996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ziptie clutch pedal switch question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:55 PM
MBA-Sailor
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ziptie clutch pedal switch question...

I remember reading somewhere here (and now cannot locate it) about zip tying a clutch pedal switch, which results in the computer not changing the throttle map when you depress the clutch, resulting in smoother shifts.

Can someone remind me which switch this is? Is it #17 in the below diagram, or another switch? AKA, is it the switch that is rearward of the pedal arm (switch is towards rear of car vis a vis pedal arm) or the switch forward of the pedal arm (towards the frunk)?
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2014, 10:32 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Looks like this and this thread have the info you are looking for?

Looks like two different microswitches, one interlocks the starter, the other kicks off the cruise control and (purportedly) affects throttle response by retarding timing. Seems like zip-tying either of them might have some negative consequences... Like if you press the clutch when cruise control is on, your cruise will not kick off and revs will surge to redline.

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
The plunger switch is to detect the slightest pedal depression to allow disengagement of the cruise control. Adjacent to the plunger switch is a bracket holding a micro switch. That switch is gray in color and has two wires attached (brown and yellow). It has a metal blade on its top that is depressed by a tab on the pedal arm when the pedal is pushed to the floor (to satisfy the liability issues associated with people starting cars in gear).

The micro switch is #16:

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

People do this as a modification for smoother shifting!?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:53 PM
MBA-Sailor
Instructor

Apparently so...
Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 AM
MBA-Sailor
Instructor

Has anyone tried this? I plan to try it, and will report back... but curious if this is a common mod or viewed as a waste of time, or detrimental.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:43 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

I can only imagine the factory engineered the DME to retard timing as a shift is being performed for a reason... All those engineering dollars vs. a zip tie? I'd vote for the stock engineered solution!

I am curious, what are you trying to gain with this change? Besides the loss of cruise control functionality and an increase in the likelihood of pinging/detonation at low RPM?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me, do not tamper with part 17 and 16. They are to be left completely stock! I know from A LOT of experience with these two items.

The only thing you can play with in that diagram is the clutch spring. Mine is and was broken since I bought it and I never decided to do anything about it. harder clutch pedal but I got used to it this way.

Quick Reply: Ziptie clutch pedal switch question...