Sponsored by:

Well it happened to me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

That is truly bad news.

I'd second the advice to get the engine diagnosed but leaking oil is almost certainly a sign the engine's toast. Whether it died from a failed IMSB, a rod bolt failing, or something else I don't see that it makes much difference at this point.

Rather than just send you on a search for more info I have cut and pasted a response I offered up to another owner who recently has his 996 engine go boom.

What to do now?

Right now nothing. Take some time to reflect on the situation.

My thoughts are the car is still a great car. If you haven't fallen out of love with it, think about getting it back on the road. Or not.

What options do you have open to you?

I like to lay them all out.

1) Factory replacement engine. You know the con: Expensive. (But price a factory replacement engine when you feel up to it just so you know). Pros: Drop in simple. Comes with some warranty. Car will be easy to move on when (if) the time comes. The car is not a Frankenstein.

2) Rebuild the existing engine. However, given the failure mode I'm going to go out on a limb and say the engine is probably not rebuildable. I'm not sure mixing cases with these engines is advisable, let alone possible. You can be facing some expense to tear the engine apart just to find it is not rebuildable.

However, you might want to consider consulting with a higher authority on this subject. Give Jake Raby a call and see what he has to say. I don't speak for him, obviously, but I have to offer be prepared for he may *not* be willing to discuss this over the phone. I could understand this position. He would have to make a very important decision based on just hearsay. If he says the engine's rebuildable and it proves to not be once it is in his shop then there's that to deal with. If he says it is not rebuildable and you find another shop who is willing to rebuild it, well that's the other side. But give JR a call and listen to what he has to say.

3) Salvage engine. There may not be any now but just wait. Cons: Getting a good engine. If the car shows up totaled from a front end collision the engine's probably good. Better if the car's equipped with a Tip. You want avoid a flood car (for obvious reasons), a recovered stolen car (for obvious reasons).

4) Frankenstein the car. Now maybe "Frankenstein" is painting this option a bit negatively unfairly. It is your car and your money and you have to make the choice that feels best to you. But a LS2 engine swap may be something to consider. I have not seem one up close and personal and I would have to in order to be able to better judge the quality of the job and ideally at least have a ride in one to judge the car's character. My opinion except for the number of cylinders and their layout this should look "factory". Any loose wiring, flopping hoses, just any signs of anything not bolted down, secured by proper straps, improperly routed, inexplicable CELs, vague references to overheating, or any other issues or troubles, keep looking.

5) Sell the car as is where is and move on. Give Oklahoma Foreign a call and talk to somewhere there about the circumstances and see what the offer is and how the transaction goes down. This might be financially a bit brutal but the break is clean and you can move on with your life. And while this might be brutal just have the wrong shop take on rebuilding the engine, or elect to install a V8 and pick the wrong shop. Those will be financially and emotionally brutal and then some. Remember, there is always another car.

Think about the above. Research what you can about the above. You want to learn enough about all your choices so when the time comes you make the best decision for you.

Best of luck.

Let me add that I expect the engine would not meet the core requirement so a factory rebuilt (or remanufactured) engine if there is a core charge and I think there is the charge would be quite high. For example: A few years ago for my 2002 2.7l Boxster an engine with a suitable core was around $16K. Without the core around $26K.

(The Boxster's engine was fine I was just curious.)

Even though I have the money for a $16K engine, even a $27K engine, I think I would explore an engine from a Porsche salvage business first.

Last but not least let me repeat: Best of luck.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I would be more pissed...this happening just simply pulling out of a parking lot or going full throttle. I think it would kill me to blow a motor not trying to! Man I am sorry to hear about this. If it helps, I have now done 3 IMS bearings...all LN in 3 different cars and I still worry about the freaking IMS. I wish you the best for a speedy fix and as inexpensive as possible...
Old 12-10-2014, 09:45 PM
RC000E
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

