia. My mother-in-law lives there and I shake my head at the stuff happening there. Pretty sad considering how nice it used to be. My wife grew up there and our first home was there, but there's no way I could live there now... hell, my entire firearms collection is illegal there - that's enough reason not to be there. Idaho is such a pretty state, I'm sure you'll find somewhere nice out there. I'm jealous.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have another project going, but can totally understand - you put so much time and effort into each project, I really don't know how you do it. Regardless, I'm sure something will catch your eye after your move. You've not attempted a Ferrari yet, so I could see one of those in your future.

Sorry to hear that the RS Clone turned out to be a dud - that must have been frustrating. Do you have photos posted somewhere of the car?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Wayne, here is the RS clone. It is too bad that it was not in the condition the seller described. It looked great, but leaked oil like a sieve, had no oil pressure (possibly due to being about two and a half quarts low on oil), and had a serious misfire.
Thanks for the kind wishes. We are excited about moving to Idaho. I have always wanted to live on a river. Real estate prices are about half of what they are here. The laws in CA regarding firearms are crazy. I can't wait to throw away the bullet button on my AR and get a real magazine. My oldest son is working at a gun store, while going to college. We are a family of NRA members. The smog laws also drive me nuts. I will be parking my 911 until we move. I did not pass the visual inspection due to my headers, high flow cats, and CAI...it has never been a problem previously at the same smog shop.
When I was in college, I worked for a Republican governor (Deukmejian) and volunteered on Reagan's campaign. I am looking forward to living among like minded people.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Wayne, here is the RS clone. It is too bad that it was not in the condition the seller described. It looked great, but leaked oil like a sieve, had no oil pressure (possibly due to being about two and a half quarts low on oil), and had a serious misfire.
Thanks for the kind wishes. We are excited about moving to Idaho. I have always wanted to live on a river. Real estate prices are about half of what they are here. The laws in CA regarding firearms are crazy. I can't wait to throw away the bullet button on my AR and get a real magazine. My oldest son is working at a gun store, while going to college. We are a family of NRA members. The smog laws also drive me nuts. I will be parking my 911 until we move. I did not pass the visual inspection due to my headers, high flow cats, and CAI...it has never been a problem previously at the same smog shop.
When I was in college, I worked for a Republican governor (Deukmejian) and volunteered on Reagan's campaign. I am looking forward to living among like minded people.
Oh Mark - heart braking in so many ways - that RS clone looked awesome. I can see why you bought it. Pity about the mechanical problems. That really sucks. Sorry to hear that the 996 didn't pass inspection. To be honest, I did always wonder how you managed to have all those mods and get through the visual inspection. Sorry to hear that you shop changed it's tune. Well, it will be something to look forward to when you can open her up on the nice empty roads of Idaho.

It's a pity we don't live closer, as I think we have a similar philosophy in life. I'm envious on the Idaho move. I've actually been land shopping here in NC as I would love to get a nice big plot, put a cabin and a firing range on it and hang out on weekends... combine that with fishing for my kids and you have heaven. I can imagine that it will be such a relief when you get the move done. When will the move be done? I really don't understand how CA has made such a huge shift in politics in the last 20 years. It has been very odd to watch... the sad thing is that the people I still know in CA bitch about it, but still keep electing the same politicians that keep sticking it to them.

As for the firearms thing, I keep hoping that the courts will catch up and free CA firearms owners. I feel bad for you guys. Sounds like your son will keep you stocked with a good collection of new toys when you move. I've just added a new Sig Sauer 516 into my collection (actually 2, as I liked the first one so much), so give it a try when you get the chance, I think you might like it. I was out on the range today breaking it in with a new Nikon scope... so much fun!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Oh Mark - heart braking in so many ways - that RS clone looked awesome. I can see why you bought it. Pity about the mechanical problems. That really sucks. Sorry to hear that the 996 didn't pass inspection. To be honest, I did always wonder how you managed to have all those mods and get through the visual inspection. Sorry to hear that you shop changed it's tune. Well, it will be something to look forward to when you can open her up on the nice empty roads of Idaho.

