Sponsored by:

2002 Aerokit option confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 10:57 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Longhorn,
Viken, along with a couple of other posts here are spot on.
2003 996, The factory Aero was called Cup II Aerokit.
However,
There is a variation of this referred to "Carrera Aero".
The difference is the CupII, was a complete option, consisting of the GT3 wing, Rockers and Front Bumper with air splitter.
The Carrera Areo, is comprised of three options, Carrera Style Rear Wing, Flared Rockers and GT3 Front Bumper with Air Splitter.
After almost 3 years of research on this, hence my car, I have not determined if the name Carrera Aero, was something that US dealers came up on their own, as from Porsche the three options were separate.
What you will find interesting in your search for a front bumper, is the repetitive warning from Porsche, "DO NOT INSTALL THIS FRONT BUMPER ON A VEHICLE WITHOUT A REAR SPOILER / WING"
As you can see in my pictures, my 2003 came from factory with options, Carrera Wing and Flared Rockers.
I choose to install a factory Porsche GT3 / Aero Front Bumper.
Now, to add more confusion, there are 3 difference front splitters that go on this front bumper, check out this thread
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...t2-bumper.html
I have included a picture for you of both bumpers in same Photo, I hope this sheds some light.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:09 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

BTW, IMO saving a couple hundred dollars on an aftermarket front bumper is not worth it.
Not only for fit and finish, but when you purchase the factory Porsche, you get the grill insert ($100), a factory GT3 splitter ($200) along with new plastic connectors.
You may also want to upgrade your brake ducts to the GT3, they only cost about $40.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:16 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to just add the GT3-Tek front spoiler to the stock 02-03 bumper and then purchase gt3 sides and a wing separately... I believe through my research this is the most cost affective approach...
Old 01-31-2016, 04:22 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good idea, post some pictures when you are done
GL
Old 02-03-2016, 04:37 AM
pierre_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the great post GL
Am I understanding correctly when I say that your car is a cupII where you added the gt3 front bumper to turn it into a carrera aero?
I thought the naming was opposite: cupII with gt3 bumper and carrera without
Old 02-04-2016, 07:52 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Pierre
From what I found the Carrera is derived from the Carrera Fixed Wing, in stead of the GT3 Fixed Wing.
But more light has been shed on this Aero topic recently that's makes sense.
I would like to mention, somewhere on one of these Aero threads, someone mentioned the GT3 style bumper on a C2 doesn't look right with center openning without third radiator.
The factory Aero bumper comes with the black grill trim and the center grill is not cut out, different from GT3 bumper where the center grill is cut out.

Quick Reply: 2002 Aerokit option confusion!