Sponsored by:

Well it happened to me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:17 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
This is basically me, minus the winter storage!
Me too! I bought my 02' in 08' with 54,761 miles & it Now has 65k on it!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:21 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Originally Posted by andy92782
Any updates from the OP?

If it came to it and if I lived in an area without rigorous smog inspection (ie CA) I would go the Renegade Hybrids/LS3 conversion route (I'm not enough of a purist to care).

You can get an LS3 V8, brand new, for $8K:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...95009/10002/-1

Figure on $5-6K more for the rest of the bits needed for the conversion and your BOM cost probably isn't much more than it'd be for a used (or rebuilt) M96.
I Agree 100% & NEVER EVER Worry about it Again! & these cars Haul A$$!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
Any updates from the OP?

If it came to it and if I lived in an area without rigorous smog inspection (ie CA) I would go the Renegade Hybrids/LS3 conversion route (I'm not enough of a purist to care).

You can get an LS3 V8, brand new, for $8K:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...95009/10002/-1

Figure on $5-6K more for the rest of the bits needed for the conversion and your BOM cost probably isn't much more than it'd be for a used (or rebuilt) M96.
Along these lines, I recently learned of a company in Las Vegas that will do this conversion (they have a whole kit to do it, you don't need to reinvent the wheel here), and apparently they claim that it is CARB compliant for CA smog. I don't have a lot of details, but the guy that told me about it is a very reputable shop owner here in San Diego.

I'd like to learn more about this.

Anyone know of any LS conversions out there, and how it may affect the handling/performance of 996's? I imagine gas mileage must be horrendous.

Although at first I didn't like the idea of the Franken-car, it may be something I would consider if it is reasonably cost effective and results in a screamin' 996.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:45 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cuda,

There's a guy here in Fort Lauderdale that puts the LS engines in 924's and 944's, so I don't know why he couldn't do the 996. His name is Mike Gokey - German Car Performance.

Haven't spoken to him in quite a few years, but he used to take care of my buddy's 993 and he did some work on my 986S. He always had a 944 in the garage in some stage of conversion.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:47 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Along these lines, I recently learned of a company in Las Vegas that will do this conversion (they have a whole kit to do it, you don't need to reinvent the wheel here), and apparently they claim that it is CARB compliant for CA smog. I don't have a lot of details, but the guy that told me about it is a very reputable shop owner here in San Diego.

Anyone know of any LS conversions out there, and how it may affect the handling/performance of 996's? I imagine gas mileage must be horrendous.

Although at first I didn't like the idea of the Franken-car, it may be something I would consider if it is reasonably cost effective and results in a screamin' 996.
Yes, the company you're referring to is Renegade Hybrids. They have a few videos of LS3-transplanted 996s (and Boxsters) on YouTube. According to them, the LS3 is lighter overall than the M96 so the center of gravity isn't affected much despite the non-flat engine layout.

If it weren't for the CA bureaucracy in terms of getting it smogged, it would be a no brainer for me (but I understand not everyone wants their P-car to sound like a Vette).
Old 12-11-2014, 10:19 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Originally Posted by Cuda911

Cuda, that's the Renegade Hybrids Guys! Check'em out, last time I looked they had several videos of some of their cars & even showed some of them running around Vegas! Just saw, Andy beat me to it!
Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cuda, I live here in Vegas. If you go this route and I can be any help just let me know.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Hey all, yeah, Renegade, that's the one (I had forgotten their name).

So, what's the deal? Do you send them your car and they put in the LS? Or, do they sell the conversion kit and then you have your own mechanic do the install?

Anyone here have any personal first-hand experience them?

Thanks for the offer, JD.

Diesel, I don't mean to hijack your thread at all. Maybe this info. is useful to you too?

[EDIT: After my initial post here, I emailed Renegade with a bunch of questions, waiting to hear back.]

Last edited by Cuda911; 12-12-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Diesel76
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the continued support guys. Nothing new to report. I have a few calls into to local shops and will make a decision where to send it this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting the diagnosis so I can start making decisions about what to do.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I may not have a lot of posts here but I've been around since before I owned the car and I appreciate all the knowledge and opinions you all are offering.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember if you suspect is IMS failure you're part of the settlement, but the dealer or repair shop has to do the diagnosis for you and fill all paper work, if you bought it CPO 100% coverage if not 25%, you may be familiar with this but I'll give you the link anyway to see if your VIN is there http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/faqs/#qq8

Last edited by 911 carrera blue; 12-12-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Nedster
Racer

Last time i read about the IMS settlement was when it first came out so i could be wrong, but i thought it was good for cars up to ten years old? Since we are in December of 2014, I would think 10 year anniversary of the latest in service dates for even 2004 996 cars would have passed by now.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cuda,

There you go:

Problem is that you have a tip. Tip doesn't mate with V8.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel76
Monday afternoon, pulling out of a parking lot at my daughter's school, I'm lightly accelerating, RPMS about 3000, I hear a noise along with engine hesitation followed by the dreading marbles in a coffee can sound. Pull off at the first side street, turn off the car, look underneath and all the oil is pouring out of the engine.

Hasn't been diagnosed yet, but I've been hanging around here long enough to be pretty sure what it is. IMS.

So.... I have a couple questions for the people in the know. Anyone know what the going rate is for a re-manufactured engine from Porsche? Also, anyone have a guess what a 2004 C4S in otherwise excellent condition with a blown motor is worth?

My first choice is obviously to try to get it fixed and back on the road, but I fear worst case scenario is I may have to get rid of it. I'm just trying to go into this decision with the most information possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ship it on down, we have 3 DC cars heading this way just after the first of the year. Your mileage does make sense to attempt a resurrection of the engine.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue
Remember if your suspect is IMS failure you're part of the settlement, but the dealer or repair shop has to do the diagnosis for you and fill all paper work, if you bought it CPO 100% coverage if not 25%, you may be familiar with this but I'll give you the link anyway to see if your VIN is there

http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/faqs/#qq8

I think that window has passed. I think the date was Oct 14, 2014 when Porsche was let off the hook for these repairs. Worth a try for sure but doubtful since I suspect Porsche management probably has a bad taste in their mouth over the whole thing.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
My point was not that he couldn't get a goodwill motor, just that a smear campaign isn't going to have any (good effect) here.
"Smear" was probably the wrong word to use but a brand like Porsche should be ashamed of themselves if they are not willing to work with their customers for a failed low mileage car if the owner drove the car responsibly and not tracked it and if indeed it turns out to be the IXX. There is absolutely no excuse in any modern car not even being able to survive to at least 80-100k miles these days IMO.

Quick Reply: Well it happened to me...