Sponsored by:

Looking for a Good quality TPMS to fit in middle console storage

Old 08-24-2023, 07:26 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Looking for a Good quality TPMS to fit in middle console storage

Hi guys

1st of all, to say I did a search and found nothing... we have several threads here but nothing really specific

I would like to install a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in my 996 Carrera.
(I usually check the pressure with my manual gauge before starting to go out for driving, although I had an issue suffering a puncture which I couldn't detect on time and ruined a new tire...

My idea is to delete the CD storage (I never use it for a long time ago) and fit the monitor inside it, trying to have the best and 'clean' look if possible.

Of course I would install the sensors inside the rims (not going for the external valve retrofit ones. So, my questions are:

1) do you know which aftermarket brand is good to go for?

2) Any example of a good looking display in this compartment ? I could see solar panels powered, chinese cheap staff... I want something basic, solid, and nice

Thanks so much in advance

Old 08-25-2023, 12:59 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 210 Posts

Sub'd. I have toyed w adding aftermarket tpms but there's just been so many other priorities... For now, I combine the gauge and pump in one with a cordless 'oak and iron' compressor I bought off Kickstarter. I've since moved to Canada. It's available here on Amazon for a bit more $ OAK&IRON Battery Tire Inflator 2X Faster Inflation Portable Air Compressor 150PSI Cordless Tire Pump with LED Screen for Cars, Bikes, Motorcycles, and *****. I'm sure it's in USA as well, or something similar. I tested it for accuracy against my quality JACO 60psi pressure gauge, which has 1lb increments. The results match. I've never liked the cheapie digital or analog gauges that estimate my tire pressure. My 996 has new tires and alignment, gotta keep her in fine fettle. Anyway, the compressor, while not automatic like a tpms, at least makes pressure testing a one step process. For track I'm sure a tpms is a major boon! If you find a cost effective solution, I'm in. Good luck 👍
Old 08-25-2023, 03:18 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your inputs
Old 08-25-2023, 03:34 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Something like this?
https://www.tpmsbargains.com/Schrade...s-retro-02.htm
Old 08-26-2023, 03:13 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Thanks for sharing it

Yes, something like this could work. The main unit is Solar Powered and Wireless.
I need to see how to fit in the old CD storage compartment...

Old 08-26-2023, 11:51 AM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

interested in this too!
Old 08-26-2023, 05:34 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
It's solar powered and it looks to me like the solar panel is on top of the unit, so it looks like it's intended to be placed on top of the dash where the sun can hit it. I don't think it would work in the console unless you can somehow remote mount the panel or bypass it and connect to vehicle 12v.
The following users liked this post:
juankimalo (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 03:12 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

BTW, Easy to remove the CD storage

The following users liked this post:
Patunia (04-12-2024)
Old 08-27-2023, 04:22 PM
allcool
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 118 Posts

Well, you asked...
This is an inexpensive option that surprises me with its quality, so far. might also be good for some here if they don't use the lighter. I've installed 4 of these in the last year. 1 on a older work van inside rim/tire, and 1 on another old work truck on valve stems. 2 went on both my 996. So far so good. Time will tell. Tried the solar ones, they suk big time, 12v powered is the way to go imo

You have the option to mount the sensors on the valve stem, or when tires are off, can put a blob of silicone adhesive sealant near to inner valve stem and stick the sensor inside the rim. Just face the open end of sensor up. Use a strip of tape to keep it in place till the silicone dries. I recommend not mounting tire or driving till silicone dries. The cig lighter plug isn't European on this tpms head unit so it was very lose. I siliconed a thin vinyl pad on plug end that tightened it up nice and tight.

This tpms also measures tire temps and voltage. You can set the hi and low psi/temp alarm points. Also can change to bar/C°, and has a usb charge port on the side of head unit.
For $29 bucks its a throw away if you don't like it....

Ya, i know it doesn't look factory oem at all, but the old knees don't like checking each tire before every ride or after maybe running over some unavoidable road debris and wondering if you're losing tire pressure. This nicely stops that for a very reasonable price while not looking to out of place in the 996. $29
jmo

Amazon Amazon

The following 2 users liked this post by allcool:
dcsjc (08-28-2023), Porschetech3 (09-11-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 05:50 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Good!!!
This is a cheap solution at all!!

Probably a friend of mine with good knowledge of electricity could fine the way to connect it directly to power
I prefer inner rim sensors than the valve stem ones.
Once you do the tire replacement, It's the best way to fit them and do the correct balance to the wheel mounting

Last edited by juankimalo; 08-27-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:09 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Ok you got me curious so I found this,,,,
https://www.bartecusa.com/tpms-retrofit-kit

it uses in the wheel standard style valve stem tpms sensors and has a tiny head unit... Looks like its small enough, I was thinking a 3d printed bezel that fit in place of the CD holder...
The following 2 users liked this post by pdxmotorhead:
dxrohanx (08-29-2023), juankimalo (09-12-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 07:17 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Not solar, very accurate and not expensive. Can’t say how long it will last, but I have used 4 of them in the last 2 years. The unit can be Velcroed to the side of the bin. Tires have to come off or at least be broken down in the spot where the valve stem is. They have Duracell lithium batteries in them,
Old 08-28-2023, 02:29 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Yes, I saw this other one when searching in internet...
Old 08-28-2023, 02:45 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

I found this one
(I don't like it, too many wires in center console... but It's and idea)

https://www.reddit.com/r/functionalp...h_a/?rdt=33323

https://imgur.com/a/h3N2eyF
Old 09-11-2023, 10:17 AM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

I had bought the same style as the one allcool linked in the past and could just not get anything to pair, picked up that one for $30 and it fired right up and got data, so for that price point I'm pretty happy. Putting the sensor in the rim would be great, my concern though is if you ever need to re-pair the device you're out of luck, but for $30 you could just get a second set until the next time the tires are off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a Good quality TPMS to fit in middle console storage