It's a pity we don't live closer, as I think we have a similar philosophy in life. I'm envious on the Idaho move. I've actually been land shopping here in NC as I would love to get a nice big plot, put a cabin and a firing range on it and hang out on weekends... combine that with fishing for my kids and you have heaven. I can imagine that it will be such a relief when you get the move done. When will the move be done? I really don't understand how CA has made such a huge shift in politics in the last 20 years. It has been very odd to watch... the sad thing is that the people I still know in CA bitch about it, but still keep electing the same politicians that keep sticking it to them.

As for the firearms thing, I keep hoping that the courts will catch up and free CA firearms owners. I feel bad for you guys. Sounds like your son will keep you stocked with a good collection of new toys when you move. I've just added a new Sig Sauer 516 into my collection (actually 2, as I liked the first one so much), so give it a try when you get the chance, I think you might like it. I was out on the range today breaking it in with a new Nikon scope... so much fun!
Wayne, I was really disappointed by my air cooled experience. It had been my dream for years. To be honest, my 996 is a better car for me...faster, and way more comfortable. It taught me to be happy with what I have.

The money will be better spent on our retirement home. My dad is 87 and my wife's parents are in their 70s. We are looking forward to having them live with us. Two out of three of our kids will be moving also, the third will only be about 7 hours away. We are looking forward to lots of fishing, shooting, hiking, etc. My favorite house has 70 acres on the Snake river with two houses and three gigantic shops (the largest is 12000 square feet). We could have an indoor range or kart track.

I also wish we lived closer. You and your family will always be welcome guests at our family compound. You sound like a kindred spirit. We are hoping to be moved by summer. Your cabin plan sounds like a great idea. The quality time that you would spend there with your kids is priceless.

The laws in CA are only getting worse. We recently passed an initiative that reduced numerous felonies to misdemeanors. The law is retroactive and will put thousands of convicted felons back out on the street....yet gun ownership by law abiding people is becoming more restrictive. Time to move.

The Sig 516 sounds like a great gun. My son raves about it. I bought the Colt AR, because it is what I carried in the trunk of my K9 unit for years. We bought our oldest daughter her first pistol (Sig Mosquito) and our youngest son his first pistol (Glock 19) for Christmas. Your range day sounds like fun. I will be taking the whole family to the range in the next couple weeks, so they can practise with the new guns. I share your dream of having a home firing range.

OP, sorry to kidnap your post.
The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (05-23-2021)
Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Ok now that you two are done catching up, how about some more aeros?
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2015, 08:41 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I've just added a new Sig Sauer 516 into my collection (actually 2, as I liked the first one so much), so give it a try when you get the chance, I think you might like it. I was out on the range today breaking it in with a new Nikon scope... so much fun!
Mfletch, I moved out of California 10 years ago also. I was able to add one of these to my collection last year (it's always go bigger in Texas).
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porsche-t
Mfletch, I moved out of California 10 years ago also. I was able to add one of these to my collection last year (it's always go bigger in Texas).
I'm envious of that! I'd hate to have to buy the ammo for it though - that's a pricey piece of kit.

Mark, I'll take our conversation to PM in order not to hijack the thread any more.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RandalJ
Hey Gator, I like your side skirts. A bit more subtle than the factory aero ones. Where did you get them? Was thinking they'd look good on mine (also a '99): In zenith blue of course...
The side skirts are from Tech Art. They were actually factory installed based on the special order from the original owner. I have never seen another one with those skirts.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Porsche-t, very cool toy. You were smart to escape to Texas.
Here are a couple aero pics to try and make up for my thread jacking. The first pic is a real MK1 GT3 that made it to the US.
Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2015, 03:14 PM
888MVMT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I'd share mine...

New Porsche owner and new member here!
Pick this up a couple weeks ago and wanted to post as well as introducing myself.

Already picked up some 18" CCWs, a roll bar, Recaro Drivers seat, new aero additions, temporary lowering suspension, and a few extra little goodies. Just wanted to add to this awesome thread!

Quick Reply: 996 aero kit picture thread.