996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Well it happened to me...

Old 12-11-2014, 02:02 PM
W.Bruckner
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Porsche is well aware these cars are bought be a number -- a majority? -- of people who use the car rather infrequently.

If Porsche believes the car must be driven a certain number of miles or driven in a certain way to ensure engine (or car) longevity then it should make this clear.

I do not believe that the owner is to blame for this. And for you to suggest this in some way lets Porsche off the hook for something for which I think it is solely to blame.
If indeed infrequent use is to blame, I can see why the company didn't find out until a certain number of failures were reported.

The development program comprised of accelerated use of prototypes by factory test drivers prior to mass production couldn't uncover issues resulting from long periods with engine and car sitting. Prototype motors and cars are run hard on dynos and roads to replicate years of use in a relatively short period of time, I can see it's not practical or even possible to test an automobile in conditions of occasional use. In the years that followed the first sales of the M96, when the problem(s) was(were) identified (if indeed its occurance is statisfically significant), fixing it for good may have required a major redesign that Porsche considered unnecessary for a host of reasons, good and bad.

I know many are tired of debating this issue and there are knowledgable people who shared indispensible experience on the issue, I just don't see any end to the discussion.

Originally Posted by Pcargo
These threads give me nightmares! You've had the car since 2007 and only have 29,000 miles on it? Sorry about your situation, but you hardly drove the car. It's a garage queen, like others have said that put you in the high risk category for IMSB failure. Drive the car slow it breaks, drive the car fast it breaks so I drive the hell out of it since it is gonna break anyways lol. It gives me at least a chance to enjoy the car.
I realize I may be contributing to the confusion with the above comments but there is no definitive answer as to what happened to the OP's car, it may well have nothing to do with IMS. My apologies if my comments were misplaced.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:05 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Porsche is well aware these cars are bought be a number -- a majority? -- of people who use the car rather infrequently.

If Porsche believes the car must be driven a certain number of miles or driven in a certain way to ensure engine (or car) longevity then it should make this clear.

I do not believe that the owner is to blame for this. And for you to suggest this in some way lets Porsche off the hook for something for which I think it is solely to blame.
What the potential owners would do with the cars has little bearing on what Porsche designed them to be capable of. These were designed (and quite successfully in my opinion) to have the essence of the 911 that eats up the track, but also be the first one that you really could drive day in and day out (no worries about over heating if it gets stuck in traffic on a hot day, the interior is decently appointed, the electricals aren't flaky, the AC/heat works, doesn't have as high of a tendency to swap ends, etc..).

It's also a well known fact for any car that letting them sit for long periods is a bad thing if it is ever to be driven. While this is certainly not an issue for a collector of rare cars, the 996 isn't a rare car by exotic numbers. The engines need to be moving regularly to keep themselves lubricated and things working properly.

Don't get me wrong, I feel horrible for the OP as it really sucks, but it has also been pretty clear that low milage examples of the 996 have a higher risk of failure than ones that are driven more frequently.

This doesn't excuse Porsche from a poor/questionable design and then not appropriately doing anything about it, but at this point you also have some responsibility if you choose to not drive the car and not replace the bearing. It's not a new issue and the methods of mitigating the risk aren't new either.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster, I am not blaming the OP for his situation. I was just pointing out that the OP claims to have driven the car a lot when he hasn't driven enough. I agree that a low mile car's engine shouldn't implode. No matter what car it is, it is bad to let a car sit for a long time. This is my first Pcar, (had it since May) so far the experience has been negative for me, but the smile I get from driving makes it all go away and I understand why people are so passionate about the brand. My family jokes that have "rebuilt" the car sinking time and money into it.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Hey, Diesel,

First, very sorry to hear about your car. As someone mentioned above, I am currently dealing with the same issue.

Here's a link to my thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...today-and.html

I think if you read through the thread, it will give you a pretty good idea of your options.

Also, in your original post, you ask how much a remanufactured engine from Porsche costs.

As far as I am aware, there or no "remanufactured" engines. A new one is about $20k. If you hunt around, you should probably be able to find a used one for 10 to 15 K.

[EDIT: Based on comments in this thread below, I guess the engines from Porsche are, in fact, remanufactured]

Regarding the value of your car with the blown motor: roughly 5 to 10K.

You might want to contact Jake Raby. He wouldn't take my car for a "repair" due to it's high mileage (I'm at 119,000 miles). He distinguishes between "repair" and "reconstruction". Based on your low mileage, I imagine he will take your car for "repair," but I don't know for sure.

So, ultimately there are no "great" options. It partly depends on how attached you are to the car.

I will certainly subscribe to your thread. Feel free to contact me if there is any additional info. I can provide.

Mike

Last edited by Cuda911; 12-11-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:48 PM
spencerusa
6th Gear

Maybe a dumb question but would a 996tt engine fit a C4S? A quick search reveals a couple for sale and, while more expensive than NA engines I've found, you surely wouldn't have any IMS issues.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by spencerusa
Maybe a dumb question but would a 996tt engine fit a C4S? A quick search reveals a couple for sale and, while more expensive than NA engines I've found, you surely wouldn't have any IMS issues.
Don't forget the $10,000 install fee to make it fit + the unavoidable overheating without the "Turbo" bodywork!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel76
Monday afternoon, pulling out of a parking lot at my daughter's school, I'm lightly accelerating, RPMS about 3000, I hear a noise along with engine hesitation followed by the dreading marbles in a coffee can sound. Pull off at the first side street, turn off the car, look underneath and all the oil is pouring out of the engine.

