Sponsored by:

My 1999 996 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Austinmark
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My 1999 996 will not start

My 996 usually starts quick and strong. Last night when the car was cold and it was in the 40s out, I moved it from outside to the garage. The car was on for a very short time .. I know this is a bad thing to do. Today it will not start. It turns over good, but just spins and is not starting. Is there something in this short trip that could have messed something up? In ideas on how do undo it?

Mark
Old 11-16-2014, 10:09 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put gas in it.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinmark
My 996 usually starts quick and strong. Last night when the car was cold and it was in the 40s out, I moved it from outside to the garage. The car was on for a very short time .. I know this is a bad thing to do. Today it will not start. It turns over good, but just spins and is not starting. Is there something in this short trip that could have messed something up? In ideas on how do undo it?

Mark
Could be a couple of things. My favorite is the fuel pump.

Classic fuel pump failure. The engine cranks just fine but not one hint of any cylinders firing.

After a few seconds of cranking with no signs of engine life, give a sniff of the exhaust. If you don't smell fuel...Fuel pump. NO need to run the start too much. You'll have a burned out starter to go with your burned out fuel pump.

Well, I shouldn't get too confident. It could be a fuse or a relay.

Another possibility is a crankshaft position sensor (CPS). But fuel pumps fail more often than CPS's.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinmark
Is there something in this short trip that could have messed something up? In ideas on how do undo it?
What Macster said. And no, running the engine briefly would have no effect such as you are experiencing.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

First check fuses c1, c2 and c4. Turn the key to the last position before crank and stay there. You should hear the fuel pump priming for a second or two. When you crank, note if the techo needle bounces a bit.

Quick Reply: My 1999 996 will not start