Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Trying to diagnose a starting issue on my 4S and need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
I switched the one I keep replacing because it in fact was causing me issues with my clutch response/throttle. My exhaust note would completely change (no more mean growl) my sweet spot for engagement would be off, and taking off from first would be extremely difficult cause my sweet spot was essentially gone. I'd have to stop, go under the pedals and pull the black plastic tab out and then voila, back to normal. But the proper fix was a new switch which I have now.

I will install the new gray microswitch in the next 2 days and report back. If that doesn't fix it, it's most likely my starter.
Ok, I think it's a terminology issue then. I call the gray switch the clutch interlock switch because it locks the starter from starting. If you have not replaced the gray switch, your odds are pretty good that it is the culprit of the starting problem.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:57 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

In this pic, I can't believe how close the tab part that sticks out of the red switch is. Mine is much longer. It touches the clutch point as well just like yours and there's no gap in between but if my tab was pushed that much in, it would cause me the problems I mentioned above. I opened the switch up, and there's tabs inside. So once you push it in past a certain tab, it is not meant to pull out. I pulled it out though forcefully and it worked fine for some time unless by accident you put your foot under the pedal and pull up, cause it to go in more.
It sounds like your clutch pedal is not returning all of the way every time. Does your car still have the clutch assist spring? Is it functioning? IE: not broken inside the can. It is the red spring in the tan housing in the above pic.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fpb111
It sounds like your clutch pedal is not returning all of the way every time. Does your car still have the clutch assist spring? Is it functioning? IE: not broken inside the can. It is the red spring in the tan housing in the above pic.
Mine is broken inside.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gray switch fixed my starting issue. It also fixed my sunroof issues, and a weird window issue. The clicking noise is also much quieter with the new part.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

The gray switch fixed my starting issue. It also fixed my sunroof issues, and a weird window issue. The clicking noise is also much quieter with the new part.
All right! It's only responsible for the starter so not sure how it fixed your other issues but who cares now everything seems to work fine

Quick Reply: Trying to diagnose a starting issue on my 4S and need HELP!