Hasn't been diagnosed yet, but I've been hanging around here long enough to be pretty sure what it is. IMS.

So.... I have a couple questions for the people in the know. Anyone know what the going rate is for a re-manufactured engine from Porsche? Also, anyone have a guess what a 2004 C4S in otherwise excellent condition with a blown motor is worth?

My first choice is obviously to try to get it fixed and back on the road, but I fear worst case scenario is I may have to get rid of it. I'm just trying to go into this decision with the most information possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear about this and I have experience with it.

I lost an engine in my 2004 C4S. I purchased the car private party in October 2011 with 23k miles and the engine went in March of 2013 with 37k miles on the clock.

In 2013 the dealer quote for a Porsche remanufactured engine was $22,000 plus $17,500 core deposit to be refunded at the discretion of Porsche after the failed engine was received and inspected. HUGE chunk of insanity there. When I first heard that I said I'd park it in my front yard and make a planter out of it for all to see.

My suggestion is to try the following as it worked for me and it has also worked for others.

Work with your Porsche Dealer and allow them to diagnose and confirm the failure.

Politely ask them to file a good will claim with PCNA - they might initially resist or refuse, just politely let them know that you are aware of other 2004 C4S owners who did in fact receive a Porsche Remanufactured engine through good will. Ask them to at least give it a shot. I was aware of another member of Rennlist who used this process successfully about a year prior to my experience and used that FACT to get my dealer to give it a try.

The process starts with the dealer submitting a request on-line. In my case PCNA denied the first request because I purchased the car private party and had multiple prior owners. The dealer then followed an appeal process and ending up working with someone on the phone.

I also own a 2004 996 C2 that I purchased from the dealer as a CPO car and religiously had that car serviced by the dealer. The C4S had been a CPO car under a prior owner and that car was also religiously serviced by Porsche dealers. The phrase that was used when PCNA informed the dealer that I qualified for an engine under the good will policy; "the customer has demonstrated brand loyalty". ( I think it's more like they knew they had a huge problem and they had no excuse of improper use or service )

So in the end Porsche agreed to provide the engine and I agreed to pay for labor and fluids. The crate engine comes complete with everything except the A/C compressor and the engine and all accessories are under warranty for two years. I used the warranty on an oil pressure sending switch and a faulty charging system cable.

Note that this was prior to the class action settlement but I still think it's worth a shot.

Best of luck and again I know first hand just how bad it can feel. The good news is it is something that can be fixed or replaced, albeit with a financial cost.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Best of luck. A painful reminder of my 99 with intermix blown engine. My solution was to sell the car. I can't express in words my anger at Porsche at the time. Even after being a lifelong porschephile with 7+ 911 I quit the marque for several years.
I was tempted back by good value 996 cars but have a different reality regarding what happens if it goes boom.
None of this helps your immediate personal feeling....but just know you are not alone and lessons learned by the group will help you navigate next steps.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:56 PM
9964ZNG
6th Gear

Give the guys at Lufteknic in Richmond a call. 888.356.2997.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:31 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcargo
These threads give me nightmares! You've had the car since 2007 and only have 29,000 miles on it? Sorry about your situation, but you hardly drove the car. It's a garage queen, like others have said that put you in the high risk category for IMSB failure....
This is basically me, minus the winter storage!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
All any attempted smear campaign about an IMS failure in a 996 will do at this point is add more fuel to the hysteria and drive the value down further. It won't hurt VAG at all or even amount to a blip in 991 sales.

I doubt any big sites would even bother running such a story as it is far from a new issue and there have already been plenty of owners denied assistance from PCNA.
Only reason why I said it is because it wasn't until the VW takeover that the lawsuit got settled.

There's also been many successful owners that got their motors replaced either 100% or partially.

Make a big stink about it and the worst they can say is no. There is nothing to lose but everything to gain potentially by at least trying.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Only reason why I said it is because it wasn't until the VW takeover that the lawsuit got settled.

There's also been many successful owners that got their motors replaced either 100% or partially.

Make a big stink about it and the worst they can say is no. There is nothing to lose but everything to gain potentially by at least trying.
Yes some people have had success and I wish that for him as well. In all the cases I know of though it was done by quite the opposite of making a stink about it.

My point was not that he couldn't get a goodwill motor, just that a smear campaign isn't going to have any (good effect) here.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really sorry to hear that, Hopefully everything won't be as Bad as you originally thought! Macster had some Really Great ideas also, the LS1-2 was Exactly what I was thinking BUT be prepared to be Black-Balled by some on here! I've seen some Really NICE ones that have been done & where I live there's not but 1-2 Porsche Indy's & they get the Calculator out when they see you coming! With the LS1-2 motor you Don't have to worry about that, there's Indy's EVERYWHERE that can work on it! GL with whichever Direction you take!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Any updates from the OP?

If it came to it and if I lived in an area without rigorous smog inspection (ie CA) I would go the Renegade Hybrids/LS3 conversion route (I'm not enough of a purist to care).

You can get an LS3 V8, brand new, for $8K:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...95009/10002/-1

Figure on $5-6K more for the rest of the bits needed for the conversion and your BOM cost probably isn't much more than it'd be for a used (or rebuilt) M96.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:14 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with Andy. And I blame him getting me into this 996 mess. Haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well it happened to me...