If you end up selling, I'd have some interest in the car if it's a manual. Sorry about the horrid circumstances. Sometimes all you can do is figure out how to turn a bad situation into a positive outcome...maybe buy something new/different, build, etc.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm know the pain you feel...my motor went on the track at 121k miles. Spun bearing for me. You will sort it out in time. Get the straight poop from the mechanic and don't listen to all the hypothesis. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry that you're going through this. Fortunately, there is plenty of help on this forum. Best of luck.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm deeply sorry about your engine, now the final decision comes to you!!!!
Is it worth it to spend money to put it back on track or just pretend you did a lease and let it go.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 AM
soflo911
7th Gear

Default IMS nightmare

This is a tragedy 20k motor dead.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:57 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

There is a X51 3.6 motor for sale here for $14K. Hope your core can be salvaged to offset this expense.

Contact PCNA if you have dealer maintained records and see if they are willing to goodwill an engine. Will not hurt to try given your mileage.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Contact PCNA if you have dealer maintained records and see if they are willing to goodwill an engine. Will not hurt to try given your mileage.
This.

Especially since they're owned by VW now and they want to hold up their image not to mention having greater resources. I bet they would rather try to accommodate you in some way rather than risk another smear campaign. Imagine if this got out to a place like Jalopnik and went viral. That would be a PR nightmare for them.

But first get it diagnosed and also check to see if your vin is included in the suit.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:33 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
I bet they would rather try to accommodate you in some way rather than risk another smear campaign. Imagine if this got out to a place like Jalopnik and went viral. That would be a PR nightmare for them
All any attempted smear campaign about an IMS failure in a 996 will do at this point is add more fuel to the hysteria and drive the value down further. It won't hurt VAG at all or even amount to a blip in 991 sales.

I doubt any big sites would even bother running such a story as it is far from a new issue and there have already been plenty of owners denied assistance from PCNA.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

These threads give me nightmares! You've had the car since 2007 and only have 29,000 miles on it? Sorry about your situation, but you hardly drove the car. It's a garage queen, like others have said that put you in the high risk category for IMSB failure. Drive the car slow it breaks, drive the car fast it breaks so I drive the hell out of it since it is gonna break anyways lol. It gives me at least a chance to enjoy the car.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:31 PM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

With the low rpm and sudden engine hesitation, wondering if the IMSB Guardian would have detected the prob in time ?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:37 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Its supposed to if there is enough bearing material being shed before destruction. You know what is 100% proven to prevent? Replace bearing as PM but everyone knows this. Its just a roll of the dice if your one of the 10%.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:11 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KK, The failure rate is not 10%. It makes the news because its such an expensive repair and the repair can easily equal the value of the car. If it was a 20,000 dollar repair on a 200,000 dollar Ferrari it wouldn't be a big deal. The 996 can be damn near guaranteed that this will never happen for a few thousand dollars. The problem is even that is expensive compared to the cars monetary worth so most owners won't do it. Once again if it was a Ferrari owner he would have it done when he got the car detailed and not given it a second thought. I have owned two Ferrari's in my lifetime, both 12 cylinder and one I bought new. The 996 that I drive today is every bit the supercar my Ferrari's were back then and more. The value of these cars is in driving them and not monetary. You never read a post about how lousy driving these cars are, only the exact opposite. Of course we all dread hearing that someones motor just bit the dust, we know that it could have just as likely been us unless the issue has already been dealt with.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcargo
These threads give me nightmares! You've had the car since 2007 and only have 29,000 miles on it? Sorry about your situation, but you hardly drove the car. It's a garage queen, like others have said that put you in the high risk category for IMSB failure. Drive the car slow it breaks, drive the car fast it breaks so I drive the hell out of it since it is gonna break anyways lol. It gives me at least a chance to enjoy the car.
Porsche is well aware these cars are bought be a number -- a majority? -- of people who use the car rather infrequently.

If Porsche believes the car must be driven a certain number of miles or driven in a certain way to ensure engine (or car) longevity then it should make this clear.

I do not believe that the owner is to blame for this. And for you to suggest this in some way lets Porsche off the hook for something for which I think it is solely to blame.

Quick Reply: Well it happened to me...